OEM Pintle Hook (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
From the Jim C book
Save0010.jpg

FJ25 Microfiche
DSC_8140.jpg

DSC_8141.jpg

1961/1962 parts book
Save0113.jpg

Save0114.jpg

Pintel misspelled so people will find this thread ;)

Last edited:
Last edited:
quote from this thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rear-step-1962-fj40.756418/#post-8689768 :

This is what LIVING IN THE PAST said:

"I have a technial bulletin from 62 that states soft top models witn no longer have the pintle hook standard and for dealers not to report it missing. Unlike other items no VIN was listed as a time it changed. Only two things about 100% sure of. Hard top models never came with a tailgate and cruisers with a tailgate did come a rear step. My very early 61 hard top did have a pintle with eye bolts for the trailer safety chains. I also believe just because a cruiser came with pintle hook that didn't mean it had the trailer light wiring with a plug".

its interesting that the pintles were not the same... very close but still different

You can barely see the picture in the FJ25 microfiche has the small ridge on the upper half. The 1961 parts manual appears to show no ridge. Keep in mind that is an artist's rendering though.

I was looking at the lock head... seems a bit more blunt end on nuke's then the other one

Also nukes has the bolt thru for the release where as the older has A flush pin

And the ribs going to the 4 mounting bolt areas seem a bit different as well

The black ones by them selves don't have a ridge on the lock head at all

BTW... Thanks for collecting and posting these together :)

I may have just caused a tear in the fabric of space and time! With a little research, it appears 200 series parts fit on my FJ25! Toyota hasn't changed the design much at all over the years :)

51980 HOOK ASSY, PINTLE
51980-60012 1 $416.36

51985 HOOK, EYELET PINTLE
51985-60011 2 $24.67

51987 BRACKET, PINTLE HOOK
51987-60021 1 $36.61

DSC_8220lr.jpg

DSC_8212lr.jpg

DSC_8214lr.jpg

DSC_8216lr.jpg

Last edited:
the bracket wasn't used on the early models and the bolts were shorter to accommodate.

does the bracket go behind to reinforce or in front to space the pintle out farther on the 200

Here is a photo of the eyebolts side by side. The thread size and pitch are the same. If you don't use the plate, you can cut down the bolt and rethread it. I threaded both nuts on to the opposite bolt to verify they were the same.

DSC_8236.jpg

So what JimC book do you speak of Treeroot? [off to email Jim :lol: ]

1959 - 1961 Service News Bulletin and TSBs Jim gave me years ago.

WOW, thank's Treeroot, I just ordered my two eyebolts! The pintle and backer are not available. It appears early cruisers did not use the 51987 bracket. John

Bad News, eyebolts not available in Calif. Could someone check out another market area? Thank's, John

Just curious could the spacer be installed behind the crossmember? That way no mods would be required. Also looks like the pintle hook has never been update to have a cotter pin to lock it closed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom