1980 Pickup 2WD SR5 Longbed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been driving it every day now for the last several months. Everything is running in tip top shape. I probably drive it harder than I should but it handles like a go kart. I love everything about the little truck except for how often people completely overlook me and try to run me over. Once this week a person pulled out in front of me and then a big a$$ truck tried to squash me when he pulled a U-turn from the next lane...
So except for that the experiment is going grand. I have decided to sell the 40 to get something bigger for the family camping trips. Although I hate going modern with the electronics I am looking at 80s and 100s to replace the 40. There are some great specimens to be found.
I will be looking to replace the tires on the pickup this fall and maybe get the seats recovered. I want some Molle panels to get sewn into the passenger seat so I can attach pouches/bags/etc. That would be absolutely tacticool. I will post pictures if I go that route. If anyone knows of a source for large panels of coyote tan or FDE Molle post up a link.

Tried to get the truck inspected for NC law but the PO cut out the cat so the guy failed me. I'm not looking forward to the cost but I guess I'll be going to my muffler shop this week to get a new cat, muffler, and pipe put in. I will be sure to post pictures. I'm curious how this will affect the settings on my carb.
In other news I ended up selling the 40 and found an 80. The truck is excelling as my Saturday chores vehicle. Still absolutely in love with it and I don't miss the Tacoma truck payments one bit...

If it is a federal emission truck IT NEVER HAD A CAT. California emissions only.

I thought so!!! I'm totally taking it somewhere else tomorrow. How do I prove it is a federal truck and not CA to that wanker, because I know without a doubt it is federal based on the carb rebuild.

That is pretty intact. It should have the emissions label on the underside of the hood.

How do I prove it is a federal truck and not CA to that wanker, because I know without a doubt it is federal based on the carb rebuild.

What Dan said. There should be two stickers on the underside of the hood. One is vacuum routing, the other will look like the pic attached. Notice that mine says "catalyst."
20141101_092844[1].jpg

Nice. I have that sticker and it doesn't say anything about the CAT. I'm going to clean the sticker up and just take it to the dealership. They did fine by me on the 80. Plus if they give me any trouble I'll just have them call Dan. :)

Look at my label. What you see is a line that says "Exhaust Emission Control System : EFI EGR O2S TWC." You will also see I have a California truck.

EFI, EGR speak for themselves. O2S is your Ox sensor. TWC is "three way catalyst," or the CAT on my truck. You should have a similar line on your label.

Be VERY careful cleaning it. You do not want to destroy the print.

It may say "non-catalyst" or simply "AI/EGR" AI being "air injection" in this case because it has an air pump.

Be VERY careful cleaning it. You do not want to destroy the print.

It may say "non-catalyst" or simply "AI/EGR" AI being "air injection" in this case because it has an air pump.

And to add to the confusion for the Gen1 trucks ... my California 1982 short bed 22R had not only a CAT, but an Ox sensor, even though it wasn't EFI. So for emission control it had the air pump, EGR, cat, Ox sensor.

So Dan, are the under hood stickers still available from Toyota?

So Dan, are the under hood stickers still available from Toyota?

I tried to get one for mine since my hood was being repainted, both sides, but was told it wasn't available. I have a good hi-res photo of the old faded sticker before it was peeled off, wish I could get it reproduced.

Real labels are long gone. However copies may be out there.

I looked this morning. My emmissions label is perfectly clear and intact. I didn't know it was there at the time or I would have pointed it out. I will post a photo tomorrow for informational purposes. It does in fact state Non-Catalyst.

BINGO! You have a WINNER......:lol:

Too bad the douche-baggage you delt with was so un-edcuated.

Do be prepared for additional battle since almost everybody but me was born long after this stuff was published.......:eek:

BINGO! You have a WINNER......:lol: Too bad the douche-baggage you delt with was so un-edcuated.

Do be prepared for additional battle since almost everybody but me was born long after this stuff was published.......:eek:

I looked this morning. My emmissions label is perfectly clear and intact. I didn't know it was there at the time or I would have pointed it out. I will post a photo tomorrow for informational purposes. It does in fact state Non-Catalyst.

What is sad is the emissions fella should have known it was there, and known to look. Go back, and gloat.

I went back and had to force the guy to come look at the sticker. After he saw it he acknowledged that the truck did not need a catalytic converter. He then grumbled about not wanting to go to jail. We filled out the paperwork and I left. I will not be going back to that place again. Here is a picture of my sticker for the increased knowledge of the group. Thanks again everyone for saving me several hundred dollars. Free beers at my place.
IMG_5520.JPG

Bazinga.................

I've been driving Jasmine again as my daily driver for the last couple of months. I've been working on the 80 trying the fix oil leaks. The truck has been running perfect. It amazes me that it runs so well. I'll be cleaning it up and changing the oil/filter this Tuesday. Might change the windshield wipers too while I'm at it. She is going to be due for some new tires this fall so I'll keep y'all informed. Mini-trucks for the win!

Changed the Oil and filter today...twice! I forgot to verify the o-ring came off with the old filter so the new filter went on with two gaskets. Well, after I started the truck and noticed no oil pressure I immediately turned the truck off. I had dumped about 3 qts of oil onto my driveway. I removed the new filter and immediately found my problem. Doh! I did replace both my wiper blades too.

4.8 qts penzoil high mileage 10w-40
Mobil 1 filter
Bosch wipers

Last edited:
So today I changed the front brake pads and the shocks all around. I have new discs but I need to replace my brake lines. They were fairly far gone so I figured I'd do those jobs at the same time and then bleed the brakes once.
The big surprise was that only one side of my calipers seem to be working. The pad wear is completely gone on the inside pad but the outside pad looks brand new. What are the odds both calipers stuck at some point in the last (lets call it 50000 miles since I have no idea when the brakes were done last)? Is this indicative of a different problem? I have no idea what it could be but the caliper since both sides of the caliper are fed from a common line. Left to right in the pad photo is New, Outside Pad, Inside Pad. IMG_6441.JPG

Anyone know if the calipers are still available from Toyota? Should I go OEM or is this an instance where aftermarket is ok? How about the brake lines?
Also I noticed my muffler looks like a crushed beer can, so it looks like I'll be getting a new muffler back...
New rubber is also on the wish list as the dry rot is getting evident.

So to summarize:
Are the calipers for a 2wd 1980 pickup available from Toyota?
Are aftermarket calipers a good option even if they are available?
Anyone know if they make rebuild kits?
Are the brake lines available from Toyota?

Pictures below for your viewing pleasure since I know were all really Toyota voyoures.

IMG_6443.JPG

IMG_6444.JPG

IMG_6447.JPG

IMG_6445.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom