Resonance in the steering wheel of my new 2014 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OP please have dealer diagnose the issue and report back the resolution to help others here. New vehicle off the lot should not resonate. Even a 15k dollar new vehicle.

Will do if the problem is still persistent when I get my first oil change.

Will do if the problem is still persistent when I get my first oil change.
That may be a while ... 10k mile changes on these things .... ;)

I prop my left elbow on the top of the door when driving. My 200 has harsh plastic there whereas my 100 was plush.

During a 700 mile drive this past Tuesday, my elbow became so uncomfortable that I stopped by a UPS shipping store and purchased some bubble wrap and packaging tape. 10 minutes later I had the bubble wrap secured to the top portion of the door. And seeing as how both the bubble wrap and packaging tape are clear in color, my modification (improvement) is not noticeable to the casual observer.

I did a 700 mile trip towing my 80 and it was very comfortable. Weird.

I guess I'll take the heat but I don't think it's a character or awd drive thing. I've owned a LX 470 and v8 4Runner both awd and were smooth. If the Lexus guys are saying they don't have it and only Toyota I think something is going on. It is minor and I have got used to it for the most part but every time I drive up the mountains it's pretty consistent the whole drive. I feel it could be the front axle and isn't turning smooth? Or something in the general area causing it. Problem is I don't want the Toyota dealer pulling everything apart and I don't think the tech wants to either!

My LX has the resonance in the accelerator pedal going uphill - and it happens on curves and straight inclines - so not limited to LCs.

That may be a while ... 10k mile changes on these things .... ;)

I will take it in at 5000 miles to take advantage of the 2 year/24,000 mile Toyota Care free oil changes. Should take me about 8 weeks to hit that number.

It is rather a long shot, but I would run a tank of premium or non-ethanol fuel and see if the behavior changes. If I could feel it myself I might think this is a dumb idea but the inclines make me wonder about pre-detonation if the ECU is dialing in timing advance at that point.

I only run Shell VPower with I believe is ethanol-free - I don't think it's pre-detonation - I think it's something in the driveline.

I will take it in at 5000 miles to take advantage of the 2 year/24,000 mile Toyota Care free oil changes. Should take me about 8 weeks to hit that number.
Won't take me too long for the 5k service .... Tire rotation and a quick look over. They won't touch the oil since it is synthetic from the factory. BTDT.

On topic: I have not noticed a resonance that others are noticing In their rigs. Currently at 31k miles. My BJ73 is a different story however. ;)

EDIT: Darned iPad auto correct ....

Last edited:
It is rather a long shot, but I would run a tank of premium or non-ethanol fuel and see if the behavior changes. If I could feel it myself I might think this is a dumb idea but the inclines make me wonder about pre-detonation if the ECU is dialing in timing advance at that point.

I actually tried this on my first fill up. I figured the dealer might have used crap gas so I went to Shell and got 93 octane. i intend to do the same at my next fill up and then switch to 87.

I definitely feel the resonance in the pedal as well as the steering wheel. Also, there is a pulsing effect I can feel if I keep the revs right around 2000 rpm for an extended amount of time. I need to see if the effect is worse going up hill like some others have mentioned.

Based on the pulsing feel and the fact that I notice the engine note change around the same RPM I'm starting to think my issue is exhaust resonance vs something in the drive train. The exhaust note in the 2000 rpm range on my truck sounds a bit like the motor is bogging down.

Won't take me long for the 5k service .... Tire rotation and a quick look over. They won't touch the oil since it is synthetic from the factory. BTDT.

On topic: I have not noticed a resonance that others are noticing In their rigs. Currently at 31k miles. My BJ73 is a different story however. ;)

Based on what your saying in your post, you have never had your oil changed in your 31k miles of ownership because it's synthetic? Is that true?

Based on what your saying in your post, you have never had your oil changed in your 31k miles of ownership because it's synthetic? Is that true?

Nope, not what I am saying. The oil has been changed 3 times in my ownership. Once at 10K, once at 20K and once at 30K. The 5K, 15K, 25K services are merely an inspection and tire rotation.

This is per the maintenance book on my '13

My 2011 definitely has the steering wheel resonance issue, 42k miles. Subscribed and very interested to see what the consensus is.

My gut feeling is that it's exhaust related, but it has been nagging at me...

I had found those same threads during my initial research, but I appreciate the links. It seems that if this issue is common in the 5.7 then Toyota would have found a way to fix it by now.

Is anyone here with an aftermarket exhaust still experiencing drone?

Unfortunately, getting some miles on the LC is not helping the issue. Today it seemed worse because the transmission seemed dead set on keeping the RPMS around 2000 while driving in town. I really hope the dealer can fix this nagging issue when I take my truck in for the 5000 mile service.

Really, besides the resonance there isn't much I don't like about the LC compared to my past vehicles. There are some small things that my last few Fords had that I miss like the exterior lights coming on with the wipers, illuminated cup holders and hard buttons for the radio presets, but overall the Land Cruiser is a big upgrade.

I have some real world feedback on this.

My wife has been away for a few weeks, so I have been driving the 200. After reading all the gas threads here lately, I changed from premium to regular fuel, and have been running the roads hard. Have run 4 tanks through it.

Guess what...steering wheel resonance was virtually eliminated. It's still there, but it's faint and not really noticeable.

To test the theory I went back with premium yesterday...and the resonance picked back up.

Nothing else has changed with the truck. Temps outside are constant. Type of driving is identical.

I can't really come up with a reason as to why this is happening, but it definitely is...

Curious in outcome.

I have some real world feedback on this.

My wife has been away for a few weeks, so I have been driving the 200. After reading all the gas threads here lately, I changed from premium to regular fuel, and have been running the roads hard. Have run 4 tanks through it.

Guess what...steering wheel resonance was virtually eliminated. It's still there, but it's faint and not really noticeable.

To test the theory I went back with premium yesterday...and the resonance picked back up.

Nothing else has changed with the truck. Temps outside are constant. Type of driving is identical.

I can't really come up with a reason as to why this is happening, but it definitely is...

I have also been paying very close attention to my buzzing issue to see if I can draw any parallels besides the RPM range that it occurs. So far I have noticed that the issue is less noticeable when the drivetrain is not fully warmed up. My commute starts with 5 miles of side street driving then 20 miles of freeway followed by another five miles of city driving. I rarely notice the issue on the first leg of my commute, but once I get off the highway it is pretty noticeable. The buzzing also feels more noticeable in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom