3b won't turn over (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's the problem.. Wayne you got right. #3 cylinder is the problem.

IMG_1906.JPG

IMG_1907.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_1910.JPG

Last edited:
More pics The bushings appear to have moved over each other.

IMG_1911.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

Last edited:
Have a look at crankshaft. There are some fine lines. What do you think?

IMG_1916.JPG

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG

There's not much sign of burning/excess heat that I can see and if just that one big end bearing is responsible for your engine seizure you may be very lucky with that crank journal remaining within spec and being able to be simply polished up.

But a lot depends on the history of this engine.

Has it had any recent work that could be connected with the failure of this particular bearing?

If it hasn't and it's a high mileage engine then I reckon a full strip down and measuring/overhaul would still be the best route.

:beer:

Ouch..that bearing is farked alright. Take the crank to a reputable crankshaft grinder to get it looked at.

There's not much sign of burning/excess heat that I can see and if just that one big end bearing is responsible for your engine seizure you may be very lucky with that crank journal remaining within spec and being able to be simply polished up.

But a lot depends on the history of this engine.

Has it had any recent work that could be connected with the failure of this particular bearing?

If it hasn't and it's a high mileage engine then I reckon a full strip down and measuring/overhaul would still be the best route.

:beer:

It has about 370,000 km on it. It has never been rebuilt.

It has about 370,000 km on it. It has never been rebuilt.

In that case, if it was me, I'd go for a full strip-down inspection/measurement and rebuild Mike.

370k, give it a full rebuild, if you just fix the crank, the rings will let go next or the precups, the list goes on. There one thing I hate the most is having to pulling a engine back out after just putting it in, its is one of the most dis-hearting things.

It nearly brought me to tears when I mated the 5 speed to the 12HT only to find I forgot the clutch fork, treat it as a winter project.

I will take a closer look at the pics on the main comp later
I will be in TO the 11th to 13th if you want me to take a look in person
Sad news but not the end of the world
Thanks for posting up

If this is for the BJ42 it might be worth buying a tested engine.http://www.gscruiserparts.com/Parts_Vehicles.php

If my engine died in my Bj60 I would probably rebuild it totally with a nickel head etc.

So did you confirm anything? Just a thought the engine is disengaged from the transmission eh? Clutch is working? You can push the truck back and forth? Try putting the t-case in neutral?

If a safety switch failed on the clutch, if you had one, it would not turn over as the starter would not be getting power. Putting a bar on engine to see if turns over with the transmission engaged might not be able to be turn over with a parking brake set. It would appear seized.. just a thought.

If this is for the BJ42 it might be worth buying a tested engine.http://www.gscruiserparts.com/Parts_Vehicles.php

If my engine died in my Bj60 I would probably rebuild it totally with a nickel head etc.

So did you confirm anything? Just a thought the engine is disengaged from the transmission eh? Clutch is working? You can push the truck back and forth? Try putting the t-case in neutral?

If a safety switch failed on the clutch, if you had one, it would not turn over as the starter would not be getting power. Putting a bar on engine to see if turns over with the transmission engaged might not be able to be turn over with a parking brake set. It would appear seized.. just a thought.

Have a look at the pictures I posted---looks like the mtr spun a bearing on cylinder #3

sucks ass, i have the same thing, check if none of the bearing caps are warped, i had my crank reground and the conrods reground with oversize bearings only to find that the bearing cap nr 3 is warped

might be good to know and if so better to start with a different but running engine

Curious
When a bearing goes it sends particles through out the oiling system
Without doing a proper rebuild how does one make sure all the system is flushed of all contaminates doing an engine still in the truck?

Particles through the oiling system via an oil filter first. They dont filter that fine so it would cause premature wear if it went on for a long time. By the looks of the other bearings there is no serous obvious imbedding happening.

You could always flush the system with pressurized oil like marbles does when he rebuilds them. You use some kind of a contraption you made don't you? Im making one out of an old pesticide spray bottle to prime my journals before I do start up on my next engine. I'd just use synthetic oil and warm it up a lot so flows easy and adapt a fitting to the oil pressure sender to access the system. Those big bottles are cheap and can withstand a lot of pressure.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/chapin-gallon-pump-sprayer-20000-p-65.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/oilcircuitbengine-jpg.274434/
so, to be clear, you are confident that flushing the oil system using a squirt gun is adequate to clean the system of all debris. confident enough that you are recommending this procedure, to both your customers and those reading the thread, that longevity will be restored to the repaired engine?

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachments/oilcircuitbengine-jpg.274434/
so, to be clear, you are confident that flushing the oil system using a squirt gun is adequate to clean the system of all debris. confident enough that you are recommending this procedure, to both your customers and those reading the thread, that longevity will be restored to the repaired engine?

Don't think he means that it is used to clean the engine out, but rather to pre-prime the engine galleries with oil before you start it, same as you pre fill the oil filter with oil first before fitting it on a rebuilt engine.

I think you need to explain the path the metal takes Wayne to show how it goes from the bearing and gets circulated to other areas in the engine and what the other areas are in particular. You assert that the engine has metal bits strewn about. How exactly?

you have torn down 3B completely in the past, correct?
you have found debris in blocked off passages right?
how did the debris get there?
how did the debris get to the damaged bearings in the first place?
if nothing else, you have pulled a 3B oil pump apart and checked the clearances and seen where damage can occur before the filter, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom