Our '87 4R SR5 Honduras Coffee/Missions Rig Build... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The CE light has come on. Haven't checked the codes, but the PO said he did and saw nothing. Hmmm...should I trust the PO? Probably not. :)

The first rule about PO's, is never listen to PO's.

From the looks of that hack job installing a non-OEM fuel pump, no I wouldn't trust him either.

Just found this thread. Awesome. I'm not sure how much of the POs story I buy but it seems like a good find. Electronics get tricky but I highly recommend keeping it away from the dealership unless you know there is an old timer who actually has a clue about what he is doing. Seems like now adays they just hook up a computer and follow the steps it says. There is very little art in being a mechanic now. I'll be watching your progress closely. Keep building the dream.

I agree. Dealership techs have mostly turned into parts swappers.

Get out the FSM, start going through diagnostics. This is a simple engine.

Ok so update! Thank everyone for your suggestions and help. This time I did use the dealership as a friend of mine is the shop manager. Anyway he did all the labor free and only charged me cost on parts!

The wires into the distributor were bad internally so we replaced those. The knock & O2 sensor are throwing codes as well so I'm gonna replace those. Pepe is running much better now.

Our rear leaf springs came in but nothing else to install them. :( Balancing the new tires this morning and then new exhaust if everything goes well. Pepe is a DD now so praying things hold out. :D Drove him to a job this morning.

Thanks MUD!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415453953.340249.jpg

Discount tire says my tires are to big for my rims and they won't touch them (even though they original mounted them)! So gotta find another place for balancing them.

Discount Tire goes out of there way not to balance off-road tires.

I'm sorry Pappy, those tires are more than 10 years old. It doesn't matter that they are part time tires with a bunch of tread left, they are too old.

I'm sorry Pappy, you run spacers with those tires. It doesn't matter that we sold you the spacers.

FJ40: I have 1/4" spacers on the front and 1" spacers on the rear. They used to balance them if I pulled the tires and took them in off the truck. Now, the date code is older than 10 years. They won't touch them under any circumstances. I have only 22K on the tires.

4Runner: I have two sets of wheels. A set of 33x10.50-15 AT that I daily drive, and a set of 33x12.50-15 MT/KM that I play in. I run a 1/4" spacer with the MT/KMs because the steel wheels barely clear the V6 calipers. They won't balance the MTs, but they will balance ATs. Bastards.

^ Well that's frustrating.

I got the exhaust done and I left the cat out. I'm gonna have to go back and have a "resonator" put in cause it now sounds like a rice burner. :eek:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415474070.036658.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415474086.942503.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415474101.484289.jpg

No more FUME smell!!! Had the exhaust routed right and now just to get the resonator ordered and installed.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415637466.594340.jpg

Looking good! That's on my list of things to do.

Talked with the bumper company and they informed me my bumpers won't be ready till late January!!! :(

Got the tires balanced at Texas Toyota of Grapevine. My dealership that always hooks me up!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415726075.444818.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415726092.050630.jpg

Also for anyone curious, the exhaust is 2" back with a Magnaflow muffler. The resonator I'm ordering is a SS 2" flow through ultra quite.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415726286.015417.jpg

Let us know how that 2" works for you. Traditionally, we run 2.25" behind a header. I'm sure that is great for higher rpms, but wondered if there would be better scavenging at lower rpm with 2" from the muffler back.

Anyone have a recommendation on a magnetic oil drain plug. I can't seem to find one specific to my rig. Thanks for any help.

-Daniel Kent

Do what I do: get an old desktop hard drive, tear it apart (you will need a T8 torx driver, very small), then get the magnet out from under the "arm" that sweeps the read/write head across the platters. These are rare earth magnets, crescent shaped, VERY strong. There are several websites that show you how to do this, or you can also buy them on eBay for really cheap. Be careful with it, you can pinch your fingers and tear off skin! Stick the magnet to your oil filter, put a wrap of electrical tape around it if you want. Then when you change your oil, you will have any metal fragments caught in the filter. You can cut the filter open if you want to see what is there. These magnets are much stronger than the magnetized drain plugs.

I also put one in each axle housing to catch fragments in the gear oil, although I do have to pull the diff to check it.

Anyone have a recommendation on a magnetic oil drain plug. I can't seem to find one specific to my rig. Thanks for any help.

Drain plug for engine, tranny, transfercase, diff? For diff, tranny and transfer case Toyota makes one. No idea on engine.

-Daniel Kent
Do a YouTube search for wheelie Pete he has a write up on the allen head style with part numbers. The steel gasket is on back order but the aluminum one is available. I lost the drain plug out of the front diff in Clayton and this is the route I'm going with. I found it. Part numbers are at the very end

Part numbers are at the very end

Differential/tranny/tc Drain Plugs, Magnetic, 10mm allen: 90341-18021
Differential Drain Plug Gasket: 12157-10010
Transfer Case Drain Plug Gasket: 90430-18008

Wow everybody, thanks! I'll scoop up those OEM ones for sure and look at best option for the oil pan (which was my original desire). I'm digging the idea of the earth magnet on the oil filter too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom