Builds Peter's Ultimate Expo Land Cruiser Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

An inquiring mind wanted to know how the length of the ZF5-Atlas 4 (1085mm) compared to the H55f - Toybox - Split case (1020 cm) length from back of block to output flange. It's longer by about 65mm

I did some inventing. One of the problems with the factory power steering with the Cummins is that the high pressure output line points down, directly onto the frame rail, where the steering shaft will need to be. I tore it down this evening, and the pressure relief spring and the output mechanism, can be reversed, so the line can point up. That problem is solved. (Mind you, I should do some testing to make sure everything works... both ends of the housing have bypass ports, and the main spring is perfectly centered between the ports, and it assembled nicely, so on the bench, at least, all seems fine.

Interesting note... for the first time I can ever remember, I got to use a 20mm socket... those pressure ports on the power steering pump are 20mm! I went through every wrench and socket in the drawer, and couldn't find anything that fit. 19 too small. 21 too big. Found an old 20mm socket, and that was it. 20mm. Who knew?!??

DSC01390 (Small).JPG
DSC01391 (Small).JPG
DSC01392 (Small).JPG

Last edited:
Problem remains that the power steering pump is just too close to the frame....
DSC01394 (Small).JPG
DSC01395 (Small).JPG
DSC01396 (Small).JPG

If the frame were about 50mm further outboard (100mm overall) then I could easily clear the frame with the power steering pump and pulley....
DSC01400 (Small).JPG
DSC01402 (Small).JPG
DSC01403 (Small).JPG

And I would probably have the extra 45mm I need in order to install the clutch slave without pulling the engine out of the frame...

DSC01373 (Small).JPG
DSC01374 (Small).JPG

And I would then have a little more room to inboard the 3.5 to 4" exhaust inboard of the frame rails...
DSC01404 (Small).JPG

And give me just a bit more room between the frame rails for engine mounts.
DSC01363 (Small).JPG
DSC01365 (Small).JPG
DSC01366 (Small).JPG
DSC01367 (Small).JPG

So that's if for my evening with the tape measure. Time to order some DOM to widen this sucker by 100mm.
DSC01408 (Small).JPG
DSC01409 (Small).JPG

How tough will this make the body mounts and fenders? Will the inner fender skirts still work? I know these are minor details compared to getting the driveline in.

How tough will this make the body mounts and fenders? Will the inner fender skirts still work? I know these are minor details compared to getting the driveline in.

33% tougher. 75% of the body mounts have already been cut off the original frame, meaning 66% of the body mounts were already going to be custom. Now 100% of the body mounts will be custom.

I was always planning on custom inner fender skirts to clear tires, mount accessories, and clear suspension. Frame widening does not make this any more complicated.

I have some 1.75" DOM if it works for you.

Frame cross members unwelded from frame rails....
20141029_212307_Android.jpg
20141029_212349_Android.jpg

And frame rails mocked up 100mm wider. Looks positively spacious now

20141030_215246_Android.jpg
20141030_215234_Android.jpg
20141030_215202_Android.jpg
20141030_215136_Android.jpg
20141030_215259_Android.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa.

Seeing the frame totally in pieces is scary. Good for Halloween though.

But it looks like the upside of widening the frame rails far outweigh the problems of keeping them stock.

This is the ultimate expo rig after all.

I think you told me the reason to keep the stock frame at all now? Was it for registration complications? My own personal interest says you should start from scratch and build a custom frame of high strength materials.

I think you told me the reason to keep the stock frame at all now? Was it for registration complications? My own personal interest says you should start from scratch and build a custom frame of high strength materials.

Yes, registration. This Frame has a valid, albeit now expired, Alberta registration and insurance in my name. The completed vehicle will have matching Frame number and VIN plate matching that registration. It's probably moot, now anyway, but that was the thought. I do not entirely disagree with the idea of completely starting from scratch....

looks like the right move you made Peter . Should ease up fabrication as well as future maintenance . Excited to follow this one.

Uh-oh. You're actually doing work on this thing? I thought you were kidding.

I think you should fabricate your own steel for your own custom frame. That's truly the only way to go. For several reasons - namely because it'll take you longer. ;)

Uh-oh. You're actually doing work on this thing? ...- namely because it'll take you longer. ;)

This is a throw down, a showdown, hell no, I can't slow down
It's gonna go down, first truck to drive down, and not break down
Okay, party people in the house, may I have your attention, please?
At the moment, the trucks will be in many parts, come on and break
Many parts, many, one, two, three, come on and break

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom