1985 HJ75 Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for that. I am trying to think through mounting locations. If I cannot find an appropriate spot under the dash, then under the DS seat (seeing as I drive of the correct side of the truck :rimshot: ) will be a second alternative.

It won't go in the glovebox (the fuse panel might) ....

With that huge bumper, just point it at a tree ;)
"Brakes by ARB" https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/99-arb-deer-75mph.651225/

upload_2014-11-20_8-24-32.png

ummm, disagree with your claim
have you ever seen where the old style factory unit sat?

poor deer
surprised that tin bumper stood up.
oh yah, it didn't
the mount allowed it to twist into the sheet metal.

ummm, disagree with your claim
have you ever seen where the old style factory unit sat?
I'm not old enough to know where the "old style" factory unit was positioned. :rimshot:
You seem to forget that I am much younger than you.

Last edited:
the original spot for the factory converter was above the glove box in a tight spot.
of course with today's tech, the new converters should be even more efficient.
you have to remember also, the glove box does not "seal" when you shut it. it has openings all around the lid.
now, if you decide to mount external, by all means.
i just find the glove box works well to keep everything tidy and out of prying eyes view.
and
in a convertible, you keep everything dry when the top is off.

WHY I HATE ELECTRICAL GREMLINS......BJ74
1) My radio would fail a few seconds after startup and would normally come back on 20-60 seconds later and work normally the rest of the day.
2) If you turned on the running lights or headlights the radio would also temporarily shut down.
3) On occasion the radio would cycle "on and off" with the turn signals.
4) The radio finally just QUIT.
It seemed logical to assume the radio had failed or the power source had failed but as they say in infocommercials ....
BUT WAIT.
5) Checked the power source ...... No issues
6) Pulled the radio and tested it ....No Issues
7) Check the wiring from the batteries through the dash ..... No Issues
THE CULPRIT ......
The previous owner had installed a trailer pigtail (with built in converter) that dropped the voltage from 24V to 12V so he could pull a trailer. The converter was dying a slow and agonizing death and finally shorted out altogether and although it was on the opposite end of the truck from the radio it was the source of all of the troubles. Once it was disconnected, the radio came alive and ALL of the symptoms went away.

Last edited:
made in Mexico
even China makes better s*** than Mexico
(Dodge, made in Mexico) enough said.

nice diagnostics old man, i be proud of you.
I wish I was that smart however all I did was hold the flashlight and the electrical tape. :)
I get confused hooking up jumper cables.

SNAKE BIT ....... :bang:
The first brake booster on my HJ75 lasted ~ 30 years, the second one ~ 4 months. Installing the 3rd one today.
Even on something as slow as a 2H powered Cruiser, brakes are necessary.
In addition to replacing the brake booster (FJ62) it has been discovered that one of the pistons (left front caliper) is stuck.
Hopefully the old truck will be roadworthy by Monday. The last few days has proven the value of a spare Land Cruiser. :)

made in Mexico
even China makes better **** than Mexico
(Dodge, made in Mexico) enough said.
You do recall the part where I said the "previous owner" installed that high-tech Mexican gizmo. I would have purchased an American converter which of course would have been assembled in China or Mexico or some other country I couldn't pronounce.

lol
not directed at you old mate, just an observation after owning a s***ty dodge truck and finding out the replacement s***ty parts came from Mexico.
Newer dodge trucks suck.
(hurts to say since i was a mopar guy till i got into Cruisers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom