Which winch for a 105 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everybody! This is going to be my first winch purchase. Like the post states, it's for my 105 series, pretty much stock. I'm not sure whether to categorize it as an 80 or 100 in terms of the x1.5 equation of buying a winch, because it's kind of a cross breed, and I'm not sure if this equation is valid for boat towing,launching and recovery on sand beaches either. I'm setting a low budget for it because I prolly won't use that much. Occasionally I'll be towing a 4-5 ton boat on sandy beaches. I've previously launched and recovered with my 80 and it sometimes just barley manages. So it might be used in such applications. I'm thinking of buying a new Warn vr8000, new smittybilt waterproof 12000, and any model used Warn 10000 and up then resell what doesn't fit my need. I've also located an oem Aisin 8000 lbs winc. Which would work best? Should I only consider waterproof winches, or should I be considering any other winch. All suggestions welcomed, Thanks.

Last edited:
Are you located in Libya? Will you use the winch often? Warn is great, the VR series might not be what you want as it is entry level. 10k will serve you fine. :cheers:

I'm currently located in Libya, but I can export from the US and Australia. I won't be using it that often I think. But if things settle down I'd be pulling a 4-5 ton boat this spring. I've seen cars get stuck on the beach and when the waves start pounding them, without a winch they all had to resort to a wheel loader to get them out, and that's after being drenched in salt water...ouch. So defiantly worth the insurance. So I'll be looking for 10k as a minimum.:)

Waterproof?

Ok so I pulled the trigger on a viper 12000 with 100 5/16 synthetic amsteel blue rope. It was for $370 shipped so I think it as an ok deal. Considering the rope alone sells for about $200, it's like I got the winch for $170. After purchasing, I read the 5/16 were considered too weak for a 12000lb winch, so I contacted Motoalliance and they said if it hasn't been shipped I would just need to pay $20 extra for the 3/8 amsteel blue, which I think is pretty good. I hope it hasn't been shipped out yet. Viper has some great reviews in the Atv forums but haven't heard that much about them in the 4x4 forums. Knowing who I am I'm probably going to sell the winch, keep the rope and put it on a warn, unless convinced otherwise. But I don't think I'll go less than a 12000lb winch from my reads.

Last edited:
Upgraded to 3/8 rope. For a 12000lb winch should I upgrade to
7/16" rope
Snatch block ????lbs
If the m12000 (endurance) drum didn't hold up to a synthetic rope in an article, where does that leave the rest of the 12000 pounders?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom