The Ultimate BBQ Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks good, I'm going to have to lookup the Barbacoa paste. I'm still experimenting with slow cooking meats. While I like typical BBQ, I think I'm more interested in slow cooking different meats and going for a wide range of tastes... Maybe that's still BBQ, I don't know.

Pork was a big hit last week, I've got a few bundles in the freezer. Sister likes brisket, so thinking about getting a prime packer and doing something a little different for injection or rub for thanksgiving if anyone has a good idea (I can cook salt&pepper briskets the rest of the year).

Pibil is another I want to try...Barbacoa won out because it has fewer ingredients...and I had them on hand.

Sorry I can't find it now but I read about a guy that did a low and slow with chuck (brisket would be great too) after he marinated in pineapple juice; he said he was going for Asian flavor. He said it turned out fantastic...most, including me, would be concerned with the funky texture impart pineapple can cause if left in contact with the meat too long...but he said "no". YMMV.

And low and slow is BBQ!

Last edited:
I'll probably skip on the pineapple for a prime brisket.... Might be worth a try on some pork though.

I'm thinking about injecting and going heavy with pepper for the rub and then some sort of gravy to go with slices. I know BBQ purists will roll their eyes, but I eat typical brisket year round.

I have about 60 pounds of bone in pork butts going on the smoker at about 2200 this evening for a party. Should come off about 1200 tomorrow. Got my sauce and rub made last night. Going to get everything ready after work today. I will post some pictures of before, during, and after:grinpimp:. Not sure how I just found this thread.

^Pork comes out so well cooked slow and it's pretty mindless if you can just manage your smoker temp.

Let us know about your sauce and rub. After some experimenting, I'm about to just buy a load of Oakridge rubs. I do like simple salt, pepper, garlic powder on brisket though.

60 lbs of butt? Whoa daddy! Baby got butts. That must be a big ass smoker you got.:moon:

I love butts! My sauce is pretty simple, 1 gallon apple cider vinegar, 1 cup sugar, 1\2 cup black pepper, 1\2 cup red pepper flake. Bring vinegar to a boil, add spices, simmer for about 30 minutes, let rest overnight (or however long you want), don't refrigerate. Rub is equal parts salt, black pepper, granulated onion, garlic, paprika, smoked jalapeño. Top the BBQ with my home made pickled peppers.

Forgot to add, I rub them down with yellow mustard before my spice rub...pics to come.

Rubbed down.
IMG_20141031_185009732.jpg

On the smoker
IMG_20141031_211623584.jpg

@JohnVee , maybe twice. I had to park there to block the wind. BTW, your wife was awesome at Black Balsam. Never seen anyone sleep in until 1000 camping!

Rolling good all night. Having a little trouble holding temps. Been snowing and windy all night.
IMG_20141101_240046902.jpg
IMG_20141101_060643266.jpg

It's good.
IMG_20141101_152210497_HDR.jpg

Nice job. I'm pretty impressed you can get your smoker to run so long, esp with it cold outside.

^ Nice

It's been a while since I fired up the UDS smoker. I added some bigger intakes, picked up some Royal Oak lump from Walmart, and a new Maverick 733 that was gifted to me. Wanted to try it all out before thanksgiving.

Picked up some 1lb jimmy dean ground sausage and smoked it to 170° with royal oak lump and hickory chucks. Everything worked good!

image.jpg
image.jpg

most, including me, would be concerned with the funky texture impart pineapple can cause if left in contact with the meat too long...but he said "no".

Interesting. Also would have sworn that the proteolitic enzymes in the pineapple juice would turn the meat to mush if left for any length of time. If you try it be sure to let us know how it turns out.

^ Nice

It's been a while since I fired up the UDS smoker. I added some bigger intakes, picked up some Royal Oak lump from Walmart, and a new Maverick 733 that was gifted to me. Wanted to try it all out before thanksgiving.

Picked up some 1lb jimmy dean ground sausage and smoked it to 170° with royal oak lump and hickory chucks. Everything worked good!

View attachment 963219View attachment 963220

Did you do anything to the meat, or just make a log and smoke it? If so, I've never done that, but it's a great idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom