New Seat Belts for my 84 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You're welcome, CCRider - Glad it helped.

Which side did you replaced Spike?i figure it was the driver side since it is used everytime.I just might do this too since i could feel the driver side seat belt seem to jam when it retracts.Did you check if OEM is still available?:)

my seat belts need some TLC, my release button just broke and now i have to use my keys to press the belt undone!
I was thinking of going your route but wanted the oem, so i bought used ones from a part out for cheap (so i can continue to use mine) and are sending them to SSnake Oil

I will post up on here when i get a quote back.

Look forward to hearing your experience with seat belt restoration/rebuild, ProwlerDriver.

BTW, for some reason the SSnake Oil link isn't working for me. Googling around, it looks like they are here:

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

Did this mod today. So nice to have a working seatbelt. I had to do the same as Spike because my LC is 85'. Took about an hour. Hardest part is cutting of old bracket and buckle mounting hardware and drilling larger holes. I love the look and may do the passenger side soon. Only question I have is about the wires to the old buckle. The alarm or buzzer or whatever it does hasn't worked for a while and I think wires were broken off anyway. Hope I don't need it!

You won't.

You won't.

Thanks. Did you do both belts? I'd like to do passenger just out of OCD sakes and wanting new belts on both sides. Passenger works still so I don't want to destroy it for the brackets and may look around for a non working one to steal brackets from. I figured I could sell the working passenger to someone who needs it.

Only did the driver's. It's a trail rig so I'm not worried about looking good. Someday I will do the pass as function of the new belt is much smoother.

Will these 3 point belts work for install in the rear of a 60?

Anybody know if his aftermarket brand of seat belt will work for a 3 point shoulder belt on the read seat?

Needed new belts so I came up with this.
Belts from SeltBeltsPlus.com

1st picture White arrow is OEM braket mounted on new belt after cutting off tab on top, see old belt... Red shows what part of old I used cut off blade to remove from old belt so I could use OEM screws...blue shows where I changed angle of old mount to a true 90 so belt would clear the door frame

I'm having trouble getting the OEM screws to attach to the OEM bracket and the new belt mechanism. I bought new belts from seatbeltplanet, and unlike the OEM mechanism, there is not threads for the OEM screws. Did you perchance use a nut on the back of those screws?

Hey Guys,

This thread and a few others seem helpful for 60 owners, but has anyone with a 62 tried this? I have a 1989 62 and bought some replacement belts from seatbeltsplus.com for the rear, without looking at the stock mounts...

Ive attached 2 pictures of the stock and new mounts, and as you can see the stock mounts have a 2 bolt extensions piece. Has anyone figured out how to mount new aftermarket belts?? HELP PLEASE

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

Drill those divots on the OEM retractor and swap to the new one.

Or, build a bracket to bolt them to the quarter panel.

You may be also able to return the retractor and have seatbelt planet re-web the OEM retractor. I went this route when adding rear shoulder retractors to my 83 FJ60

Hey Guys,

Figured I'd share my solution for fitting the universal rear seatbelts into the FJ62. I followed @NookShneer advice and drilled out the divots on the stock bracket, and then drilled a new larger whole for the new bolt (had barely enough room).

The new seatbelt just barely fit, and then had to saw off the excess bolt so the plastic cover could fit over top.

IMG_2202.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

Hey Guys,

Figured I'd share my solution for fitting the universal rear seatbelts into the FJ62. I followed @NookShneer advice and drilled out the divots on the stock bracket, and then drilled a new larger whole for the new bolt (had barely enough room).

The new seatbelt just barely fit, and then had to saw off the excess bolt so the plastic cover could fit over top.

View attachment 1642217

View attachment 1642218

View attachment 1642219

View attachment 1642220

Nice! If you flip the bolt around will you get better clearance on the cover? Might add a fat washer to spread out the force since you have (looks like 4-5 mm) only a little metal before the rivet holes?

The reality is that the top anchor point is taking much more force than the bottom but still, would be nice to not ever think about it again.

View attachment 535226

1st picture White arrow is OEM braket mounted on new belt after cutting off tab on top, see old belt... Red shows what part of old I used cut off blade to remove from old belt so I could use OEM screws...blue shows where I changed angle of old mount to a true 90 so belt would clear the door frame

View attachment 535227

2nd picture shows the braket I got from site to mount to bottom of belt to floor
3rd shows pin I ground off to use OEM braket on the short section of belt that has the releasr button. I will have more pictures if I can figure out how to upload more then 3 and BTW they work great and fit perfect. Now I will build up some covers to replace my old cracked ones to cover the lower belt on door frame, dont know if I with texture them or cover with something. Going to make some molds to make them out of filberglass so it it works might sell some here if people need any? :cheers:
View attachment 535228View attachment 535229View attachment 535230

Thanks for the posting. Ordered my belts and the arrived yesterday. Eager to start I stripped out the passenger side and when looking at mounting the OEM bracket to the spool. Mind you, I have an 84, the bracket and belts are identical, the 2 star-nut bolts do not have anything to tighten into, sizing is wrong. Did you have to put in different sizes or modify it any which way?

Thanks!

I hope they have included the longer floor mount for the latch side in the kit now. After I installed mine I stopped by SeatBelt Planet and they were very interested in the install process. We found the exact length bracket and confirmed it would be much easier than removing them from the stock piece.
Mike and his crew really do a good job with all of their products and are happy to take care of us the customers. Kinda rare these days.

I hope they have included the longer floor mount for the latch side in the kit now. After I installed mine I stopped by SeatBelt Planet and they were very interested in the install process. We found the exact length bracket and confirmed it would be much easier than removing them from the stock piece.
Mike and his crew really do a good job with all of their products and are happy to take care of us the customers. Kinda rare these days.

I have been working Justin over at Seatbeltplanet.com and I second that. Great guys with a true interest in their customers! Highly recommend.

View attachment 535226

View attachment 535227

2nd picture shows the braket I got from site to mount to bottom of belt to floor
3rd shows pin I ground off to use OEM braket on the short section of belt that has the releasr button. I will have more pictures if I can figure out how to upload more then 3 and BTW they work great and fit perfect. Now I will build up some covers to replace my old cracked ones to cover the lower belt on door frame, dont know if I with texture them or cover with something. Going to make some molds to make them out of filberglass so it it works might sell some here if people need any? :cheers:
View attachment 535228View attachment 535229View attachment 535230

Hi!

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but I'm trying to get a fix on how you mounted the dog leg bracket to the front seatbelt cylinder. The bolts you used, in the original seat belt, tighten into a threaded hole in the OEM cylinder. The new cylinder has no such threaded hole (as far as I'm aware).

I have all of my seatbelts off to Safety Restore for new retractor mechanisms and rewebbing.

One thing I haven't found yet on partsouq or in the forum is if we can buy replacement OEM bolts for our seatbelts.

I read they are

M11 x 1.25​

But, does anyone know the part number for them? Since this is such an odd size, I don't think my local Ace Hardware, Lowes' or Home Depot will likely carry this.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom