The welders thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi all,

So far, from my limited experience it is a nice machine. A friend that is a very experienced welder says the Hobart 190 seems to burn a bit hotter than his Lincoln 230V MIG.

Regards,

Alan

How do you like the Hobart 190?

Just bought a Lincoln 255 mig machine today!!! I really like it.. a lot. Lays a nice smooth bead. Will post up some pics a little later.

Thought it was time to start one since we have some fabrication finally going on here.

Post up your machine make, model, preferred wire
Pictures of said machine(s)
Picture of a nice bead
What your experience level is
Pictures of current or past projects

And of course tech on general set up and operations

This should be informative and help out the noobs... such as myself. I'm still learning and will continue to do so for a long time to come.

Let the games begin.

mm211 0.30 solid wire
20 couple years aws cert pipe welder/fitter. the steam projects have slowed down in recent years, so its been mostly stainless sanitary stuff lately. round is round and if it aint round throw it down.

13bumperH.jpg

13bumperL.jpg

Thats a great looking bumper Brian. I really miss my 40.

I'm an amateur at best, but I've got a Hobart Ironman 210, a ready welder and most recently a Miller plasma that I use to build my LC projects. Most recently, my rear crossmember and rear quarter panels. I'd love some critiquing!

IMAG1419.jpg

IMAG1421_BURST007.jpg

I suck at sheetmetal. The blobs are burn throughs that I filled in.

IMAG1461.jpg

Well for anyone who cares, I have a Miller Multimatic 200. I'm not really a welder but I liked the idea that it could set Amps and feed based on material thickness and wire size selected, not to mention run off 110 since my house isn't really wired for 220. I actually bought a generator to supply 220 if and when I need it.

My first really project last year was an 8274 mount. I didn't have gas for this project so use rosin core wire.

DSC04349.JPG

The welds aren't pretty but actually seemed solid and lucky for me only hold the pieces together while it is bolted in behind the factory bumper.

DSC04381.JPG

DSC04384.JPG

I'm an amateur at best, but I've got a Hobart Ironman 210, a ready welder and most recently a Miller plasma that I use to build my LC projects. Most recently, my rear crossmember and rear quarter panels. I'd love some critiquing!

IMAG1419.jpg

IMAG1421_BURST007.jpg

I suck at sheetmetal. The blobs are burn throughs that I filled in.

IMAG1461.jpg
I dont think your stuff looks to bad. I find that on sheet metal its better to use flux core wire and a copper spoon. Helps with heat dissipation.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414514512.602704.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414514568.552978.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414514631.151380.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414514655.817429.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414514754.101322.jpg

Some pics from a bumper I made last year- couldn't find the finished pic on the truck. I'm not the best weldor, but have improved a lot over the years. I use a Hobart 187 and love it. Pretty much all .30 wire with gas. Started in the garage 5-6 years ago, took night classes about 3 years ago and got certified in mig, made a lot of difference in my confidence level and now don't mind welding on my truck since I know it will hold. Now I've been trying to make furniture as a side business. Last pic is a completed project- height adjustable conference table.

Last edited:
That's a bad ass design on your conference table!

What kind of mechanism did you use? I assume it elevates by turning the center wheel?
Close up pics please!

Last edited:
mm211 0.30 solid wire
20 couple years aws cert pipe welder/fitter. the steam projects have slowed down in recent years, so its been mostly stainless sanitary stuff lately. round is round and if it aint round throw it down.

How do you like the auto set function .. I find it very fast for my welding skills ..

How do you like the auto set function .. I find it very fast for my welding skills ..

it's all i use, however i've always run monkey welders hot. so maybe it just fits my style better.

That's a bad ass design on your conference table!

What kind of mechanism did you use? I assume it elevates by turning the center wheel?
Close up pics please!

I don't have any super close ups but here's some pics during fabrication. It uses two 10 ton worm jack screws which are kept in sync and turned by a three way gear box in the middle. Turning the center wheel can be done with one finger but I think it's something like 30 rev for one inch of raise, but if you spin it for about a min, the table will go from 30in to 45in high.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415124794.633356.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415124843.031994.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415124942.082196.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415124978.253926.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415125099.331396.jpg

Just realized I didnt post any pics of my old machine I bought. Lincoln 255 Wire-Matic Magnum 250Sp

I have a Lincoln 255c I bought back in about 2010.

Took me a while to work out the settings as my power supply at home isn't great, I have to have my voltage set much higher than normal for a given wire feed to get good penetration. Once I got that sorted I could get a nice flat clean bead with good penetration. Very happy with it although it is overkill for my needs.

I love mine.. I dont have much to compare it to though. Seems great so far.

Ok, I'll play...

So years ago I went to school for welding. 1year college course. After that I was all pumped up and bought myself a truck and a Miller Trailblazer 280NT to go Mobile and make a fortune (Too lazy to go out to the shop, will insert a picture later). Worked a few jobs, made enough to pay for all the equipment I bought, and then got sick of being my own boss and applied for a job where I work now, building boats.

Funny part is, I wasn't hired as a welder even with all my qualifications and experience. For the past 12 years I have been working in and Aluminum boat building shop, not being a welder, but have worked my way up to Quality Assurance Manager for the whole company (welding/electrical/outfit etc). Being that I have to QA welding I bugged my boss to let me get some more practical hours in to hone my aluminum skills a little, so that when I tell someone their welds suck I can show them that I know what I am talking about.

At home I love fabricating stuff, so I had my huge ass trailblazer to do whatever I wanted... However, it was so huge and a pain in the ass that I eventually bought a cheap ass Chinese "Real gear" 110v Mig welder and it rocks! Some of the best $400 I ever spent (machine and cart). ANYONE looking to get an entry level MIG welder I highly recommend this little beast... I have done frame repairs, mods, and even built the plow mount that is on my 4runner. Too lazy to walk out to the shop for a pic so pulled this off the web:

image.jpg

So as I mentioned, I have been practicing my Aluminum welding.... I now get 5 hours each Friday playing with all our equipment. The past month I have been using our Lincoln 25M power feed MIG machines running from the S350, awesome package. Pulse on pulse aluminum MIG is sweet. Yesterday I started seriously playing with the TIG, which I will do for the next month. We have a few Lincoln and Miller TIG machines, and so far I like the Miller better... Yesterday I made this little stool, so I have something to sit on for the next month while I practice my TIG.. 6061 extrusion and 5083 plate, all put together with 5356 rod.

I welded the top first, and the feet last... Skill level definitely improved by the time I got to the bottom! Was running about 200-230 Amps.

image.jpg

image.jpg

So now I am totally HOOKED on TIG welding, and I am going to buy myself a little TIG welder for home, and get rid of my trailblazer as it just sits never used....

Looking around and it seems that this is a pretty decent package.... Gonna place my order this weekend - anyone played with it? 200A AC/DC TIG from Eastwood, on sale now for $749 with free shipping..... Decent reviews on YouTube, and can't beat the price...

http://www.eastwood.com/tig-welders-eastwood-tig-ac-dc-welder.html

Just started over the summer on a Hobart stickmate. I like 6011 and 7018.

Here's my most recent project:

imageuploadedbyih8mud-forum1412452174-206462-jpg.949475

I'd post up a pretty bead, but I can't make those yet.

I have a table setup in my garage, as well as a torch:

3C260C9E-C012-4898-875F-CBC0F45FCA28_zpspyn38kje.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom