My first leak... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please take it easy on me as I am a rookie owner of a 76 FJ40. Better yet...my car mechanical knowledge can best be compared to a 2nd grader trying to comprehend Obamacare. Or me trying to figure out Obamacare.

So...after brief ownership, I have noticed a leak. Fluid appears to be collecting on and around the flywheel bell housing (and dripping to garage floor). I will try to attach a photo showing the housing. You will see an empty threaded hole with two fluid droplets on either side. You will also see some moisture on the black undersurface cover plate. Probably stating the obvious, but rear of rig (guess I am allowed to use that term) is to the right.

Any thoughts that could be passed along would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Rook E

image.jpg

I just fixed a similar leak. (My first leak). At first I suspected rear main seal, but after inspecting the motor from the bottom up, i found oil on the aide cover bolt which was coming from the top rear of the motor.

Mine was the rear valve cover gasket that was pinched. My fault from when I replaces the valve seals months ago. Oil would run down the back of the motor where it was not visible and down the bell housing. i cleaned up the bell housing and Tranny/tcase this weekend.

If you only have oil on this lower section, you are usually dealing with a rear main seal. Its kind of a pain.

Thanks all. Not exactly what I was hoping to hear. To expand on the story, immediately after getting the truck I put it in the shop for fluids, etc. The shop handles older cars but not necessarily 40s. Unfortunately it had the leak before the work and still has after. They told me it had a rear main seal leak. They worked on it and charged for 7 hours of labor described as work on the rear main seal and "service transmission & transfer case." Guess the decision is the take it back to the same shop or a new shop that was recently suggested based previous 40 work.

I'd start by talking to the shop and asking them why it is still leaking?

It could be they screwed up, missed something, or...?

How much run time has the motor had since it was replaced? I have had new seals on 40 motors take a little while to "seat" properly. It might be that it will stop after a few hours of use. If it sets most of the time this can happen. If it is a daily driver this would not apply.

Upperblack - I am in Naples, FL.

Shawnfj40 - It was replaced just under 2 wks ago, I drive it short distances (<5miles) most days, and would put total run time at around 2-3 hours.

ColonelMustard - Definitely engine oil

John Smith - How extensive of a repair is that plug?

Rook E I am in Naples too. I can look at it if you want. I live in GGE

Hi there

We had a fj45 that we sent in for a service and the garage overfilled the box with oil and it leaked like hell until it was back at the correct level, just double check if it is gear or engine oil like the Colonel said

Giles

Rook, which shop did the work? I'm also in Naples. (although my 40 is not at the moment)

Thanks Giles. Believe it to be motor oil. See per invoice they replaced 8 qts of motor and 11 qts gear oil.

Edwjmcgrath...I took it to a shop which specializes more in VWs...probably a rookie move. Since have had a couple local shops recommended. Who do you use?

Rook, I think you need to learn a couple of things and then go back to the place that did the work and find out exactly what they did.
Replacing a rear main seal is a major job. It involves REMOVING the transmission. They wouldn't do that if you didn't ask them to. It could be that all they did is replace the fluids everywhere. Engine, transmission, transfer case, front and rear differentials. Is it possible that all they did with the rear main seal is determine that it's leaking? 7 hours seems like a lot, but maybe they did some other stuff too. Engine oil and gear oil are easy to confuse. They smell different tho. That's the best way to tell. They also taste different, but I don't recommend that. ;) Also, what's the deal with that big empty threaded hole? Looks like a drain plug but I can't tell from the pic. That would not be good.

I do pretty much all of my own 40 work. What little I've had done has not been in Naples. One place that seems to do a lot of old car work based on their parking lot, seems to have a good reputation, and I've seen an occasional 40 at, is Franks Pure Automotive on TT. 1190 9th st n.

By all accounts...they removed the transmission and replaced the rear main seal. They listed a crankshaft seal in the parts list and in labor wrote 'crankshaft oil seal - Remove and replace.' Actual labor time was 5.9 hours...for that specific service...but who's counting. And they def told me it was leaking and they would replace.

So I stopped by a different shop yesterday....Lextech off of Old 41. They were recommended by a guy I know with a history of owning 40s. Owner of the shopped was great and talked with me despite the annoying 'driveby.' He said also felt it was motor oil. Ultimately he said to bring it back Sat and it would put it up in the lift so we could both take a look. A definite win-win for a rookie trying to learn about the truck. Said he would help me decide which path to take.

As for the empty treaded hole...not sure and would love some help on that. That has thrown me off since I first saw the leak. Just seems like it would not be plug (what would it plug off?) but rather just a bolt to secure the housing. Thoughts?

Thanks for the note.

OK. 6 hours for the rear seal sounds reasonable. I'm sure he'll figure out where the leak is. There are only a few possibilities.
What exactly is that big hole in and how big is it? Oil pan, transmission? (I hope not!) I can't tell from that pic. Can you take more?
If that's an oil drain hole for anything, that would be very bad.

Again...I am a rookie but this appears to be a threaded hole in the flywheel bell housing. I'm attaching a slightly different view. I took this photo from the drivers side so you can see the oil pan to the left. My brother-in-law sent me a photo of the same region on his and his had a bolt in it.
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom