Need a new engine. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I need a new engine. Looks like I threw a rod thru the oil pan. Anyone in Houston Texas have a recomendation or a lead on a local 2F? My 60 is sitting at Javier's waiting a new life.

While I'm at it should I consider the 5 speed swap too? All advice welcome

I really recommend the 5 speed. Out of all the mods I'v done to my truck, the H55 was the best one. Itll transform your 60. I dont know what year yours is, but if you have any year newer than an 85, you dont need to move the cross member. If you have an 85 or older, youll need to move it forward and that costs a little more money. Just something to keep in mind.
I dont know if you plan to do this all yourself, but you can do a 5 speed swap for under 3k.

Check the classifieds and then talk with some of the guys in your local clubs to see what is available.
5spd swap is something that is great for the truck however remember that the tranny by itself will be about $2500 plus the 5th gear oiler kit and misc parts. Like KC said, it can be done for under $3k but that is if you are doing yourself, shop time will add a bit more.

I love that H55F and would recommend it. It is not cheap but since you already have the engine out now is a good time to do it as well as lutch, etc.. if those parts are aged. Money is always an issue but it sounds like you have a good opportunity to pretty much rebuild/refresh the powertrain. If you can swing it I'd not only swap the trans but go through the t-case as well. Basically lock it all down for another 10+ years or more.

See if OEM Toyota Parts has an H55F. I got my parts there and the trans was way below $2500.

Frank

what does a 3b and 5 speed transmission driveline cost out that way?
A 5 speed adds so much character, in my opinion, it's the best driving experience

My 2 cents...
Deal with the engine first. If you have any money left over after that, consider the H55F. If you have a pre-1986 cruiser there will be some drive train mods that will need to be done to fit the new tranny, otherwise it will bolt right up. A new H55F can be installed after your new/rebuilt engine is installed. It is purely a pocketbook issue, as the H55F is nicer than the 4SP.

what does a 3b and 5 speed transmission driveline cost out that way?
A 5 speed adds so much character, in my opinion, it's the best driving experience
Normally and arm/leg depending if you can find one. We never got diesels over here so we have to source them from elsewhere in the world. Then you have to deal with individual state emissions on the swap. That can be a nightmare in and of its own right.

If you're devoted to the 2F then I would make it as nice as you can make it, and hold off on the 5-speed.

If money is no object, do both :D

Then I'm gonna go this route: If you don't like the 2F it is perfect timing for a V8 swap! :)

I don't know if I've ever seen you around Houston before. Texas Land Cruiser Club - Houston would love to have you at a meeting!

check with Jason @ cruiser yard, he may have some 2F's and he had an H55 a few months back.

Thanks guys I think I found one that will work. I'm going to hold off on the 5 speed. Klinetime I was a member of TLCA-Houston back in the late 90's early 2000's with my FJ40. But two small kids make hobbies difficult these days.

Javier is the man, there were at least a dozen Landcruisers sitting on his lot. Call him Javier's Offraod on Clay Rd

Thanks guys I think I found one that will work. I'm going to hold off on the 5 speed. Klinetime I was a member of TLCA-Houston back in the late 90's early 2000's with my FJ40. But two small kids make hobbies difficult these days.

Awesome. Before my time for sure. You must know Steve then. Maybe a few others. We'd still love to have ya :)

Hope your 60 gets fixed up soon!

Does Javier do transmission work?

He rebuilt my transfer case, but for my auto rebuild he referred me to wholesale transmissions on hwy 6. He might take on a manual tranny rebuild himself though.

He rebuilt my transfer case, but for my auto rebuild he referred me to wholesale transmissions on hwy 6. He might take on a manual tranny rebuild himself though.
Thanks! His son welded a roll cage into a scout for me a couple of years ago, did a nice job. New-ish ride is a 62, need to get the tranny looked at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom