Builds So now I have a BJ74... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cold idle is right at the middle tick mark and hot is just off the bottom now. Cold used to be half way between the bottom and middle tick and hot was bottomed out. The gauge also response to the RPMs much better now. Its just about a working gauge now.;)

Thanks....
I run just shy of the half tick when cold but it drops to less than 1/4 when hot. (Idle)
After owning a 2L-TE for a while, I swore I would never drive down the road fixated on engine gauges again. :)

Cold idle is right at the middle tick mark and hot is just off the bottom now. Cold used to be half way between the bottom and middle tick and hot was bottomed out. The gauge also response to the RPMs much better now. Its just about a working gauge now.;)

That is exacly what I experienced.

Your crow foot beats the hell out of my cut-off wrench however.....

My 2H, which I assume is the same gauge and sending unit as my 13B-T, has much higher readings. It is always above the half tick even at hot idle. Go figure......

It is also a fresh motor. That has to factor in.

It is also a fresh motor. That has to factor in.
At only 60,000 miles I would expect the 13B-T to do better but those readings may just be par for the course.

Started a little project this evening...
photo%2B%288%29.JPG

Sick…but you should have taken the 74 ;)

MAJOR UPDATE!

I finally got my badly needed Old Man Emu 2.5" springs with greasable shackles and NitroCharger Sport shocks delivered and installed! It is a pretty straight forward install, it only took 10 basic steps:
1. Soak all nuts and bolts in PB Blaster the night before.
2. Support truck on stands and remove wheels.
3. Take off all old warn suspension parts, through in dumpster.
4. Install new heavy springs and shackles.
5. Wrestle axle in place and bolt to new springs.
6. Torque to spec.
7. Add yellow shocks, and steering stabilizer.
8. Do it all over again for the rear.
9. This time fight the shackles between the fuel tank and tail pipe.
10. Put on wheel and go enjoy the much improved ride.
See easy.:cool:

IMG_6508.JPG

Front end all finished. (As many will note I have not gotten to the knuckle rebuild yet.)

IMG_6509.JPG

Side view

IMG_6514.JPG

Rear

IMG_6522.JPG

Showing off the new stance.

IMG_6538.JPG

Sweet!

We gotta meet in the middle someplace and wheel......:grinpimp:

Ok, its been a couple of weeks since I got the new suspension on the 74 and man what a difference it has made, much more friendly to drive both on and off the road. Got a chance to do some actual wheeling with it this weekend, first impression: This ain't no 80! Defiantly a change going from coils and a 113ish wheelbase to leafs and a 100ish wheelbase. I felt that I needed the rear locker more in the 74 then I would have if I had the 80, the 74 doesn't quite roll over the bumps like the 80 on 285s dose, but the auto and the diesel were a pleasure to drive.

One thing I am going to address is the bit of stinkbug I have going on right now.
IMG_7062.JPG

I was hoping it would settle out after some driving around but seems to be settled like it is. Think the best remedy is going to remove a leaf from the rear leaf packs. As to witch one, I'm not sure yet still got some research to do. Open to any other suggestions.

Also got ride of the "wings" on the front bumper(porch) also known as headlight guards. The headlights would reflect off them and were driving me nuts after a bit of night driving now. Not sure on how I feel on the looks of it yet, but functionally it is much better!
IMG_7064.JPG

Overall still loving the truck, its been fun getting to know the ins and out of the diesel (I'm not even close) and I still get a kick driving on the "wrong" side. Still need to get to the knuckles and get a better storage system for the cargo area, wire the fridge, and a bunch of small stuff before I hit the road with it, but its getting closer every weekend.:cool:

IMG_7066.JPG

You can remove the second leaf from the rear spring packs. That will drop it a bit and take some of the edge off. Mine was that way when I bought it. The previous owner was kind enough to hand them off to me along with the truck. I put the them back in after I added the Kamar and all the tools/parts I carry.

The one right below the main leaf. The PO took it out, I put it back. If you do it do hang on to them in case you add more weight like I did (including the driver..:lol: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom