Axial Wraith FJ Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thread resurrection! Pulled the Wraith out of the attic last night and took stock.

Needs:
Radio and receiver
Motor
Battery
Paint

Gonna pick up a micro servo for the 2 speed so I can get the interior in. Also gonna do a battery up front and hinged hood too.

Did do some work to mount the 40 grill. Have do some mods to get the little lights where they will line up with the bezel openings.

20140908_194424.jpg

Back in the saddle. Stay tuned. :smokin:

Picked up "Da Trio" from one of the vendors on rccrawler earlier this week and they came today.

20140925_212801.jpg

Da box, da tray and da cover. Da box goes up front and will likely house my battery, receiver, BEC and light controller. Da tray will go out back and house my ESC, covered by da cover of course. Using these should help protect everything from dust and an occasional splash or spatter of mud.

Yeah, that one you bought and posted kinda was the catalyst that brought mine out of storage. What are the specs on yours? Mine is assembled mostly with no electrics installed. I have a Castle MMP and Savöx servos but that's it right now. I picked up some paint for the body and need to get my motor and radio/receiver ordered. I was thinking a Tekin Pro4, but think I'm gonna go with a redline 13.5T for now and a spektrum 4 channel radio/receiver. Need the extra channels to power my RC4WD 2spd and a possible future winch.

I been looking into battery forward mods trying to decide the best route to go. Thinking of ordering a CKRC battery plate. I know you've probably fooled with yours a little by now and I'm curious what your thoughts are.

I'm glad I could spark your Wraith interest again. Mine is an RTR Poison Spyder. I bought it slightly used from a guy in Florida. I don't think he'd ever put it in the rocks, because there were no scratches on the underside. Electronics were all stock. I ended up frying my ESC (stupid mistake) and bought a Tekin RX8 Gen2 for it. For now I'll just use the stock brushed motor, but I plan to get a Tekin Pro4 or Roc412 in the future. I'm still working on getting it back together. I'm wanting to pick up a clear body set so that I can do my own paint job. Obviously I'm not a fan of the Jeep Poison Spyder body.

As far as the battery forward mod... I used the stock battery tray. I cut it up and screwed it in up front to create a secure base. Here's a couple of pictures. I found some 1/4" P-style cable mounts at Home Depot to use for hood hinges. They were plastic and may not be very durable. I'll try to find metal ones later.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build come together.

BTW... We need to get out on the real trails sometime with Jason and some other guys. I'm itching to go soon.

@ugamurph what shocks and towers are you running? I have been looking at different ones and thought I wanted to go with some shorter ones, but after moving the locations around I have gotten a decent stance, so I am not thinking about going with a stock length aluminum body shock, or maybe just pick up some aluminum bodies for the stock shocks. Thoughts.

And yes sir we do need to get together. I am not sure about @jason in tn but I know ACC is having their annual fall ride at GMP the second weekend in October and STLCA annual will be at AOP the following weekend. I plan to attend both in some capacity, maybe I will see you there.

The previous owner put the Gearhead Droop kit and some 130mm aluminum shocks on it. I'm not sure what brand the shocks are (maybe integy), but I do think they are too long. For now I'm going to run them or possibly even put the stock shocks on it. When ever I get it back running I'll be able to tell a little better what kind of changes I need to make. I really haven't done enough research on the shocks, but I have noticed that there are a ton of options. Some use Slash rear shocks, some Gmade. The most popular lengths seem to be 90mm to 110mm. One change I did make was flipping the shock mounts on the axles.

Got Da Trio trimmed and installed tonight when I got home.

Trimming on the tray didn't go as cleanly as I wanted, but it will do the job. It will house my MMP ESC.
20141004_201814.jpg

Looking at it, the cover should clear nicely.

20141004_200824.jpg

Probably gonna put some kind of stripping around the edges to help seal it when all buttoned up. Also thinking of putting an aluminum or plastic spar in between the shock mounts to help stiffen those mounts and the chassis across that rear. Also going to have to figure a clever way to disguise some venting for the ESC in the cover.

Da Box is gonna need some trimming to fit the cross brace back in.

20141004_203733.jpg

This will house my receiver, battery and lighting controller. Gonna put some pins for the hood mounts and add a little seal there too.

Gonna work on the interior and body panels tomorrow if all goes well.

Need to get a micro servo on the trans and get a motor and receiver. There's alot of wiring to stash in not alot of space on these things. Gonna need another bag of those little black zip-ties. :)

How wide is the inside of the tray between the shock mounts at it's narrowest point? I'm trying to see if my ESC would fit up there if I buy one.

How wide is the inside of the tray between the shock mounts at it's narrowest point? I'm trying to see if my ESC would fit up there if I buy one.

Hey bud still gotta get a tape measure but here is my MMP sitting between the narrow section of the tray.

20141031_200427-1.jpg

I also stopped by my LHS and picked up some radio gear and a micro servo for the trans. Gonna have to do a little mod work on the trans mount to get th e micro to mount correctly.

20141031_202208.jpg

I'll just get the dimensions of the MMP and compare them to my RX8 to make sure it'll work for me.

Good seeing you today. I'm glad you put 2 and 2 together.

I'll just get the dimensions of the MMP and compare them to my RX8 to make sure it'll work for me.

Good seeing you today. I'm glad you put 2 and 2 together.

Me too. We do need to get together sometime soon. Even if just to grab a bite.

Also, if you pull the dimensions, that is the narrow way. It is a few mm bigger in the long dimension and won't sit down into the tray. It will sit at the rear any direction you want it to as there is a lot more room back there.

Well I got the micro-servo mounted on the 2spd bracket. I need to get the interior painted and put together to see if it will clear on top without any trimming.

20141102_172805.jpg

I am trying to get all this wiring sorted out. I am going to have to get a handful of extensions to get everything where I want it. Gonna try and get a motor ordered this week, that will be the last major component that I need, then hopefully I can finally get this rig rolling.

I've started getting my Wraith back together over the last few weeks. Where are you on your's? Lost in the barn?

I've started getting my Wraith back together over the last few weeks. Where are you on your's? Lost in the barn?

On the nail! It is in a plastic tote in the barn somewhere behind a menagerie of boxes and car parts. It, along with no less than a dozen other projects, needs to be dug out and have some attention paid to it. It'd be awesome to bring to GSMTR, but most likely won't happen, but my yeti XL may make an appearance along with the drone...

What 40 hood or body did you chop? I just picked up a Poison Spyder RTR and the jeep body must go ASAP. Was thinking I'd cut up a Tamiua body and graft it on much like you did.

It was a Proline Bushwhacker. Very similar to the Tamiya. I had to narrow the Wraith chassis at the dash bars to make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom