The Longest Soft-Top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day folks,

Matt and Jen here from the east coast of Australia. Just wanted to post some pics and info on our rig. She's a 1977 FJ45 RKJQ factory LWB soft-top. Now has a period custom fibreglass canopy that looks like it's been on for years.

We've been steadily doing her up for a year and a half including: full engine rebuild, new carby, electronic dizzy, Carroll's springs and EFS suspension, and lot of other small stuff.

During this time she's been our daily drive and we've done over a dozen camping trips to the nearby mountains. Never lets us down! We're about a month away from heading off travelling for the next few years.

This model and info on it seems scarce. We did find an original 1977 article in Overlander magazine. Thanks all for looking, love the site!

As we found her

i170969077007.jpg

Pretty much as she is now

IMG_0068.JPG

First page of Overlander article

overlander p.42sml.jpg

G'day folks,

Matt and Jen here from the east coast of Australia. Just wanted to post some pics and info on our rig. She's a 1977 FJ45 RKJQ factory LWB soft-top. Now has a period custom fibreglass canopy that looks like it's been on for years.

We've been steadily doing her up for a year and a half including: full engine rebuild, new carby, electronic dizzy, Carroll's springs and EFS suspension, and lot of other small stuff.

During this time she's been our daily drive and we've done over a dozen camping trips to the nearby mountains. Never lets us down! We're about a month away from heading off travelling for the next few years.

This model and info on it seems scarce. We did find an original 1977 article in Overlander magazine. Thanks all for looking, love the site!

As we found her

View attachment 934627

Pretty much as she is now

View attachment 934628

First page of Overlander article

View attachment 934629

Side view

IMG_0285.JPG

Enjoying the good life! (and shows drop down tailgate)

IMG_0217.JPG

We're aware of the HJ47's that Norforce used in the early eighties but haven't seen many of these petrol ones about. Was painted drab olive green when we got her. PO reckons it may have been used by Australian police or military. If anyone has any info on this model in Australia it would be great to hear from you. Cheers.

Sweet article and vehicle. I think my soft top had that same fiberglass top on it at one time.

Dan

Matt,

Nice troopy and a rare one for sure! I have the same overlander magazine! You own the first factory soft top troopy!! I bought a 77 fst troopy from oz a couple of years ago and shipped the bows and top to california! The first year was only available with a softtop, and later years were mostly hardtops so a 77 is super rare! Here is a pic of my fj 45 with an original 77 canvas softtop and bows! Amazingly the top is still intact, although worn and torn! Cheers mate and welcome to mud!

image.jpg

Side view

View attachment 934656

Enjoying the good life! (and shows drop down tailgate)

View attachment 934658

We're aware of the HJ47's that Norforce used in the early eighties but haven't seen many of these petrol ones about. Was painted drab olive green when we got her. PO reckons it may have been used by Australian police or military. If anyone has any info on this model in Australia it would be great to hear from you. Cheers.

Rest of Overlander article

overlander p.43sml.jpg

overlander p.44sml.jpg

overlander p.45sml.jpg

overlander p.46sml.jpg

That's cool. Tell you what, you tested my faith in my Cruiser knowledge there for a sec, I didn't know Troopies were even built before 1980. Good on you for saving it.

Whitey, how can you tell it's the very first FST Troopy?

And what does RKJQ mean?

Whitey, nice save on the soft top mate and sweet ute! Hey Cult, thanks man. As far as I know the RKJQ just designates the body type, eg extra LWB, soft-top, no rear seats and drop down tailgate. We'll post some more pics of engine and interior soon. Cheers all

Well guess what I ran into this morning Matt and/or Jen? Yep, another 1977 factory FST FJ45 troopy. Originally beige [464?] but now OD green. Very little rust, almost none in fact. It's at bloke I know's house in Brisbane.

IMG_8728.jpg

IMG_8729.jpg

IMG_8730.jpg

Yep looks like the same heritage. Any info on its history? Starting on the road tomorrow, so may not be able to respond for a while. Thanks heaps for the info!

No info that I know of. Happy driving!

Nice troopy Matt and Jen. Thanks for the article.

Before i had the FST LHD FJ45 1981 it was used as an ammunition carrier for the mining industry. Also it was used for transport of chemicals etc.

The PO also had a FJ45 pick up, but always gave privilege to use the Troopy often for work because it could handle more weight easily.

Attached photo ; Troopy at work.

Troopy distroying chemicals  .jpg

Under a picture when I got it before the restoration that started two years ago and still hasn't finished.

1981 SFT FJ45 Troopy.jpg

Recently I acquired another FST LHD FJ45 1980 in very nice original condition. I hope that my FJ40 madness now finally stops there :eek:

Pictures of that truck will follow soon

:cheers:

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input and responses. Been on the road for a month now and are having a great time. Troop is performing admirably both fully loaded and when empty. Might have to track down another aftermarket carby as current one has developed a crack in the cast iron base. Also when I pinched it up with a nut the bakerlite spacer cracked. It's not sucking air at the moment but it will eventually fail - probably when we're halfway up a mountain in low second, miles from anywhere lol.

BTW does anyone know if I can use the original cast iron base? There doesn't seem to be any wear in it.

geoffnlp don't remember what the muddies were, we took them off for a more original look, plus they were noisy and fuel economy was lousy. Ended up going 16" Dunlops on Sunraysia rims 'cause they were cheap. Even though they've never let us down will go something a bit more aggressive in future, probably BF Goodrich Mudterrain.

Thanks for the info and sweet pics FJ4043.

Cheers, will add some more pics.

Out bush

7. Troopy.JPG

Cracked after market carby with original bakerlite spacer now also fractured

IMG_2949.JPG

Reconditioned 2F

IMG_2951.JPG

Tub, half loaded

IMG_2958.JPG

Also have a sealed, deep cycle battery in the back in a battery box with a Redarc isolator under the hood and jumpstart option wired to a button in the dash. In camp we just operate off 12 volt, which meets all our power requirements, especially when coupled with a 12 volt universal battery charger.

nice truck mat and jen would be just the ticket for a summer camping trip
had this stored in the back of a shed, it has since found a perch on another factory soft top
fj45frame1.jpg

fj45frame2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom