The Cursed Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So as a few know on here I managed to flip my old 89 Toyota. After looking around trying to find a decent truck that needed work I found an '84 Pickup. I got it with what I believe is a weber carb, I haven't pulled it off to check but I will be doing a carb rebuild soon. It has a 22R with 175k miles. The beds rusty but I was still able to drive it over 100 miles home I'll be posting some pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
My 87 was that way. No rust anywhere, except the fenders on the bed.

Post up some pics of the beauty.

Well no pictures today. It stayed 20 degrees all day and I didn't feel like standing outside more then I had to. I will say the other day I did do an oil change. Thank god for that. This is the oil and oil filter that came out. I put 10w-30 full synthetic back in and a Toyota oil filter.

1416375698885.jpg

1416375708939.jpg

Here's a teaser. Its got different tires on it now

1416378083558.jpg

Well there's 5 pictures of it. Its not the best looking truck but it does get around on and off the road.

1416675074026.jpg

1416675092212.jpg

1416675102059.jpg

1416675116174.jpg

1416675126629.jpg

Its got what I believe is a weber carb that will get rebuilt next weekend hopefully with a holly fuel pressure regulator that the Po's didn't know it needed. Its got the awesome Toyoda power steering cap though. Which I do truly love and I've got my exide battery in. Then comes my favorite part. Original 1984 Toyota manuals that came with the truck. The plans for this truck are to make it a nice stock 84 have it painted the cream colour again and get new front leaves and rebuild that front axle and do the other things like timing chain dealing with rust that's on the bed.

1416675216735.jpg

1416675272741.jpg

1416675348571.jpg

So I just rebuilt the carb, I have no clue what brand it is other then some weber parts fit but I had to cut out the gaskets. Now it won't run worth crap. I have no clue why. I've tried turning every screw I can and nothing. I'm wondering if I screwed something up. Any input would be great right now.

I'd love to get that for a Weber 32/36 but I can't because of funds. I do have all the efi stuff but it's on my wrecked truck that I'm trying to fix up

Well I need some help. I've got a list of things to do that will bring it up to the way it should be. My question is it's only got 175k on the odo so should I spend my guess is around 1000 to rebuild the engine with a lce kit new hoses and all that or just wait until it needs it in about another 125,000 miles. Any thoughts?

Rebuild? Nah. I would at minimum replace the timing chain (http://www.engnbldr.com/build-a-kit-81-84.html is a good source) get the timing kit, and water pump. I'm just assuming that kit doesn't come with a water pump.

Otherwise a good tune is all she should need. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor are a good start. A fuel filter might not be a bad Idea either.

Frankly, if you are going to go through the effort to replace the timing chain, I would pull the engine and rebuild. Otherwise, tune it up and drive the snot out of it until it needs rebuilding, or the chain fails.

Well I was gonna do the chain anyways. I did it on my re and used engnbldr kit and liked it. And its getting the tune up. I know there's issues with HG's and timing chains but I know how to deal with that without ruining it. I was also thinking of just getting their economic kit since its only got 175k verse there master rebuild.

Subscribed! I also have an 84 but it is a pos compared to yours. Wanting to wheel it next year. Take lots of pics for newbs like myself.

FYI if it's a pre-8/84 truck you can run a double row chain under your timing cover, with wider metal guides.

So I'm debating also with using the engnbldr kit I really just want to break it down to just put new seals in and maybe a few other things. My plans are too delete all smog stuff since it has Cali emissions. I've done since of that and will add info on that once at the computer. Has anyone had any luck just replacing the bedsides verse the whole bed? I'm not sure of the price difference or if its worth it since I also need a new tail gate. I also found out it's a fake Weber carb that I have.

Last edited:
As much as I like them that's a little out of my price range. 300$ per side for the bed sides, I'd be better off getting a used be from my local junk yard. I'm trying to find the site I found one that has then for $135 and they're metal. Thank you though Kris, I know someone will find it useful.

Feel free to chime in. I have a wrecked truck with a running re. I'm wondering if it'd be wise to swap engines as I'm building the wrecked one and am probably going to do a 3rz swap with the a340f auto tranny and not the H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom