'75 FJ40 - introduction (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been trolling for a few months and decided to join. I have searched this site many a night with great results... so thanks to all!!!!
I bought a 1975 40 in July of this year, which had been semi converted to a crawler. This is my first attempt at a restore (more like - improve). My goal is to cruise around with the wife and kids, take hunting and fishing.
There were initially a lot of issues:
Marine tank for gas tank (seen in photos), custom roll cage which is too wide (stock doors won't fit), no rear seats (2 young 'uns), no seat belts (just harness for driver), nice 3' square hole cut into the top, oh... and stalling out at 40 mph).
The good - 95% rust free, new tub, lots of original parts and most of them working.
I have since removed the bedliner from the tub which was peeling and applied POR 15, con fer style tank underneath, besttop bench in rear (and yes, the wide one fits like a glove - thanks mud members), shoulder seat belts for all 4, tailgate, bikini top, 1/2 doors, new fuel filters, new shoes and now driving until too cold.
IMG_4833.JPG
IMG_4831.JPG
IMG_4843.JPG
IMG_5083.JPG
IMG_5087.JPG

IMG_4833.JPG
IMG_4831.JPG
IMG_4843.JPG
IMG_5083.JPG
IMG_5087.JPG

How the hell did those taggers get at the inside of your amby doors? And let me be the first to inform you your bezel is, ahem, upside down. Well, someone was gonna be first!:slap:

I cant believe it took that long for someone to mention the bezel:)

Started working on doors a couple weeks ago. Latches were "sticky" and not working, windows would only roll halfway up or down. Thanks to MUD, I was able to break down an put back together - the clip on the door lock was the toughest and reassembly order of the door latch and handle proved to be important!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420077992.851530.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420078045.120268.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420078064.599320.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1420078109.431866.jpg

Happy New Year!

I just took my doors apart too, prepping for reinstalling the hardtop. They're easy to adjust! I was ver-r-ry surprised at how the plastic seal black bead retained its gooiness after all these decades - I reused it with the original plastic.:D

Top is off mine now too and way too cold-nice rig, I like Red too!

How important is the plastic under the door panels?
Seems to be dual purpose: help keep road dust from gunking up the lubrication on moving parts, and keep moisture that runs down the window from warping the door panel pressboard. I was going to use some regular clear plastic paint sheeting, but the original was in such good condition I didn't think it necessary.

Stock pre 75 doors are thinner than 75+ doors and they may fit with your cage.

looking good ... nice job with the refurb of the door innards ... my window mechanisms are a little sticky too, and the felts etc need replaced ... between your thread and LostMarbles thread its a job I've moved up in the pecking order ...

Over the past few weeks I have been steadily but slowly working toward narrowing my roll cage so the stock doors would fit. As most things do - it took a bit longer than expected.
Used a *eep flip seat riser for the PS seat and fabbed one for the DS. Just I time for warmer weather!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427940211.577500.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427940233.271114.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427940272.057228.jpg

New dash from fj40dash.com
.... Lots and lots of bolts -
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427940311.277649.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1427940404.688574.jpg

Next is painting tire carrier and finishing doors....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom