Primer for FJ40 fiberglass top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi all,
Question: What kind of primer should I use prior to applying single stage paint on this top? I have sanded it down w/ 60grit. Also, what product should I use to seal/repair the rain gutter. Seamseal?
Thanks in advance.

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1161.JPG

3.jpg

You might ask your local boat shop. The finish was original gelcoat (google it). I'm not sure if you redid it in gelcoat if it would come out smooth or not. The gelcoat was sprayed onto the mold before the fiberglass went in.

Yea, the PO repainted. Ive got the primer figured out now. The other question is, what is this material that seals the raingutter? Its hard as a rock, and I want to repair it before I paint.

3.jpg

Where the original tops seam sealed? Seems like I remember nothing between, or on the gutter except fiberglass to metal and that is the reason everything leaked down the road. So putting a sealer on the outside may help, but only slows down the problem that's going to happen over time as the top and panels twist and turn. Haven't checked the long term usage, but I put a seam sealer in between the fiberglass and the metal drip rail and the rivets hold everything together. I have a 1978 top down stairs that I looked at today and it had the bead on something trying to keep out the water. Part is there and part is gone. Anyway just my .02 worth on something I have dealt with and was trying to come up with a better solution. Now the seam sealer I used was a roll of black stuff and was sticky one both sides, hollow in the middle, guessing it was some type of seam sealer as the guy doing my top was a body shop person.
SHane

@Captain M - what did you end up using for the primer?

Yea, the PO repainted. Ive got the primer figured out now. The other question is, what is this material that seals the raingutter? Its hard as a rock, and I want to repair it before I paint.

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom