Shelving/Storage/Workspace for Garage/Shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been many a year since I've had a real garage where I could work on my vehicles, but we're nearing completion on my wife's house and my garage and I was wondering if anyone had opinions to share.

First, some info:

I have an old Craftsman toolbox with maybe 6 drawers sitting on a roller box it's not made to fit on that has gotten me through many years, but I think I need to expand a bit. Additionally shelves or storage closets for parts, larger tools, Christmas decorations, camping gear...you know the drill, will be needed. We have no attic and storage is scarce but thankfully I'm clutter-phobic so our junk is kept to a minimum.

It's an oversized 2 car garage with an 8' door (so Cora, the FJ60, can fit with her luggage rack installed). Beside the standard width 2 car door is another 8' section of garage that will be my shop. The motorcycles will be parked here, likely with a lift. My tools and various storage might be able to line the side wall but I'd rather keep all storage and work space along the "back" wall of the garage extending from in front of the cars all the way into my shop area.

Now the question: Toolboxes, storage shelves, cabinets....what do you use? What DON'T you use? Brand names or specific items are welcome. Recommend building something myself from the Home Depot lumber pile? Why or why not? Just want some thought starters.

I'll also try to get around to posting a couple photos for you guys if you like.

Don't have many great photos. The first one should give you an idea of the layout. You can see the main garage door and a 4' barn door opening for the shop area. Second is much more recent and shows off my heavy-ass barn door. I need to workout more.

ymJ2q0J.jpg

HXMZAtB.jpg

I'm a fan of used stuff that's cheap and repurposed, however looks like you have a very nice pad! Congrats on the new digs.

Look on Craigslist in the materials section for used kitchen cabinets that someone replaced, you can usually find solid hardwood face framed boxes that are good enuf for the garage.

If you have some extra $ in your garage budget and don't like the stain/ finish on the cabinets, have the painter that's working on the house spray a pigmented lacquer on the face frame and doors which will stick to the old finish with a little scuff and sand for color matching on the new house.

You can buy 2x10 sheets of stainless and make some nice counters after putting 3/4" plywood over the boxes.

I went with the pictured product line from Sears. The basic 6' bench goes on sale for $165 regularly. Then there are plenty of options to suit individual needs. Right nowI have three of them forming a "L" shape in the corner of my garage. I did standard peg board on the walls above them. I'm now working on adding drawer modules below as funds allow.

I went this direction as I figured I had the best chance of the product not being discontinued in the near future as Sears has had them forever. On sale I feel the value is good for what you get. Home Depot offers a similar product line but I did not trust it would be around for years if I wanted to add to it.

The weak point with the Sears stuff is the standard work tops are particle board. Steel tops are an upgrade but are a little costly.

image.jpg

Figure out what size totes you are using before building your storage shelfs, or design them to be modular/adjustable shelfs. I use adjustable shelf units from Costco for storage, they run about $60 a piece and offer some flexibility, but aren't very deep and aren't fixed to the wall. And go as vertical as you can storing stuff to save space.

I've been actually eyeing a stackable harbor freight toolbox. I read up on it and should last a long time the way I would use it. The top & bottom on a 44" tool chest is about $680 total.

pallet racking. Works good. Bench down low, storage everywhere else. You wont have to worry about over loading it. And you can usually get it cheaper then buying shelves to fit the space.

@gahi, hello there. You hsve any pictures of said shelves. I am not picturing this.

Thanks.

pallet racking. Works good. Bench down low, storage everywhere else. You wont have to worry about over loading it. And you can usually get it cheaper then buying shelves to fit the space.

these aren't mine, but same idea. Use one of the lower shelves as a bench. Then heavy duty storage everywhere else.

You can get much shorter ones then in the picture, or cut them down to the height you want.

P1000629.jpg

I just got 3 edsal metal racks from amazon for 55 dollars each. The ones I order were 78h x48w x 18d and come with 5 shelves weight is 1000 pounds per shelf. Can't built for much less. They have different sizes

these aren't mine, but same idea. Use one of the lower shelves as a bench. Then heavy duty storage everywhere else.

You can get much shorter ones then in the picture, or cut them down to the height you want.

I picked up some pallet shelving years ago when a place called Home Base was selling off everything in the store. Pallet shelving went last. I picked up the shorter 8' high shelves. Also looked and found the narrower runs that were only 8' long. Most the runs I have are heavier duty then those pictured. Because this was long ago the shelve material was 2"X6"s. If I had a taller ceiling and forklift I could stack engines on them. Probably not as cheap as a store liquidating everything off but in larger cities you can find surplus stores that buy stuff like this up and resell it.

Figure out what size totes you are using before building your storage shelfs, or design them to be modular/adjustable shelfs. I use adjustable shelf units from Costco for storage, they run about $60 a piece and offer some flexibility, but aren't very deep and aren't fixed to the wall. And go as vertical as you can storing stuff to save space.

I did a very similar thing with my garage. Built the entire thing around the storage bin dimensions, and my wife's car dimensions :bang:. I went through alot of sketches/mockups before I tore into the walls. (Which was easy considering only one had drywall).

IMG_1575.JPG IMG_1579.JPG IMG_1608.JPG That was the e-panel for the entire house (which I later upgraded to a 200amp)
IMG_1611.JPG IMG_1745.JPG I built a Compressor shed (Hide its ugly ass, knock down noise, free up room inside the garage)
This is IR is pretty quiet... considering. Continue in next message...

I wired 20amp receptacles EVERYWHERE. My father-in-law was laughing his ass off at me (Until he saw the garage a few weeks later and realized what I had anticipated. We re-enforced the ceiling heavily, and ran the compressed air line to where I was going to hang the Reel-Craft. Stuffed the old/original cast iron sink into place and continued building. No space was spared.
IMG_2117.JPG IMG_2229.JPG IMG_2243.JPG IMG_2244.JPG IMG_2245.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom