Kiwi Bush Pig (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congratulations! Hope everybody is doing good. You're right, what more could you want.

Well progressing well, the entire front end is now pretty stripped down. Just need to pull out the steering column and I can look at removing the engine and trans.
20141007_205804.jpg

Checked the fj40 power steering box that I brought and it looks like it will bolt straight up nice. Still you never know until you actually do it! Has any one else fitted an fj40 power steering box? would like people thoughts on this one.

Another question too, I'm looking at the front suspension and see the front hangers are welded on and the back ones are riveted. Is this normal or have got different going on here? Here's a couple of pics to show what I mean.
20141007_205912.jpg
20141007_205850.jpg

Toyota would have blamed himself if such welds were factory. second picture is oem first is "custom" but solid I guess.

Those look identical to the two early frames I have...
Good or bad they have held up since 69, and one of the rigs was wheeled extensively.
Mind you I'm sure it was 70's wheeling: Loaded down with camping gear and screaming kids in the back.

Thread Hijack for sure:
Yes! Mine were all laughing until I told them not to worry we won't flip over..At that point it all changed to screams.
Apparently that thought had not occurred to them.

Those look identical to the two early frames I have...
Good or bad they have held up since 69, and one of the rigs was wheeled extensively.
Mind you I'm sure it was 70's wheeling: Loaded down with camping gear and screaming kids in the back.
Good that makes sense with this being a early cruiser. Ha maybe toyota boxed in the frame and went to fit the hangers then realised oh what about the rivets

Okay made some more progress this weekend the Frame is floating in the air by magic! as in two axle stands and a engine hoist... magic tools. Due to the low ceiling height had to get a bit creative with chassis removal, dropped off the rear wheels off and supported the axle with a trolley jack. Then just rolled the chassis out from underneath the body easy.... well it was once I released the front brake adjusters, both fronts had jammed against the drums.
Here's a few pics.

So hopefully tomorrow I will be able to wheel the whole chassis outside the garage door, lower the body down and move it to the back of the garage. By my calcs (A guess really) I should be able bring the chassis back in and pull it down to its base components. Space is starting to become a premium.

20141101_190221.jpg

20141026_141245.jpg

20141101_190540.jpg

Yeah, that is a low ceiling. Looks like you have it figured out. Have you decided on the engine, yet. Rebuild or replace?

Yeah, that is a low ceiling. Looks like you have it figured out. Have you decided on the engine, yet. Rebuild or replace?
I'm thinking replace Ron. At this point possibly go for an ls engine like what you have done, maybe a Gen 5 5.3 with 6l80e as they just starting to become available, so in a year or so could be an option.
The other option is a toyota v8 which I really like the idea of as we get the motors quite cheap imported from Japan. Problem is very little aftermarket support and I believe the dimensions are larger than an ls so concerns on fitment.
Maybe some of you guys might have some ideas on this? Would appreciate some info to assist on deciding which path.

The body and chassis are now officially separated went better than I thought! they both just fit into the garage which is awesome. Don't know about you guys but I think the rear drive shaft has a bit of run out....have to do investigation on that one.

On to the next job, strip the chassis.

20141102_132302.jpg

I would like to say "it's was the raw power of small block chev" but it has two perpendicular creases bent into it. Think from vehicle dropping down onto something or jack used on the drive shaft?

I like the propane tanks, in back. Are you going to keep running on propane?
I'm thinking not, LPG was all the rage in the 80's but fallen away now so filling stations are getting few and far between. Include the yearly certification costs think will just go for a modern injected V8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom