FZJ80 rear axle upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice job,might as well grab a 80 front as well and the brackets,steer box etc and dump them leaves up front......
Just a thought :))))

^ 8" front diff though

I second this !!!
Im surprised more people dont go this route....
The E-brake cable on the 80's axle is just a bit longer, but it is a direct bolt in to the 60 series.
X2. best upgrade on my pig...I even narrowed it 3.125" to keep track, SUA, disks, ebrake, locker, all at once. If I could do it again, I would not have narrowed it...and I would have left the coil buckets alone...HTH

Just to clarify, It's actually an intercooled 1HD-T running 20psi of boost ;)

The rear axle gives a 2" increase in track width per side

After I posted, I thought it might also be a 1HDT. Those 1H engines all look alike. ;)

2", cool. Thanks.

Tor .. would you care expand more about what you did for the front brakes...?

that would be a nice upgrade in my case to stop Tencha 40"

and on a separate note .. I would like to do this .. but I would do along with rear 4link for sure..

For those who have done the rear 80 swap with e brake,does the e brake function as good as the drum e brake? Am considering to go this way,thanks.
My experience was that it was better than the previous.

Tapage

2003 tundra calipers
2003 tundra rotors
2003 tundra pads
86-95 4-runner/truck hub housing
turn the housing outside diameter down to fit the tundra brake rotors over them
new wheel bearings

And that's it .. I mean like bolt on .?

You gotta do a write up about this .. !!! ( plenty pics please for us with limited fab / wrench skills .. )

it may be defined somewhere and asked a 1000 times but here goes. Are there any common parts between a rear axle assembly from a 86 FJ60 us market FJ60 and a 96-97 US Market Full Float FJ80 rear axle assembly. Ring Gear, third..etc? Just wondering if I were to swap as this thread supports....do I have to start from zero with building the FJ80 axle. Yes I'm running 4.88 in the 60 at present and it has a powertrax no slip locker....just wondering where I might could save a little $$ if I were to execute this swap, or I might be just better served to totally just build the 80 housing all the way from zero...and I would probably go with an ARB locker in the rear too... comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom