It's not cast iron (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome Tom. These are great. When are you cooking, and what's for dinner?

And has your wife decided she doesn't like it and should throw it in the trash yet?

Last edited:
Awesome Tom. These are great. When are you cooking, and what's for dinner?

And has your wife decided she doesn't like it and should throw it in the trash yet?

Chris likes the deBuyer pan, and I've forgiven her for accidentally putting my 30yo 12" Griswold out with the trash (although it wasn't easy). The deBuyer seems just as good or better, it seems lighter to lift, and the long handle is a real blessing.

If it was a Griswold, it was a lot more than 30 years old.

edit
I looked it up. The last Griswold made in Erie, Pa was 1957. Then they closed the plant.

Last edited:
If it was a Griswold, it was a lot more than 30 years old.

edit
I looked it up. The last Griswold made in Erie, Pa was 1957. Then they closed the plant.

Absolutely.. Some of that Gwiswold cast is selling for BIG MONEY... I looked at a nice griddle the other day and walked away quickly.. $425.00... OUCH!

This link may be already here, but if not, The Cast Iron Collector.. Lots of good info here...

http://www.castironcollector.com/

Jason

haha way to rub it in!

I picked up some radio chatter between some of the It's-not-cast-iron-ers about a nifty piece of equipment used to clean steel & cast iron cookware. It's called The Ringer. It's basically a small washcloth made of stainless chainmail.

View attachment 932089

I just got it yesterday, so I haven't tested it much, but so far it looks promising. It scrubs off any stuck matter, but not the seasoning. Amazon reviewers says it works awesome on glass dishes and other scratch-resistance pieces.

Since it is stainless, you can pop it in the dishwasher or just use soap and water to clean it.

The Ringer Cast Iron Cleaner XL 8x6 Inch Stainless Steel Chainmail https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FKBR1ZG/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_-fj9tb14ZVQY3

I have to say that I bought one of these suckers after @FJ60Cam posted this link but had not had an opportunity to use it until this weekend. I made a pot of elk chili in a dutch oven on the smoker (BGE) this weekend and had a baked on mess of sorts. This thing is amazing for cleaning cast iron, etc. The cleanup afterwards has been something that crimped my use of cast iron in the past. The clean up process is so simple with these chainmails that I know I'll be using the De Buyer pans and my cast iron a lot more.

Thanks for the tip!

Oh man you guys, I just happened upon this thread. I read through all 19 pages of it. I am a cast iron freak. We cook daily on a cast iron stove top griddle.

I have seen the Lodge steel pans and now I'm going to get one!!

Thanks for feeding the habit, as if my wife didn't think I spend enough time talking about Land cruisers on this forum. Lol

Get some Tom! We just need some action shots!
OK, ok. Collecting them now. Here's a teaser -- French Toast:
FrenchToast.jpg

I switched completely to cast iron a couple years ago. We don't even own a teflon pan anymore. I do all of my eggs on my 10 in round griddle and meat in my 12 in seasoned steel. The steelie has become my go to pan for home and camping. Still have to cook my cornbread in the cast iron skillet though.

Oh, I am completely satisfied with all my Lodge cast iron and steel. Cast iron skillets, griddle, 3 dutch ovens, steel skillet. None have ever let me down and the non-stick is great. You just have to take care of them and they will take care of you.

good eye Cam, good eye!

I wasn't sure if this goes in here, the Coleman thread, the Sandwich thread or the beer thread...

cooking grilled cheeses with the griddle on the 426C.

image.jpg

Last edited:
San Francisco Bay from Blithedale Ridge fire road, on Sunday morning dog walk:
SFbay-med.jpg

It's not cast iron content...
bacon.jpg

...for...
BLTA.jpg

Has anyone used the lodge ceramic coated Dutch ovens? I really want a nice 5qt for doing soups and braises and stews at home. I can't bring myself to spend 250 for le crouset.

Has anyone used the lodge ceramic coated Dutch ovens? I really want a nice 5qt for doing soups and braises and stews at home. I can't bring myself to spend 250 for le crouset.

Made. In. China.

Find a Creuset on ebay. I got one for around $100. Still a lifetime product if used properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom