My wife drove all the way to work with the CDL engaged...... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have only had our used Land Cruiser 5 days. My wife has been using it to go to work and back and this morning once she got to work she sends me a text with a photo saying that certain dash lights were on as she was driving to work. I asked her to send me a photo of the lights. As I got the photo to my utter shock, it was the Center diff lock that was engaged. She said she had noticed it since backing it out of the driveway which leads me to believe she accidently push it.

After banning her from further use of the Land Cruiser, I head to her work to pick up and take to our local Toyota dealer to assess any damage that may have been done. She said she didn't feel it drive any differently, but this woman is oblivious to reality. It's all city driving with multiple left and right turns to head to her job.

After getting it checked by the Toyota dealer they said the only thing they found an issue with was the front and rear differential fluid which they said looked "a little smokey". They changed the fluid and they said the cv axles were good.

The crazy thing is we had a 4th gen 4Runner with a similar 4 wheel drive system. She accidentally hit the CDL on that vehicle and damaged the cv axles enough to replace them. You'd think she learned her lesson after that ordeal.

Sounds like she's banned you. Don't get too bent out of shape, it happens. I haven't heard of a 100 being damaged from one drive with the CDL engaged.

Yeah you're right. I guess I was just disappointed that we've only had it for less than a week and I was worried about the damage that could have been done. Tell you what, these things are way better built than 4Runners.

That switch should be recessed.

And expect a banning from the wild thing. She has all the leverage... to hell with the CDL.

Happy wife... happy life. I'd be buying some flowers, make a little dinner, bottle of wine... and get her a set of keys :)

Why almost all of my vehicles are manuals and the wife can't drive one. Although she did 3k in damage to the Audi on our honeymoon because she wanted to turn the AC on.

I did that the first day I had mine. Bumped the switch with my knee when backing out of the garage. Was wondering why the tires were making a grinding sound on the concrete with the steering cranked.

Figured it out by the end of the driveway.

However, most women don't know what a parking brake is or how to turn it off. Her::"Honey, the back brakes are making a grinding sound and I smell smoke." Me: "So, you kept driving to your Mother's house before you called me?!"

Possible it can kill you until you die from it

This happened to me a couple months ago as well. No ill after effects from a 2-3 mi drive by the wife home from daycare.

Now if she put it in low and engaged the dif locker I'd question her but the hundy is built solid enough to handle a little trip in true 4wd. Poop happens

Happy wife... happy life. I'd be buying some flowers, make a little dinner, bottle of wine... and get her a set of keys :)
I would definitely agree with those thoughts.

:princess: and I spent time playing with both the CDL button and transfer case lever when I first bought my LX. We used the gravel irrigation ditch road on our property for training both of us. Though normally, :princess: prefers her Dodge Cummins over the LX unless the roads are intolerably crappy.

:princess:'s dowry included a Mauser 98K and a Browning A5.

I tend to watch my butt...I've seen what she can do with both. :eek:

Steve

We have only had our used Land Cruiser 5 days. My wife has been using it to go to work and back and this morning once she got to work she sends me a text with a photo saying that certain dash lights were on as she was driving to work. I asked her to send me a photo of the lights. As I got the photo to my utter shock, it was the Center diff lock that was engaged. She said she had noticed it since backing it out of the driveway which leads me to believe she accidently push it.

After banning her from further use of the Land Cruiser, I head to her work to pick up and take to our local Toyota dealer to assess any damage that may have been done. She said she didn't feel it drive any differently, but this woman is oblivious to reality. It's all city driving with multiple left and right turns to head to her job.

After getting it checked by the Toyota dealer they said the only thing they found an issue with was the front and rear differential fluid which they said looked "a little smokey". They changed the fluid and they said the cv axles were good.

The crazy thing is we had a 4th gen 4Runner with a similar 4 wheel drive system. She accidentally hit the CDL on that vehicle and damaged the cv axles enough to replace them. You'd think she learned her lesson after that ordeal.

My wife did this the other day as well - we've had the car 3 years!
Knocked it on with her handbag - but she did notice as she backed off the drive & came & told me it was 'jumping about' when she reversed!

If the drivetrain fails because you drove it to work with the CDL engaged, we're all screwed. No worries.
I do agree with a statement above about the switch needing to be recessed. It's in a poor place, and I think the button action is poor as well; hard to tell when you've depressed the button but it hasn't yet engaged. Not enough detention in the button.

Is there a mod for the 100 like the 7pin mod for the 80 to allow full control of center diff?

I feel your pain. I just don't let my wife drive 99% of the time :). Instead of yelling in the future, just show her the repair bill and ask her what you guys are going to cut back on to compensate for that un essay expense? I bet she will be more attentive in the future.

Is there a mod for the 100 like the 7pin mod for the 80 to allow full control of center diff?
yes, its called the 7-pin mod!
Pin-7 mod is default behavior on year 2000+, in other words putting it into Lo range doesn't automatically lock the CDL. Very handy. Will use that tomorrow as the cruiser is pulling a float in a parade, and 1st gear low range w/o CDL ought to keep me off the brakes...

Thank you @re_guderian for setting us straight. I knew there wasn't the same mod as the 80 as there was no write up found and why I had said one 'like' it, wasn't sure if there was another way. Cool it's set up that way from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom