'97 fjz80 busted rad. is head damage likely? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
looking at buying an 80 price is right but the radiator is busted
owner says he never saw the guage go red but im skeptical.
what say you mudders? is the head warped?
im fine with it if so just wondering the likelihood
Thanks!!!

Make an offer with a rebuild/parts in mind...If it doesn't need a head gasket then you win!

Since this likely won't sell too fast. Phone Blackstone Labs and have them send you an oil sample kit ASAP, then go get a small sample yourself from the vehicle and send it in. In this case, this is by far the best way to proceed; of course there's a chance someone else could scoop it, but the HG job is costly and time consuming. Blackstone will tell you what's what with that engine, and you might have an opportunity to buy a good rig for a good price - OR have a strong position to negotiate from.

Is this 80 white and asking $2,800.00?

Since this likely won't sell too fast. Phone Blackstone Labs and have them send you an oil sample kit ASAP, then go get a small sample yourself from the vehicle and send it in. In this case, this is by far the best way to proceed; of course there's a chance someone else could scoop it, but the HG job is costly and time consuming. Blackstone will tell you what's what with that engine, and you might have an opportunity to buy a good rig for a good price - OR have a strong position to negotiate from.
^^ this ^^

If you came to my house with your blackstone labs kit and told me you wanted a sample, then you would let me know in 3-6 weeks if you were buying, well, you would not be at my house much longer. Besides if the price is right, like the OP said, then that truck isn't just going to sit around because its got a cracked radiator ! The factory radiators crack on these trucks, its the facts, they have plastic end tanks and it is common after 20 years of service. Here's an idea, start the truck and see what happens. See how it runs, does it smoke, whats the oil look like, etc.

If I went to your house and you refused an oil analysis (where do you get 3-6 weeks?) I would happily drive off knowing I didn't get screwed - particularly if the owner knew the 1FZ's strong and weak points. If your 80 Series had a good analysis, I would pay asking price and be confident we would remain friends in the future! Speaking of facts, these trucks have a reputation for HG issues too.
(P.S. BTW, I was born in Dodge City.)

I went by when the owner wasn't there(with permission of course) and the top tank was completely ruptured
basically I could look at 75% of the tubes. lots of debris. possibly just clogged. gonna go back and hear it
run tomorrow and look at the oil and we'll see. as bad as it mustve blown it prolly didn't do anything other than get pulled
to the roadside.

ya my suspicion is clogged rad compromised coolant flow causing an over heat
old rad couldn't take the pressure and kerblamo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom