Long Range Tank For 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It would help sell tanks if they actually fit. A larger tank is on my list but I'm not going to spend that much until the jig is improved.

Well, I think we need to,start a thread to see who out there in the mud community is serious in putting their money where their mouth is on this buy. Let's get the word out there. Someone who has more clout with the members may want to start it purchase thread.
You can count me in for one. So we need 4 more.

I would be in for the 190 ltr rear tank for the 60 from these guys. http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=25
I've been in touch with them before. They build complete kit. It fits and no need to run around looking for more little bits
for install. Like I said before, they were going to airfreight it to my address on Vancouver Island for $1700.
So maybe MAF would bring 5 over for cheaper shipping.
Count me in for one. So we need 3 more.

If we get more interest I will try to see if MAF will help us out. I'd like to have mine in the spring, so I can install it next summer.
Any others??

I bought two of the last that were on his discontinued page . I see someone had a fitment issue. I didn't find this an issue on either truck, both were FJ60's. I've installed four, the first one was in mine and was of Australian production. When the cost got too high to bear from Australia Al had the tank knocked off here but added provisions to accept the FJ62 fuel pump so one tank could be used for either application. He also added more baffling and a better trap around the pickup tube. Once all the factory stuff was removed the tank went in quite easy. About two hours
with a bad back
The Tank would come with both FJ60 and 62 fittings. That means for those doing injected V-8 conversions there's a provision for the in tank pump built in.
I talked to Al last night. He said he would build five at a time if the orders were there, The cost is 995.00 ea.

I bought two of the last that were on his discontinued page . I see someone had a fitment issue. I didn't find this an issue on either truck, both were FJ60's. I've installed four, the first one was in mine and was of Australian production. When the cost got too high to bear from Australia Al had the tank knocked off here but added provisions to accept the FJ62 fuel pump so one tank could be used for either application. He also added more baffling and a better trap around the pickup tube. Once all the factory stuff was removed the tank went in quite easy. About two hours
with a bad back
The Tank would come with both FJ60 and 62 fittings. That means for those doing injected V-8 conversions there's a provision for the in tank pump built in.
I talked to Al last night. He said he would build five at a time if the orders were there, The cost is 995.00 ea.

So you have experience with both the MAF and the Australian tank?
I went with some fairly negative comments that I had read on this forum in the past (3-4 yrs ago) which is why I was looking elsewhere. If you have positive experience with Al and they are a good fit, then I'm in. How big is the volume of Al's tank? I really like the 190 litre size. It effectively doubles my range. But the $995 price is good

It would help sell tanks if they actually fit. A larger tank is on my list but I'm not going to spend that much until the jig is improved.

What was the fitment issue on yours? Was your truck a 62 series.? I haven't installed one on a 62 yet but I have installed four on FJ60s,
one was the original Long Range from Australia, the last three were made in California by Man-a-fre's tank builder. I didn't have any issues on my installs.
The last two were this year, I assume from the same lot.
If there is a fitment issue on the 62 it would be best corrected before ordering them up

I have the laziest way to use my gas cans...I swing the carrier arm open. From there I can fill the tank off the gerry cans with a shaker syphon . No lifting cans required
Good idea on the spout carrier....
you know...... you could make that a 3 can basket....

n mount a spout carrier under that basket made out of abs pipe..
attachment.php

For me all four went in easily. The last two didn't include one hose, the venturi hose on the filler neck. I think you were expected to re use
the stock one but I felt it was a tad short so I bought a foot of new hose and replaced it. Other than that everything else was good.
If my math is right the 190 liter is 47ish gallons? The Man-a-fre is about 39 gallons.. You really can't go any more forward, back, or side to side
so I can't see where they put the extra 8 gallon unless it just drops a little lower. Right now I have the 39 plus I can carry single gerry can on the arm
I have. That's over 500 miles for me if a third of it is off road. Over 600 highway miles

So you have experience with both the MAF and the Australian tank?
I went with some fairly negative comments that I had read on this forum in the past (3-4 yrs ago) which is why I was looking elsewhere. If you have positive experience with Al and they are a good fit, then I'm in. How big is the volume of Al's tank? I really like the 190 litre size. It effectively doubles my range. But the $995 price is good

What was the fitment issue on yours? Was your truck a 62 series.? I haven't installed one on a 62 yet but I have installed four on FJ60s,
one was the original Long Range from Australia, the last three were made in California by Man-a-fre's tank builder. I didn't have any issues on my installs.
The last two were this year, I assume from the same lot.
If there is a fitment issue on the 62 it would be best corrected before ordering them up

LCWizard, I was referencing posts #87 and #88 of this thread. Spike Strip usually has very good information. I haven't read any of Dazed's threads. I recall reading similar posts on other threads as well but cannot source them (possibly I've reread this thread numerous times over the years and only think there are others, or the same two Mudders may have shared their views on multiple threads). Hopefully Spike and Dazed will share their experience with you and help improve MAF's product. We all want well built, quality products.

To me, its very reassuring that you haven't had any fit problems on the four that you've installed.

I personally haven't installed one of MAF's tanks. The poor fitment reputation is the main reason why. I've been contemplating building a wooden mock up and have a local tank fabricator build to the pattern. I would much rather buy a tank that has been tested and used and improved over the years like MAF's, even if it was a bit more expensive. I'm expecting to put a new tank into an '88 FJ-62, probably with a different power plant.

I know dazed as a customer and I know Spike is a reputable source of info as is dazed. I'm hoping their experiences were not the norm. Al has gone through at least three tank builders in the last 15 years. They go in and out of business. I'd like to relay the fitment issue to him so he can be cautionary of it in the event he builds more. If I could let him know what to watch for, that would help

I would be interested in getting a 39 gal tank,if it were a direct fit with all the accessories included. As I have an 89-62'series,with v8 conversion and would not want to deal with any fitment issues.Thanks for the info,cheers.

I will be calling Al as well. Putting my rig together.... might as well do the tank!

Tried calling MAF...recording says send email because they are relocating. Anyone have a direct line to Al? Thx

Last edited:
Hi I have a 1985 Fj60, installed a 42 gallon tank for a 92-97 chevy suburban had a drain and intake moved it cost less then $155.00 on ebay

Well now..I would suggest some pictures and a description of how this was done. I am intrigued.

Hi I have a 1985 Fj60, installed a 42 gallon tank for a 92-97 chevy suburban had a drain and intake moved it cost less then $155.00 on ebay

I've always wondered about a suburban fuel tank or a GM van tank (which may be the same thing), which sit at the rear between the frame rails on the GM truck, vs the standard pickup tank that generally runs along the inside of the driver side frame rail on the pickups.

One version of the GM 3500 chasis cab that has dual fuel tanks... the rear fuel tank sits there between the frame rails as I recall from pursing the the deal lot and just checking stuff out.

Yes where are the magic details on mounting the tanks and necessary modifications. Pictures and details on this?

I'd really like to see this as well. This sounds like a great alternative.

I'm interested in a solution as well, and am willing to commit to a down payment of that's what is needed. I have a 90 62 and would really benefit from a larger tank. I'll check back regularly and please feel free to contact me with options as well.

Sent from my iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom