Builds Isuzu 4BD1T Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Think "holy-crap this is steep" and then add two downshifts and a boiling radiator. For about fifteen miles.

I may be exaggerating, but I've taken sports cars over that pass that were definitely feeling the grade.

Think a pretty reasonable steep grade over there doug. It's 11percent for a short bit I think at its steepest. I'll have to check most of its 6-8 percent. Not quite what you guys have, but pretty good up here.

How do you like the new shocks?

How do you like the new shocks?
They are great, really happy with them so far. Seem to handle the 80 mass well. May need a bit more rebound damping when I get it all loaded up but have yet to see.

Think a pretty reasonable steep grade over there doug. It's 11percent for a short bit I think at its steepest. I'll have to check most of its 6-8 percent. Not quite what you guys have, but pretty good up here.

Apart from altitude, I think pulling 100km/h up that should not be unrealistic. It's only ~83kw to the ground (assuming 2.8T, 3.6m frontal area, 0.5 Cd etc).

I was pulling 80km/h up a 12% grade (entrance is 15%) with my 4BD1T at 2000rpm (78kw at the ground). Yes the tune was a bit hotter and only ~800m altitude.
He's got an auto which will hurt a little and the vehicle is probably 300kg heavier. But He's intercooled and got a better turbo.

Had my first comfortable idle on my very first engine build today:

Hopefully within a year or so i will be working on a 4BD1T for my cruiser!

Thanks for all the info and good luck!

Had my first comfortable idle on my very first engine build today:

Hopefully within a year or so i will be working on a 4BD1T for my cruiser!

Thanks for all the info and good luck!

Nice congrats! 1.6TD?

Swapped one into my brothers 75 Westy a few years ago.

Yup. Original 1.6NA (JK) block, crank, and rods. reproduction Mk2 1.9TD head (professionally built), mk3 1.9TDI exhaust manifold, K03 turbo, and air inlet. Mk2 TD airbox, Mk5 PD130 intake manifold. In a 1984 Jetta Coupe.

been working on it since february. just a few things left to do. I hope to make it legal on Monday.

That is purdy!

No turbine test this weekend my machines is Mia again. May just make a plug that adapts the two.

Yesterday I did not have any work on truck time but did sneak away from baby room prep for a few min.

I popped off the hose that goes from my PCV catch can to my inlet pipe. Mainly to see how much oil has passed. To my amazement it was bone dry, not even the slightest of oil residue. This is after 2000kms of off road and driving up mountain passes with my foot to the floor for 30+ min at a time.

Note sure if us just an indication that the engine is breaking in well and has very little blow by or this cyclonic catch can works that we'll. Maybe a bit of both.

Today is glow plus day since the morning temps are now bellow zero. It's a bit cranky starting first thing, starts right away just takes a half revolution more.

So did not get the glow plugs wired up I ended up spending most the day removing the bumping for my circulating block heater. It's not going to fit anywhere under the truck that is going to make it useful. I'm going to have to go with out for now, the loop on the 5/8 line was I believe one of my main causes of overheating so taking the temporary clamp off and eliminating the loop totally was the plan. I was able to do it and still make it possible in the future to install some sort of block heater. I'm thinking Wabaso diesel fueled of some sort in the future.

Anyways once that was done I flushed the system and charged it with Prestone HD diesel coolant to a 50/50 mix good to - 35c. Should be fine for the few - 10 or - 15c days we get here a year.

Now back to glow plugs, I have a timmer curcuit from China that I can adjust from 1-60sec. I plan to wire that up to a waterproof relay. Or for power management I was going to run a resetable breaker they come in amps from 30 to 150amp. I'm thinking for the glow plugs 70-100amps should be enough? Anyone done anything like this before? Am I way off on the amperage?

I've used the cooper busman breakers and they work great, there are Chinese knockoffs too that are much cheaper. I've used both and haven't had an issue yet.

Coopers go to 150 and the Chinese go to 400, a cooper will run 40-90 bucks depending on amps and the Chinese knockoffs go for under $20.

I ran a 250A Chinese on my winch and popped it a couple times on long sticky pulls. You can definitely tell the diff in construction between the two, I have a friend that runs a 300 on a jump pack and when it throws it will often throw the reset lever off the switch!

I've used the cooper busman breakers and they work great, there are Chinese knockoffs too that are much cheaper. I've used both and haven't had an issue yet.

Coopers go to 150 and the Chinese go to 400, a cooper will run 40-90 bucks depending on amps and the Chinese knockoffs go for under $20.

I ran a 250A Chinese on my winch and popped it a couple times on long sticky pulls. You can definitely tell the diff in construction between the two, I have a friend that runs a 300 on a jump pack and when it throws it will often throw the reset lever off the switch!
Yep I have a few of the busman or bluesea breakers. Not sure I would want to risk the China no name ones when it comes to electrical safety.

Had not thought about using them on a winch, I plan to wire in a big bluesea switch to isolate mine when not in use.

I isolate mine with a big ford starter relay

Awesome build. I am thinking of starting to stockpile parts for a swap of my own. I hope you don't mind a few questions.

I found a 1996 NPR that is running, the owner says it has a blown head gasket though and the engine has over 200k miles. So I am thinking a rebuild from the get go if I buy it. I may go look it over tomorrow morning as the guy says he will be parting it out soon. If I go for the Isuzu to FZJ80 adapter kit, what else should I pull off the NPR?

Maybe most importantly what should I look for and listen for when I take a look at the engine? I have zero experience with diesels but am a pretty good wrencher in general. Sorry for the bit of a hijack.

:cheers:

I isolate mine with a big ford starter relay

Yeah, the glow plugs on my 1.6TD each have a 10ga wire that goes to a fused distribution block with an individual 20A fuse for each, and a 4ga line to an 80A continuous rated solenoid, which has a 2ga line to the starter solenoid stud, which has an 0ga line to the battery that is maybe 2 feet long.

Massive overkill for four 9A glow plugs, but every little bit helps! Plus it makes it far less likely that i will burn out my $45 glow plug relay.

I hear that this is not recommended on certain engines because there are some weird glow arrangements out there that have unusually low operating voltages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom