LED lights on Tail gate.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 9w don't put out 3x the light of the 3w... they are brighter but not by a whole lot. That said I would use the 9w unless I was intentionally looking to not be so bright (close lighting like in the glove box etc)

Just ordered a set yesterday. I need a little more light in the DS and PS area. I also like the idea of the two lights in the rear hatch. Thanks.

I put 2 mounted to the underside of the hood too... lights up the engine bay pretty well.
Looks pretty funny out in a field at night with the hood, rear hatch and doors all open... like a spaceship.

I put 2 mounted to the underside of the hood too... lights up the engine bay pretty well.
Looks pretty funny out in a field at night with the hood, rear hatch and doors all open... like a spaceship.
Did you wire these up with a hood switch or a regular two position switch?

Can you post pics of the underwood mounts? Not at night for brightness, but the actual mount point.
Thanks

I ran them up into existing holes in the support structure of the hood(poked holes in the hood insulator) and ran the (extended) wires down behind the hood insulator to the hinge and down to the fender top. I had to fuss with the holes to make them a little larger and to be able to get the nut on the back side. If I was doing it again I'd fab up little brackets to hold the lights and screw them to the hood structure supports.

Lights look pretty neutral in color... maybe a little towards "led blue/white" but not much. I HAVE touched them after they had been on for a while and didn't notice anything...
I positioned them specifically so light would spill out onto the slider and ground. I am thinking of adding a couple to the doors themselves, both for the additional ground light and the safety of others to more easily see the door if it is open.

Do you have any pictures of the lights where you can see their actual size? I cant find pictures on Ebay or anywheres that shows how big they are. Are we talking diameter of a quarter? Half dollar? Inch and a half?. Any general idea of diameter would be killer. Thanks!

GREAT pics.. I notice that some of these seem to primarily point DOWN, to the tailgate. Which is fine, especially if you use the tailgate
for stuff like a camp stove, table, etc.

But I wonder if there is a way to mount these small LEDs on some kind of adjustable, or ball-socket type bracket? So it could be
directed outward, towards the entire campsite behind my tailgate? Anyone try this? Or source parts for this kind of a DIY mount?

THanks.. pics always appreciated!!! :popcorn:

There are swivel/adjustable possibilities galore... limited only by your budget and/or ingenuity. You could even mount a second set of lights in the flat part of the hatch that points rearward when it is open...

This is great. Where are you guys wiring? Seems tapping to rear cargo light would be easy but what is everyone doing?

Mine are run from an aux fusebox I installed in the pass rear quarter. I have grand plans for all sorts of lights and do-dads back there which is why the aux box is there.

Mine are run from an aux fusebox I installed in the pass rear quarter. I have grand plans for all sorts of lights and do-dads back there which is why the aux box is there.

That's a good idea. Any pic? I know OT (sort of), but would love to see your setup so far.

@woytovich i used the same lights. I made custom panels but only used the smaller right panel because The wiper motor on the left sticks out to far for a flat panel. I started out with one light in that panel but decided I'd try 2 lights instead. Man I think one light might be enough, those things are bright!

Panel made from plexiglass and painted to match car
3b08b3e78f86db7a4b66b0b8678fd5ad_zps9fd98757.jpg

Lights on!
94d529d87623425945ff6f81f1083323_zpsbe9fc2da.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom