Builds LX450 where to start! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you end up getting the Slee / ADS setup for shocks ? thoughts if so....... I love mine over 20 MPH but not sure if the springs or shocks are the issue at lower speeds..... putting the 4" Slee's in next week along with a batch of other goodies to see if that's the issue...

be interested to get your input.

E

off track but i'm running slee's 4inch springs and couldn't be happier. They are paired with OME sport shocks and i personally love it. I am running heavy progressive rears.

I do have them sitting on a shelf they seem great at no speeds lol. I am hoping to get them on not next weekend but the weekend after with the front end rebuild. Next weekend is alternator replacement, fusible links and wiring clean up. weekend after the front end is new brake master cylinder and new ujoints. So much fun! <sarcastic font> lol.

Hey Noah, I saw your PM, hope you don't mind but I am just going to try and answer them here so that anyone else that might have the same questions might also get them answered.

I didn't do a write up on my kit besides the posting of the entire parts selection and terrible paint drawing a few pages back. My setup is a little unique in that I already had a big water tank that was fabricated for the A/W intercooler and windshield washer tank. It is around 5 gallons. I also did not use a water/meth spray controller because I am using the standalone Haltech and it can be programmed to trigger the relay when I want the pump to fire.

In a more traditional setup you would have a plastic tank of some sort probably around a gallon or 3/4 of a gallon, it would only be for the water/meth system. In that tank you would have a low fluid warning LED that would be wired into the cab (I don't have this as I have a huge tank I just check at fuel ups. I haven't used even a 1/4 of a gallon per tank of fuel). Most water/meth kits use push on tubing, I wanted -an 6 line, so different there, I also wanted an inline filter because I have a lot going on in my tank.

For the TRD system like you have, I would recommend a complete ready to go system. A place like Snow Performance has setup some nice kits. One that would work well with the SC is:

http://www.snowperformance.net/stage-2-maf-boost-cooler.html

You would wire it into your MAF sensor and you could adjust the spray based off of MAF voltage. The Snow performance setup does progressive spay so you could do maybe 30%@2v, 60%@3v, and 100%@4v+ just make sure that you use one of the smaller nozzles. With a positive displacement blower you are always making boost even if you are not positive manifold pressure so their other kit that is tuned off of manifold pressure might not work as well for you.

The other thing to remember is that since you are not looking to substitute methanol as a fuel and are just looking for the water/meth to be a cooling agent the exact and precise tuning is not needed. Additionally if your system fails for some reason, you won't be looking at catastrophic engine loss like the guys that are pumping huge amounts of meth and pushing the timing and boost up. The nozzle that I am using is between the Snow Performance #2 and #3 either would work well.

Now for your need to remove it for inspection, yes you could do that very easily. The only real modification you would need to make would be a way to thread the spray nozzle into the airflow after the SC output before the throttle body, I would assume you could find the same size plug and just thread it in when you pull the nozzle out. I am not sure how picky they are about the other components as long as the nozzle was not connected I would think everything else could stay?

thx for the info Ryan, that explains alot, sounds like the snow performance unit is the ticket for me, I am not sure on the smog, I would guess if there was just a brass plug there it should be fine. I am sure I could weld a bung in for the methanol port. If smog were to ask I would just tell them it was part of the trd kit as an option for a temp sensor or something. I am not sure if the meth injection is even a problem with smog, I just like to errr on the safe side with this stuff. No fuss, no muss with the CA smog nazis is best.

any issues in using this with an air to air top mount intercooler?

If you are going to want to use a top mount intercooler you would want to plumb the spray nozzle after the intercooler. Meth can be bad for the thin aluminum fins. I don't think you would have any problems spraying before the intercooler, as when you spray you will be under boost and have hot air to evaporate the water vapor and you are using a small nozzle but if you want to be totally safe, spray post intercooler and you will be fine.

I image you will probably have to take the intercooler off for CA smog? If so you could put the nozzle on the outlet of the intercooler and when you pull it, you the nozzle comes out with it.

I wrapped my intake and charge pipe today, people said it probably wouldn't matter but the outside of both pipes would get hot enough it was uncomfortable to leave your hand on them. The charge pipe especially. I bought this new wrap that is supposedly lava rocks and titanium, lol, I had to buy 100' of it but I double wrapped the intake and single wrapped the charge pipe and still have 30+' left over. It's a lot easier to work with than the old fiberglass wrap that you had to get wet and that left glass fibers stuck in your hands, but this stuff is sensitive to snags and runs like pantyhose lol. Anyways I have 30+' of it and can't think of a use for it. If anyone wants it, it's yours for the ride.

1413758270980.jpg

Last edited:
If there is one thing I hate more than anything when dealing with cars it is wiring. I would gladly pay for people that actually did a good job. But you seem to get more half assed wiring jobs than any other aspect of automotive work. Take this sweet fusible link setup for example.
1414249760694.jpg

Or this nice pump wiring job. Smdh!
1414249812954.jpg

^I HATE s***ting wiring jobs. I'm no expert but I appreciate quality so Ive learned to get good with it.

Swapped out the EFI relay even though the old one looked brand new. It will be a spare for the tool bag. Funny when you buy parts from Beno and then forget what you bought and where they are. Lol

1414253230661.jpg

Either someone beat me to this, which I doubt given the fact they didn't even change the coolant or these parts are in outstanding condition for almost 18-19 years old. Coil assembly looks great and will be another spare.

1414254186500.jpg

1414254203778.jpg

Why don't more of the 1/1.5/2jz crowd go 1fz? They're all obsessed with higher rpm or the ability to use VVti?

No it is mostly just the physical size of the 1FZFE. With the 8 quart capacity oil pan, long stoke and overhead cam design the motor is too tall to fit in the cars.

There have been a couple people that have tried. MS75 on here has one in an Australian Drag Car that makes over 1500hp and should run 8 second quarter miles. There was also a supra that was 4 wheel drive and had the 1FZFE in it, but I am not sure it was ever finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom