63 fj45 (australia) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well catscinner you asked for it; so lets talk 62. first time this old treasure has graced the pages of mud i think. perhaps someone can rename this thread early aussie 45s. pics.

001.JPG

002.JPG

008.JPG

funky glass etching with 61 and fj25 marked on it. never seen this elsewhere. later glass ive seen marked 63 drops the fj25 bit.

013.JPG

unusual front indicators, double sided with both sides held in with 3 screws unlike our american cousins who seem to have the type where the entire lens screws in. there seems to be a piece of rubber positioned between the rear lens and the globe whiould render the rear lens useless.

015.JPG

a view of that rubber from through the front lens, dodgy transfer housing (worse than it looks here), less than perfect bellhousing.

016.JPG 028.JPG 050.JPG

My envy grows for you with every new photo west me old ;)

Nice truck. And rare too. Fix him up and sell him back to Mr. Toyoda for a good coupla hundred thou.

yea is a very nice thing; shame about the chassis. this was the first old toyota i collected about 10 yr ago. it came from the station next door. about 7 years ago we bought that station and i have found a little more of it since; interior mirror was in a shed cupboard, orig carb was laying out in the weather down the tip and both centre diff axles have surfaced also. ive got most of the unobtainium i think. a mudder has an early transfer housing in minnesota. i was all set to go berserk on this but the old trans had me snookered at the time. its prob good i never got too far i was possibly young and stupid then (as opposed to middle aged and stupid now). then project patina arrived, then project stablemate, then project shorty and etc. it is pretty much as i found it but what i did do was label and pull all the wiring remnants (much of it sun perished) and undo the cab ready for a cab off. cab is only sitting there at present. perhaps this is my next one? mostly what i need is some decent shed space i can dedicate to this long term because it will take me a few years to do it how i want and at the moment i live in the middle of an endless project shuffle.

plans are a cab off as close to stock as i can get it. blast and repair this chassis properly. refurb all the mechanicals. basically get a good painted rolling driveline then put the unpainted cab onto it with fresh trimmed seats. if i change my mind, or another generation feels so inclined, cab can always come off for paint later but reckon i want to see how all that looks first. not so much a rat rod as a rat restore. thats my current plan anyway.

about a year ago i bought this old 64 from a coastal scrap yard for $250. chassis is completely rotten and was missing doors, carby, steer wheel and radiator. but it does have lots of niceness; f motor that cranks on the starter, lovely unmolested wiring harness complete with generator and regulator, hand primer fuel pump, seats and etc. this is my intended donor to reassemble the 62.

041.JPG 042.JPG 044.JPG

will also add that my enthusiasm for rusty project shorty stems in part from having this sitting on the backburner. basically it is good practice; i can learn a lot about this old stuff while tinkering with something much less significant (well perhaps much more rusty sounds better). shorty is a nice thing too just very far gone. it is also why i want to completely rebuild the gearbox in shorty. perhaps one day that box may have to find its way into the 62; hoping not but its a possibility.

i wasnt really going to divulge this too much until i was ready to make a start. but catskinner asked for pics; let the cat out of the bag if youll pardon the pun haha!

Nice find WA and looking forward to seeing this old tojo resurrected. The old ute tub has a trailer type frame under it. I had to pick up a excavator from his neighbor and asked about the old trailer but its been used for running feed around the guys property for a few generations.

ok....this thread got a little distracted with 62 talk.... but back to the 63 where it started.

found the time over the last couple days to go and retrieve this old gem. was heading north and manage to tie this in with an unrelated mission. there been a bit of rain in those parts and things were a bit wetter than we anticipated but we splashed our way in and out without incident.

20150303_135637.jpg
20150304_095146.jpg

and posing 20150305_114642.JPG 20150305_114746.JPG 20150305_115103.JPG

same old west aus built tray.

this old tojo is simply delightful. it is original an unmolested in every way. it came without wheels or wheel nuts and no tools at all. someeone has taken the drivers door pins. is missing a bugcatcher glass, some of the window winder mechanism and part of the column indicator assembly. and has some other issues; in order of annoyance
- some non typical (but fixable) chassis rust
- that large dent at the rear of the cab and roof (pictured before)
- seized (original 63) motor
- a dreadful noise when towed; presumably a diff or the box.

a couple spare boxes (less transfer) on the back and diff remnants in the cab may be a clue

20150305_114757.JPG 20150305_114806.JPG

i will state once again that this old tojo doesnt belong to me but has come to live in my stable for obvious reasons; and will prob never leave. immediate plans (within a few weeks) are only to pull the seats and fueltank to clean and dry out this cab, refit the door and start gather up all the other missing oddments and stack them in the cab. pull the plugs (look for clues in here) and put a bit of diesel down the bores. and then find some shed space for this gem because it can live in the weather no longer. just pure preservation is all for now.

later will be head off then wherever that leads me but i am determined to finish project rusty before i get another old tojo in bits.

if anyone wants any reference photos, esp in the engine bay, please ask because this thing is stock as. watch this space.

You got a closeup of the circular driver mirror? It looks similar to early fender mirrors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom