How tall are you FJ45 owners? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm a short guy, well under 6', and I find my wife's 45 to be snug. It's ok around town but it gets old pretty quick on a road trip - but still a lot of fun.

I am with Tony, love my 67 FJ-45 but hate driving it. I am 6'2". If your ever in LA come take it for a ride.

No more FJ45, but I did a drive from Vancouver island to Pismo, 22hrs in a bread box was OK but then again at 5toot nine, in prelude seats parabolic springs and 1hz turbo h55, not so bad..

Rob

Well, I'm 6'2" and 250 and when I first sat in my 45 shortbed I knew it was gonna be cramped. During this resto-mod I had 4X4 Labs build me a custom seat bracket after mocking up just the right seat height. I bought the shortest Ididit steering column and after having that mocked up at NC 4X4 (affiliated with 4X4 Labs) we called Ididit and sent them the column to have it shortened as much as possible. The steering wheel had to be no more than 16" just so the tops of my thighs wouldn't rub. The seats I went with had the shortest distance from the front to the back and it slides all the way to about 1/4 inch from the back wall. Oh, yeah. I also took both pedals out and had them modified. Gee, I guess that's all I had done....and I still barely fit. Long trips? Doubtful at 57 years old, but its still about a month from completion so who knows?

Good to hear you have been making progress and almost done ctcv 1984. Chatted with you last fall, you are going to have one fine 45 to putt around in, remember you promised me a ride, going to hold you to it. BTW I found my long awaited 45 I was looking for.
Best Skip (Grass Valley)

Last edited:
I'm 5'7 250lbs, and Tony let me drive his SWB 45 cruiser all the way from LA to Atlanta Ga. Smile on my face the whole way!!! I would say no power steering is what really sucks for me!​

2013 Oct 2 Travelers.jpg

2013 Oct Brice Up Close.jpg

Hi Skip

Hiya, Skip. Good to hear from you up therein GV. Yeah, I was gonna look you up when I finished this damn thing, hopefully next month. Ben may have told you why I took back the 45, if not I'll fill in the blanks when I make my way back up there, again, hopefully in February. Ben also told me (or was it you?) that you found a 45 in Arizona. I'm happy for you on that find. At any rate, you'll see me and my finished 45 soon. I'll get ahold of you through Ben. Pete.

Hiya, Skip. Good to hear from you up therein GV. Yeah, I was gonna look you up when I finished this damn thing, hopefully next month. Ben may have told you why I took back the 45, if not I'll fill in the blanks when I make my way back up there, again, hopefully in February. Ben also told me (or was it you?) that you found a 45 in Arizona. I'm happy for you on that find. At any rate, you'll see me and my finished 45 soon. I'll get ahold of you through Ben. Pete.
Hey Pete
Out of town will send you a PM this weekend.
Skip

Hey, Skip. I'll be home in Oregon with my family and won't be back till Monday, the 3rd. No internet till then. Pete.

'65 FJ-45 SWB rem top
I'm a shade under 5' 9" now (and of course shrinking as the years tick off which helps this situation in the long run). I drive it daily and often on 3 or 4 hour trips no problem. But the custom mount Mastercraft buckets are back and up. And though I have the stock column, I sent the original wheel to my Carbon-fiber/Epoxy-extraordinaire brother along with an '89 Toy pickup wheel from the junkyard so I could get a smaller, fatter wheel with the original hub and spokes. Helped with the leg clearance big time.

Based OME, I would think that being taller than I am would make this truck very uncomfortable to drive for any significant length of time on the road. Of course other things can come into play for long rides though like Suspension type, good PS, and of course good tunes.

After5speedACupgrade06.jpg

6', 190#, original column and steering wheel, and I have no issues with fitting in it. As LandPimp said, much more room with top and doors off. No headliner or floor mats/sound dampening so in the winter it's a bit noisy. I usually drive the 55 in the winter and the 45 in the summer as the 55 has way more room and is quieter.

Took it on a road trip to the 45 run several years ago, 12 hours one way. Biggest issue was the noise. I equate it to taking a road trip on an old Harley (not that I've done that) but it's loud (I wore ear plugs) rough (had super swampers at the time) , no radio (tried listening to a discman, but the ambient noise was louder than the earphones), and exhausting..I was wore out after that trip.

My wife is 5'4 and loves to drive the 45, it fits her way better than me.

Dan

I'm 5'4 but I do like room in the cab to put things. It's an original fj45 I chopped to get that leg room I need ! lol however my friend is 6'5 or something ridiculous and he has had his fj45 for about 20years and wants to king cab his 45.

P1040642.jpg

Define irony. I'm the only guy here that fits in one 5-6 and I'm selling it......

you're not the only one. at 5'1", i don't have any height issues. i do have to adjust the clutch so the pedal engages high tho ;)

Every cab's a king cab for us!

Hi
1966 stock FJ 45: i am only 5'6"...and too tight for long distances for me.
So: shortened steering column by 2" ( better) and considering after market Corbeau seats.

6'2 240, driving my FJ45 RHD Troopy from Charlotte down to Orlando I definitely lost my happy spot also, had to find it a few times with stops, I'm thinking of raising my seat, or aftermarkets, and modifying the brackets to go back a little farther also, right knee also needs some changes in the door area to be more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom