5 speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished up my 650b based 5 speed conversion

5 speeds of an older 8spd xtr cassette mounted on a singlespeed 240s hub- all run via a xtr thumbie.(7spd)

Favorite aspects thus far:

-noticably stiffer and stronger rear wheel with nice wide flange diameter courtesy of SS hub
- sick chain line in each gear feels efficient
- 1 quicker gear than my 2:1 singlespeed gear which sits in the 4th gear position ( nice for road home from trail).....3 easier gears for those bearish long climbs.
- not quite as minimalist as my singlespeed but very utilitarian.
- light (this bike is down to 20.7lbs with 25.5" top tube)

Specs: Bystickel frame
ritchey carbon 27.5 fork
Lightning Carbon cranks 182.5mm
Xtr 8spd rear der - 5 Xtr ti cassette ( 5 of 8spd)
Xt 7spd thumbie
Sram x11 spd 38t chainring
Dt swiss 240s SS hub set
Dt swiss xr331 rim set 27.5- Dt swiss Aerolite bladed spokes
Formula Oro Puro disk brakes/ xtr center lock rotors
enve carbon bar and stem and seat post
King Headset
Extralite seat collar.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Neat build. Some of my SS friends go the same 5 speed route when their knees are bothering them.

I didn't know Stephen ever made 650b frames.

How random is it that two folks who own Stickels happen to be on a website about trucks........??

I mean, it's rare for two bicyclist to run into one another in my neck of the woods on Stickels, and the builder is basically in my back yard..

originally Steve built this to a 26" but it could actually fit a 27.5 wheel in the rear.....so I grabbed a fork to keep geometry in check and went from 27speeds down to 5. Feels a lot closer to my SS than a geared bike with the awesome chainline and stiffer rear wheel. I think of it as my utilitarian Singlespeed.

I got this built in Steve's earlier days pre-Greenville move and he was able to do some trick things for the frame.

I've had mine for about 5 years I guess.

He's actually still in Brevard I believe, but may be in Asheville now.

He was "trying out" a new powdercoater in those days and I had been pushing him to do it BRoWN......so I could call it a "poopStickel".......! He told me if I did that the frame cost was going to double. :)

Needless to say my next paint job will be brown and the "PoopStickel " will be born!

Neat truck.

Buddy of mine has a gold colored Stickel....... Gold Stickel.

There are some (not many) pics of mine in one of the bike threads here.

Does the 8spd Shimano screw right on to a ssfg hub? That's pretty slick if it does. Never heard of such a thing

Great job on that 55! Looks awesome, do you have a build thread?

nope SS hub just sits in the geared/ derailleur hangered frame like any other hub. 8 spd is simply limited to hit only 5 speeds.
the 8 spd cassette has 5 spds on a single carrier which fits (slides onto) the SS freehub body. most freehub bodies on SS hubs can barely fit 5 of an 8spd spacing .....or 6cogs spaced for 9 or 10spd cassettes. on my 8spd i had to mill down the body slightly to get the lockring to catch and hold it down. (about 1mm or so).

fzj55 is here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/plasma-cutter-and-some-ducktape.803810/

Last edited:
To the OP: your drivetrain would be even cleaner if you could find a DuraAce derailler. It would be much tighter; less chain slop.

i had an 8spd xtr hanging in the old parts box- so used that with the 8spd spaced cogs on the xtr8spd cassette. (plus i love that "thunk-thunk" of 8spd shifting and mud clearancing abilities of those cassettes)

im not sure the dura ace will hit the 32t big cog of that cassette. (cant recall?)

Last edited:
182.5 carbon cranks? Holy hot sauce I want some! Nice build up, bet it is s blast. My steel SS bike is a 25.5# tank, but I absolutely love it.

182.5 carbon cranks? Holy hot sauce I want some! Nice build up, bet it is s blast. My steel SS bike is a 25.5# tank, but I absolutely love it.

The Lightning cranks are made in california- i think any length up to 190mm . $700 ish retail. A bit bigger bearings than standard shimano exo outboard bearings......but we will see how long they hold up in the mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom