Hitting the UAE desert (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started with this
20141015_142131.jpg

Coming along nicely
20141015_164050.jpg

When everything goes so smoothly you know it's going to be bad. Stripped part of the thread on the bolt. Going to have to wait until tonorrow to get a new bolt and sort out the thread in the frame

i hate to hear that. how you like your ST MAXX'S?

i hate to hear that. how you like your ST MAXX'S?
No complaints so far. A little bit less stability in cornering but expected from a narrower tire, slight humming on road much less than the unevenly worn mastercrafts i had. They've been pretty decent so far in the desert

thank you for the feed back. I'm pretty sure these are the tires I'm getting. Just wanted some real world feed back.

sorry to jack your thread - would you buy them again or recommend them? as a worthy tire
i have a different size in mind
thanks

sorry to jack your thread - would you buy them again or recommend them? as a worthy tire
thanks
The cooper should be of higher quality than the mastercrafts. Honestly i haven't even put those many miles on them yet i want to rotate them every 5k kms to avoid uneven wear as much as possible. So far they seem like a good tire hopefully in some time can get more in depth. I'm sure you'll be happy with them. My only issue is my 200 is a DD and with lots of highway miles the lugs wear out and the tire doesn't look so chunky.

This spacer had to be ground down to 15mm to get the diff and frame parallel to each other
20141016_141755.jpg

The center spacer was not used as it wasn't needed for the TJM skidplate
20141016_141744.jpg

Bash guard on the left hand side that covers the spacer had clearance issues with the diff forgot to take a pic after grinding it down (note is written in the install instructions). I noticed a slight vibration just did 20kms in it will recheck later on. I'm sure the vibration was there from before and it's just my senses are heightened. Also since the 200 slept on the lift i borrowed a BMW 5er for half the day and I'm sure the difference in comfort levels had a role in playing with my head making me worry on every vibration and sound.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why you needed to do the extra grinding work. Some of the guys who have installed them, haven't had issues.

Did you measure CV angles, before and after? Also, which bolt did you strip? Need a new one? You can probably find the metric bolts there easily.

The 14x80 stud stripped. But just barely on the first 2 threads could've been repaired but went out and got an extra 2. It stripped as with all the leverage and moving around the 18mm spacer was too big to get the bolt tgrough the hole straight. We aligned everything up and all bolted excluding the spacer/bolt and the gap was at 15mm so we shaved off 2-3mm and all went in smoothly. I'm not sure if there's a difference with non kdss cruisers. I completely forget to check the angles as i rushee through this at the start (why the bolt stripped) but I'll get a reading of how they sit now and check with the bedouins 200 and see the difference.

Took the 200 by the mountains for a change of scenery.
IMG_7588.JPG
IMG_7590.JPG
IMG_7591.JPG
IMG_7592.JPG
IMG_7595.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_7626.JPG

Went through dried "wadis" (these areas flood during the rainy season and form rivers)
IMG_7631.JPG
IMG_7632.JPG
IMG_7636.JPG
IMG_7637.JPG

Last edited:
This last set wraps up the trip, I have a scrap yard pickup trailer project nearing completion I'll probably get it down here to give it a good shake down. Will post up pictures of the trailer once it's ready (currently in paint and needs wiring up).
IMG_7640.JPG
IMG_7641.JPG
IMG_7642.JPG
IMG_7651.JPG
IMG_7656.JPG

Last edited:
If you make it to Ras Al Khamiah - When you are here in the UAE let me know, and you are welcome to take a tour of our armored car factory where we are usually armoring 60-80 TLC's a month.

Your personal views on the TLC would be insightful based on your armored car factory business. Mine sharing on this thread or starting a new one?

thanks
After this last trip I'm in love with these coopers, Performance and handling was superb.
Coopers.jpg

ha - glad to hear that. You have some really nice looking terrain (and photos) there to go and play in.
thanks for the reply - have a great weekend

A sneak peek of the trailer. Tailgate, fuel filler door and rails getting painted today while the trailer's tail + side lights are getting wired up. Pickup tub cost >$200 from the scrap heap
20141025_113103.jpg

Trailer is finally done once i have a bedliner sprayed in this thing will get a few add ons (battery, fridge, grill etc.)
20141026_205842.jpg
20141026_205905.jpg

This is what it was 3 months ago
20140828_162316.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom