'40 3 Speed Floor Shift Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

I am getting ready to convert my 1970 3-speed column shift to a floor shift this weekend. From what I understand, it is pretty easy to get the new floor shift on. However, I was looking for a write up on it (in particular, removing the old colum shift linkage). Does anyone know of one (I searched the forum and did not find one)? If not, any advice on problem areas?

Thanks,
Stoshzack

The column shift linkage is very simple to take off once you get down there and look at it. I went from 3 on the floor back to 3 on the tree, that took a lot more guessing.

Taking the column shift lower linkage out is easy. Taking the shift shaft out of the column assembly is a bit harder which is why a lot of folks just remove the shifter arm and leave the shaft in place.

I still have the original Downey instruction sheet, it tells how to remove the old linkage, PM me.

Hi Guys - thanks for the response. I worked on the conversion today following the directions given by Jim. Thanks Jim. Got the column linkage off and put the new floor shift on. However, it did not seem to work (i.e. did not seem to go in and out of gear). Uploading some photos to ensure I have everything correct. Doesn't seem like there is a lot that can go wrong.

Thanks for any help,
Stoshzack
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Your second photo shows the slider plate that you bolted to the bottom of the aluminum housing. The slider plate is missing the piece that drops down into the gears (to shift the gears), or if the photo just makes it look that way, then perhaps you are missing some spacer tubes between the slider plate and aluminum housing that drop the slider plate down deeper into the tranny- - - I honestly can't remember???

Thanks for the feedback Jim. You can't see the tube spacers, but they are there between the two plates. Stick shift itself drops down into gears I believe.

Just wondering if it is (was) in gear while sliding the new plate on? I thought for sure that it was in neutral before I started.

I just don't have one to look at, memory bank is getting older, but I believe there was a knob/piece sticking down off the slider plate in addition to the bottom of the shift lever.

do you have a pic of the shifter stalk? the 4 speed shifter is shorter than a 3 speed but will still fit in the shift tower but would not go deep enough to engage anything.

Here is a good picture of one on ebay. There is a little tab that sticks down on the side right near where the actual shifter comes through to go between 1/R and 2/3 gears. Looks like yours has it, just hard to see. You can clearly see it on the ebay picture. You have to make sure both the shifter and that other tab get into the correct slots.

Here is link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/381035652654?lpid=82

Thanks everyone for the help! I reassembled making sure the tabs were correctly positioned and it is fine now.

Stoshzack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom