BJ4567 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, time for another stretched 40 thread. This one isn't going to move very fast.... well.... it will likely be even slower than my other threads!

THE BACKGROUND
Always loved the 40 series. The roof has to come off!! But the little 40s have gotten too small for my family (4 kids and my wife). And I've always loved the troopies. But a troopy is a pretty long truck. So I've decided to split the difference.

I'm also now in love with the 3B diesel.... which I have in my BJ42. So of course, I'm gonna go with a diesel

THE PLAN
A while back I purchase a stretched 40 tub (aluminum). It is +16" in the wheelbase (106" wheelbase) and +13" on the rear overhang (total of 29" longer). I'll fit this body with some variation of 6 seats. Likely 2+2 buckets and a rear bench. Can't find a pic of it right now.

For the frame I had 2 40 series sitting in pieces in the yard forever and cut out rails from one to weld into the other. BUT, I found a very clean fj55 frame (106" wheelbase) that had been blasted, boxed, and painted and decided to pick that up.
IMG_2323_zpsb6f4e239.jpg

For the drivetrain I found a local BJ70 that has a pretty rough body but only 165k km on the clock!! 3B, 5 speed, split case (and suspension seats!). This thing runs like new and is definitely going into my project.
IMG_3326_zps0c2f2845.jpg

For axles I was planning Toyota for now. 60 axles are most likely.

THE NAME
B for the 3B
4 for the 40 series
5 for the 55 frame (and 45short wheelbase)
6 for the 60 axles
7 for the 70 drivetrain.

Last edited:
A friend of mine suggested, BJ57 since it is a mix of everything. Awesome idea. I'll forever more refer to this truck as the BJ57 (Heinz 57).
Thanks Ryan!

Sounds like a good plan to me. My bj46 is a great ride for four but if another kid pops out I'll be looking at your thread for a solution! Get us some pics of that tub ASAP.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom