Anyone build BJ42 rock sliders with skid plates ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kling-on

Kool Arrow
Threads
Website
www.texas4x4.org
I was looking at it and with the fuel water trap and vacum tank there it looks like a pain in the a$$. Anyone done this and have pics. thx in advance JB

Easiest way is to shift them. Vacuum pumps can go anyhwere and there are loads of options for water traps and sedimenters to be fitted to the engine bay.

so everyone just moves em ? any pics of that ???

I've got an 83bj42, While in the smokey mountains on a trail the water separator met a rock and the rock won !
I looked into aftermarket water separators, Racor is one that has an optional heater if one wants, I went with the water separator with filter. This unit has a primer on it also ! I fabed up a bracket and mounted it under hood on the fender.
As for the vacuum reservoir I once again fabed up a stainless tube with fittings and mounted it on top of the frame under seat area.
With the water separator under hood it's the ideal location as you can see if the bowl has fluid that need be drained off - easily ! I have used it to prime the fuel pump and works great ! Next time I will go for the heater/ warmer.
Cheers

so everyone just moves em ? any pics of that ???

By the mid 80s all the Landcruisers had these items tucked up away from harm and corrosion. The delphi 696 combined filter and water trap works ok as a budget option. Glass bowl water separators in the engine bay allow for easy inspection and emptying. I never understood why Toyota put them under the floor in the older models. Glass bowl type separators have been around for centuries.

Its logical that vacuum canisters are better off close to the gadgets that need them

I've got an 83bj42, While in the smokey mountains on a trail the water separator met a rock and the rock won !
I looked into aftermarket water separators, Racor is one that has an optional heater if one wants, I went with the water separator with filter. This unit has a primer on it also ! I fabed up a bracket and mounted it under hood on the fender.
As for the vacuum reservoir I once again fabed up a stainless tube with fittings and mounted it on top of the frame under seat area.
With the water separator under hood it's the ideal location as you can see if the bowl has fluid that need be drained off - easily ! I have used it to prime the fuel pump and works great ! Next time I will go for the heater/ warmer.
Cheers

Any pics ... I thought the water separator had to be low ... How high up the fender can it go ? And the vacume tank you moved into the cabin?

So you just flipped the tank to the inside of the frame ?? I'll have to look into that

IMG_0254.JPG JB , Sorry for the misunderstanding ! I neglected to tell you that I not only fabled up a bracket but also an air reservoir out of round tube.
I'm sure you could easily get some 2'' or 3'' abs then cap the ends with appropriate fittings and it will work. A friend had a plastic air reservoir off a VW and had it under hood on his bj42.
Pic enclosed is my body mount rusted to nothing and the stainless air reservoir mounted on top of the frame. I welded in a drain valve on it and have had this unit mounted on the frame since 1996.
If you are doing any off roading where ''Rocks '' are a concern then eliminating the stock air tank and fuel filter and moving them under hood and on top of frame or other is a good idea !
I don't have a picture of the after market fuel filter nut I did bolt it under hood onto of inside drivers side fender. ( perfect location )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom