Builds Shipwreck (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would use a fj60 axle or 80 instead of that old 40 axle for the front. In my opinion if you are going any bigger that 33" tires, the track width should be increased. And a fj60 axle would do that. Also you get the beefier steering knuckles with em. Also, I just did a 2" body lift on mine, its like a 40 was made for such a mod. If done well no one will notice either. FJ40 guys will wheel with me all day and finally notice at the end of the day. And it makes pulling the tranny out wayyyy easier. Maybe it would help you also.

Don't mind me, I've found that trying to find super-great ideas later is troublesome - so I simply steal and post them on my thread to find them later
this fender/rear wheel treatment
DSC04337_zpsdd32e1bb.jpg
is happening to mine.

I am looking for a donor 60 axle... I bought that axle before I asked about axles on Pirate, who knows, I may still use it to get this on the road, but it isn't where I want to be when its done.

I need to spend some quality time with a calculator to finalize what gear ratio I want in the axles...
I like have my axle gears either 4.11s or 3.7s. I like all my low gearing to be in the tcase. I drive mine on the street a lot too cuz I don't want a trail only rig. You may find it easier to buy a whole fj60 thats rusted out. Sell all the parts you don't need and make some money. Maybe find a dead one in someones yard. Or check with local cruiser clubs for axle. Its not worth going with a 40 axle for now in my opinion. But it looks like you have plenty to keep you busy in the meantime till you find what you want.

I like have my axle gears either 4.11s or 3.7s. I like all my low gearing to be in the tcase. I drive mine on the street a lot too cuz I don't want a trail only rig. You may find it easier to buy a whole fj60 thats rusted out. Sell all the parts you don't need and make some money. Maybe find a dead one in someones yard. Or check with local cruiser clubs for axle. Its not worth going with a 40 axle for now in my opinion. But it looks like you have plenty to keep you busy in the meantime till you find what you want.
this is true.... I figured I'd hit up a wrecking yard on Sunday

I was thinking along the line of a 4.56 or even 4.88. Eventually the 6L60e will be available - and for now, it's not my DD so it can get less than perfect mpg. With that said, and fully acknowledging statements to the contrary - should an Atlas 2 or 4 fall into my lap, that will be the transfer case of choice.

from the way-back machine.... how many have actually used this type of ring land cleaner?

we have the engine assembly area... aka the welding area... aka parking

honed and cleaned

after blowing off and oiling... drying

I guess now is time to do this.... I had a parts washer, but it was a pain - beside being messy, keeping solvent in it was problematic and it required 20 gallons of solvent.... I got a sand blaster cabinet, hoping to clean with it... but it didn't work either... so when a friend was looking for a blaster for his C3 build, I made him an offer he couldn't refuse... I'd trade him my assembled one with oxide in it for a unassembled one.

the idea is this. a 5 gallon container for fluid under the cabinet, weld the bottom so it's liquid tight, have a pump with a brush, but also air pressure to blast parts with fluid - then run it through a filter back into the bucket. Since it's sealed, and has explosion proof lights, I can get pretty aggressive with cleaning and not have the mess...to buy one starts at $5,000... anyway, building this is tomorrow's job

I like this idea. Waiting to see the pics of finished product and hear how it works. My parts washer sets on a 20 gallon barrel and can't be sealed, so the solvent does evaporate over time.

Don

getting closer, it was a decision between building a new sink or brazing the parts together.... lots of warp, but still square, the solvent doesn't care..
clean the sealant off

braze together... I did cheat by tacking it together with the mig and mig'ing the screw holes closed...

Sunday, I'll finish it up and clean the parts I built this for.

total cost $250 including solvent.

it always makes me laugh at what pictures my camera decides to take

a mock up transmission for the build.... the guy had it rebuilt, 3 months later it died - he put a t350 in its place. When I got it home, I noticed that the torque converter rattles... rattles... while I'm not an expert on torque converters, I do know that rattling is bad. My initial thought was it broke the sunshell hub, now I think that's probably fine but the torque converter sent lots of metal through the motor - so at minimum it will need a complete rebuild.... no biggie, it was really cheap (like cheaper than a core, cheap)

between the 6" of rain we got in an hour (amazing), the power going out and the basement flooding - I did get the washer finished... I'm quite happy with the result

so I made a funnel to drain back into the solvent tank. I plan on a pump as well, but for now, I'm using a siphon system

I left the pipe in the cup to allow sediment to settle and to also get a chance of saving bolts that drop from going into the 5 gallon container

I do need to do a better job of sealing around the top/base... other than that... it's operational

Last edited:
So I was all ready to spend some mindless time putting rings on pistons... oops, I have 1/16" rings not 5/64.... so I'll put it off to the side for a couple days while I wait for rings....
However, I did get the crank in

.0029 for the oil passages, .0002 end play... amazing how a 300,000 mile motor has no appreciable wear on the hard parts. I simply polished the crank, and cleaned everything else up.

anyway, I figure tomorrow I'll do maintenance on my hummer and work on my wife's Heep

frickin dagnabit!!!!
this ring compressor, is worthless... and I don't know what I did with my other ring compressor (the one that works fine except it's so worn that it has a couple...ummm... issues)

I got the right rings today, got the pistons all ready, but nope, no joy in getting the pistons in.....

at least they're ready to go in.... Sunday, after the Hummer.... which means, if you read my H3 blog, is maybe not

It's a long way for a drink, the closest I get to the States these days is Hawaii, my daughter & son-in-law where in the NY & the Hampton's in June for 2 weeks, I spent 2 weeks working on the 40?

One day my wife & I will tour the States & Canada but at the moment we are still Beach lovers?

9748601_orig.jpg

It's a long way for a drink, the closest I get to the States these days is Hawaii, my daughter & son-in-law where in the NY & the Hampton's in June for 2 weeks, I spent 2 weeks working on the 40?

One day my wife & I will tour the States & Canada but at the moment we are still Beach lovers?

View attachment 960461
it must be rough to be you and live there... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom