Brushes for blower motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helipilot

SILVER Star
Threads
1977 FJ-40. Frame off restoration. Have the blower assembly disassembled for much needed cleaning and repaint. I removed the top of motor cap and the interior was really nasty, lots of carbon dust and oily residue. The brushes are pretty worn and I am asking if anyone knows the "new" length and also where to buy them. Being Saturday, the local Toyota dealer's parts department is closed.

I washed the plastic housing in hot water and soap, lightly sanded with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and painted it. Looks good.

Also disassembled the heater and all the hoses/tubes, hot water and soap, FOUND A BROWN RECLUSE SPIDER who seemed pretty ticked off that I was disturbing her and the heater radiator was totally blocked with dog hair and other debris. Being an Arizona rig, I don't think the heater was used much. Ordered the rebuild kit from Shane at Metric. I will post pictures of the rebuild when I am finished.

1977 FJ-40. Frame off restoration. Have the blower assembly disassembled for much needed cleaning and repaint. I removed the top of motor cap and the interior was really nasty, lots of carbon dust and oily residue. The brushes are pretty worn and I am asking if anyone knows the "new" length and also where to buy them. Being Saturday, the local Toyota dealer's parts department is closed.

I washed the plastic housing in hot water and soap, lightly sanded with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and painted it. Looks good.

Also disassembled the heater and all the hoses/tubes, hot water and soap, FOUND A BROWN RECLUSE SPIDER who seemed pretty ticked off that I was disturbing her and the heater radiator was totally blocked with dog hair and other debris. Being an Arizona rig, I don't think the heater was used much. Ordered the rebuild kit from Shane at Metric. I will post pictures of the rebuild when I am finished.

EDIT: Found the size of the brushes; .25" x .23" x .50" long new. Also learned Toyota considers the blower motor as a sealed, non repairable unit. I don't see why it can't be rebuilt. I will keep you informed.

I've seen motor brushes at good Ace Hardware stores.

i always got my brushes at the local hardware sometimes you have so sand them down a bit for the proper fit

I will check with the Ace Hardware this week. Thanks for the info.

I also used brushes from the hardware store, find some the right size and longer than what you have left. Will probably have to solder the leads on or other custom mods, but will work fine.

I know I replaced them on my FJ60 many years ago, one had worn down so far it was kicked sideways and clicking on the stator. After that repair, I think I did the same on my 1973 FJ40, but now I can't recall.

I also walked into my local NAPA once and got brushes for a late 2F alternator, I don't know how they compared in size, but may be an avenue also if you have a patient parts guy, that will let you dig through some alternator brush sets in the back. Maybe Toyota used similar brushes on that stuff.

Cool

UPDATE: Finally got by the Toyota dealer today...he can order the brush holder with brushes for $7.96 I neglected to get a part number but when my order gets here I will post the part number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom