Free 84 xcab 4x4, Sitting Long Time, Where to begin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an '86 with auto and it does not like running the ac compressor. These little motors don't have gobs of torque like the F motors. The little vent wing windows work pretty good. Nice truck, good find.

There are a couple threads about disintegrating re-treads. You may want to review them before you make that purchase.

Here is one of them: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tire-options-retreads-treadwright.816322/

And another: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/tr...-arent-doing-much-better.808862/#post-9235456

yeah, Ih8having2Bacheapbastid, BUT you're right, I loose sleep over the thought of driving retreads. If I can help it, I will try to get a set of Cooper 31/10.50s ATs and drop the new set on the fj62; use the half used tires on the yoter.

I have an '86 with auto and it does not like running the ac compressor. These little motors don't have gobs of torque like the F motors. The little vent wing windows work pretty good. Nice truck, good find.

I hear that, but I drive thru Fresno, so no ac isn't going to be an option. I drove Gramps' 93 4X4 with the 22re part of the summer, and it did just fine ac blastin, getting well over 18MPG with the 8000' round trip elevation. but, NO, they don't have the grunt of the Fs- guess that's why I'm doing it tho...

I like seeing them come back from the dead. I got my 89 for free 10 years ago from my brother in law. He was going to trade it in on a new Matrix and they were only going to give him $300 for it. I talked them down 1200 on the car and he tossed me the keys. His brother gave me an old fisher plow and it's been plowing my driveway and hauling crap around my property since then. Hasn't left the yard since 06 though. It's looking pretty sad.

you know, I am die hard cruiser head, but the gas is killing me. I live 3 1/2 miles down a rugged mountain dirt road and 4X is a must. I needed something to get me to the world everyday for a little less output. we had talked about another subaru, but the road would kill it quick-like. I then set my sights on an old sammy, but the price of this rig kept me Toyota...I have been slowly researching and plotting my course. and waiting for my next profit sharing check to get a battery and some tires. It is going to take about a grand I think, and that isn't going to smooth out all the creases in it, but it should get it registered and running. I don't think I will try to restore it, but I will fix it up a bit- new/used fenders and hood and the odd trim piece

my Dad had an 84 but efi he put 350k on it and wishes he rebuilt it instead of selling it, loved the extra cab with the good wheelbase and straight axle. a bit beat but good meat and potatoes ya got there!!

getting the battery and some small stuff this w/e. going to get her running by sunday.

How's this going lamb? I got a similar situation, that I'm leaning towards resto on due to being a one owner, complete unmolested truck with a blown HG.
Who would you recommend sending the carb to for freshening up?

being a cruiser guy, my first guess would be Jim C or Mark A, but not sure if they do minitrucks. I think I remember Georg saying something about Marlin doing them, and he's near me, so I'll have to look into that. I have rebuilt a cruiser carb or two, but kinda want to let a pro do it for the pick-up. Other than look at it everyday, I haven't done anything to her. still getting ready for winter; dragging home oak with the cruiser...

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Mine has been sitting in front of the garage begging me to love her everyday, with a hoist and emgune stand within arms reach (motor needs complete overhaul)...

yeah, time would be nice...and some money to boot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom