1HD-T 93FZJ(professionally converted)…What's the market value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's just something special about a 1HD-T 80 series, hard to put a value on that.

I can put a value on it:

In the past the $22k diesel 80s were roughly a $15k premium over gas versions.

In the recent past $15-18k diesel 80s were roughly a $7-11k premium over gas versions.

What must be nice is having the extra nickels and dimes to pay that kind of a premium for "just something special".......unfortunately I don't :meh:

That's just cheeky Big Boy...:slap:

There is zero market for a hdt with close to 300 km up in canada, even with dual steering. anything ive bought over 250,000 km ends up being a parts rig, with the motor package going south.

this one is same mileage "asking" $14k. Probably will go for $12k. So Doug -I'm guessing I actually do know the market for them......

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1990-hdj81-north-vancouver-189-000kms.822040/

Um..Bugs, I'm not going to change your mind, nor try to sell you this rig. It's obvious you are not a fan, but the only RT hand drives I see in the states are postal carriers. I don't know how many americans would feel comfortable driving from the passenger seat…I know I wouldn't. My cruiser is a quality left hand drive conversion by Sheldon(70sguy) who has, I'm guessing, forgotten more about diesel engines than you and I will ever know. It was checked out by Torfab less than a year ago, and he gave it the thumbs up. It's not a part out, or close to it. It's registered legally stateside, and why you keep comparing it to the Canadian market, I can't figure out. I'm not in Canada and will not sell it in Canada. It's a rare breed high quality vehicle in the the states, for now, and that's what gives it it's appeal and it's value. Cuban cigars are pennies on the dollar in Havana, but people still pay a premium for them in the US.

Don't hold it against me please if I sell it for more than $12k, nor criticize the buyer. To quote the greatest PSwayz character of all time…"Opinions very", Dalton.

Bugs man, if you were to say to yourself: "hey, let's take the 80 around the world", you'd want a diesel. Here's why:
- more power where you need it - awesome in deep sand and driving up steep roads when your rig weighs 7000+ (full of her nescessities)
- better RANGE. Try driving your FZE a week into nowhere without filling up. And a diesel aux tank will get you a hell of a lot further
- MUCH better fuel economy when driving 3.5 tons over 30k miles
- awesome engine braking, allowing you to actually wheel with 3.5 tons comfortably
- again, engine braking saves your brake components when driving up and down volcanoes for 4 months AND dodging chicken busses AND families on scooters

I think you'd agree. If this needs nothing than it's fairly valued.

Edit: Oh yeah and running WVO for 35 cents a liter when you're back home

Last edited:
Given it's LHD I'd also expect it to sell for close to $20k if it's in good shape.

Is it cheaper to buy a gasser....yup. Is it cool to have a 1HD-T 80 series....Yup. Conclusion, diesel coolness with worth about $13k :D

Jim- I love the rig.....you simply asked what the market was........I simply don't want to sugar coat it and give you the "hopium" $20k+ amount and have it not sell. Then price drop to $18k and not sell and then do the creep down over so much time...........that you will have effectively missed out on 'selling it while you can ' ( before the 1990s become closer to legal for import) and you are now sitting on a "loss" compared to pricing it right now and making a sale. ( if you truly intend to sell).

IMHO. You have a U.S. Legal which is a bargaining chip ( for a short time more). (Worth a few $ more than the one above)
. It's lhd.....a bonus for some.
. It's relatively low mile.......yet another bonus.
. It's green. Not so hot....(and I should know-green sucks. -1000)
. No lockers (-1500).

If you listed it at $16500 Obo.......and drew people in for a look......you might leverage it's cleanliness of install- overall clean lo mileage...u.s.reg.......and most importantly 'realistic pricing'. (Significantly overpriced rigs are a turnoff to most people IMHO). If you had nibbles at anything over $15500.......I'd personally be selling NOW because the longer you wait........the closer this will fall to $12k for all of the reasons i listed:
- insignificant mpg over gas 80
- diesel cost vs gas gap not helping
- insignificant durability difference vs gas
- 25 year rule on 1990s getting closer by the day.

Best of luck with the sale.. No doubt it's a great rig...after all it's a toyota. And you very well could have blown $26k on a flipping chebby or ford like most numb nuts out there and be waaaaaay behind the 8-ball.

I say keep it! Drive it into the ground for the next 15 years ! And your $26k investment will seem mighty cheap when everyone who bought a ford/chevy is on their 3rd tranny and 2cnd vehicle. :flush:

Don't ask a bunch of diesel owners the real market for your rig now.......they all paid a premium for a belief that there's more durability or that the fuel savings will pay for the price premium they paid..........and it's simply not true as gas has now fallen to a price where the fuel cost is simply eating up the diesels efficiency. Take a look at others with similar miles for sale.......price it competitively......and make a sale. I'd personally give it the ebay stab at $18k just to see if you can get someone with deep pockets and not much sense.......worth a shot for a week or two........but I wouldn't waste too much time.

Last edited:
I see a handfuls of these 300k+ MILES ers weekly on Craig's - 1fz ....and for those north of the border that's 579,643 km !

I have 3 friends who have had 5 vehicles all over 550,000km and have barely done much to other than change oil and plugs wires / rad./hoses. Many on orig axle seals and orig rad. at over 320,ooo km.

I would love to see stats on how many 1hdt s have 550,000km +

image.jpg

I see a handfuls of these 300k+ MILES ers weekly on Craig's - 1fz ....and for those north of the border that's 579,643 km !

I have 3 friends who have had 5 vehicles all over 550,000km and have barely done much to other than change oil and plugs wires / rad./hoses. Many on orig axle seals and orig rad. at over 320,ooo km.

View attachment 957767
I know of a few 1hdt's with over 500,000ks ...with one at 680,000 & my 1HZT has 500,000 on it also.

Feck.....you're persistent bugs..... WE GET IT...

I know of a few 1hdt's with over 500,000ks ...with one at 680,000 & my 1HZT has 500,000 on it also.

I haven't really followed the aging process of the 1hdt and average lifespan. And frankly the few I see out of the Canadian market don't really constitute a good enough amount to be able to say the 1hdt is a "xxx,xxxx" km engine on average. The other main problem with my argument is that in the U.S. There were millions of these 1fzs sold.......so the fact that I see soooo many come up for sale each week on Craig's with 500,000+ km may be somewhat of an anomaly.

In the end- both the 1fz and 1hdt are tried and true inline 6 designs......so right out of the box- both have an inherent vibration and wear engineering advantage over v- based design. Both were designed my Mr. Toyoda so yet another badge for durability standards.

Boosted80- you would likely have a real good idea on what expected longevity these have and how many you see in aus. for sale with high km's.......and how many you see getting remanned at xxx,xxxx kms.

Last edited:
I can help with some answers if you like. My 1HDT had done 550000k's and I was still doing skids in it. Still hone marks in the bore. I rebuilt the head while it was off and now runs 30psi on the same bottom end.

Petrols are a dime a dozen, no one wants to buy the 4.5 and the wreckers only offer $500. You will be lucky to sell them for $1000 private. They are good engines the FZ (I've had 3). The fzj80 sells for 8-10k on average. The hdj80 sells here in aus for 15-25k. There is a reason for this. They are far far tougher than the FZ, and more reliable.

Makes a lot more torque lower while returning great fuel Eco. This is an advantage offroad aswell as highway. Diesel is way more stable. Water crossings and remote places - you want a diesel. They just keep going... And will get you home.

So if you want to load up your rig with family, camping gear, fill both tanks, and head to some very remote places without having to worry about obstacles you might encounter. Or fuel as farms all use diesels. There is 1 clear choice. It's not "hopium". The people who have actually ever owned a diesel for a period of time know the turn key reliability, and why it's hard to ever go back to a petrol.

But none of this really matters as yours is a different market. And your requirements are different.

View attachment 957767

As a European and spoiled by Toyota diesels I can honestly say that when I moved to the US 3 years ago and bought a FZJ80......I thought it was a joke!
Mpg's where around 14 with a mild lift and 33's,pulling a trailer this dropped to 8 mpg.

Having used many Cruisers with 1HZ/1HDT/1HDT-FTE I can say that the gasser really sucks when you want to make it work.Yes the 1FZ runs smooth but reliable? In the 3 years I live in Texas I have bought 3 1 owner FZJ80's from 94 to 97 all with failed 1FZ motors and under 200K miles,I parted these out for the nice body parts and interiors.I wish I had that luck when I was living in Europe to pick up nice 1 owner hdj80's with low miles for next to nothing!

I guess you never owned a good Toyota Diesel Cruiser and therefore can't really appreciate it.Man I hate to buy a 3/4 domestic diesel truck to pull my trailer with the 40 on but the 1FZ 80 stinks for this.....what you say I should try the FJ80 LOL

BTW all the Cruisers I had in Europe where secondhand and most showed between 200 and 300K kilometers.....but as we all know every time one of these got sold by a second hand dealer the miles got lower so some of them could have had well over 500 k back in the day.

And yes I am a hard core diesel guy,so bad that I just bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel 4 months ago,it has 18000 miles on it and roughly 8000 of them was pulling a trailer with a Cruiser on it and averaging about 20 mpg with loaded trailer ,that is where the diesel really shines especialy in an 80!

Sorry for the highjack in this tread but I just had to vent ;)

Joe

BTW one more thing,this clean rustfree lhd 80 also has a/c.The early lhd 80's that become available for import to the US next year will be 99% NO AC AND CERTAINLY NOT RUSTFREE.I am buying Cruisers for export in Europe all the time and know that only in a few southern European countries there are a few trucks with ac but these countries do not have a strong economy so not much 80 series around there.

I think that this 80 will get close to 25K,80 series are getting higher prices in Europe lately so buy the time you find a nice clean one there,have it shipped over and payd all the expenses you will be over 15K and no a/c and some rust.

Just my 2 cents

Joe

Big boy / JoeK

JoeK- LOL- it took u 3 gas cruisers to realize toyota didn't design it for hauling 12k lbs - LOL ! Next time you buy a rig for towing.....check the towing capacity. It's 5000lbs.

Big boy- I just don't see diesels being significantly MORE durable than the 1fz. Again I see tons of 1fzs come up for sale with 550km+. Did yours go 650km-700km+? To me, if you saw tons of used diesels in your market pulling that kind of durability- then I might concede "more" durability. I just don't see that. I get the water crossing advantage and obviously your market is diesel biased.- but re-read the above posts......... :
- the market HERE is diesel costs 25% more
- the market HERE has oodles of cheap low mile 80s vs $12-15k dollar costlier rare diesels
- used parts/gas engines are uber cheap ($500 vs $8000 replacement Diesel engines)HERE.
- Jim's vehicle is being sold HERE and in the original post.....he wanted to know the market HERE....not aus.

It's going to be a tough sell to get $20k when for $14k Obo....you can get a rhd for $13k in the mud classifieds right now https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1990-hdj81-north-vancouver-189-000kms.822040/ That's the current market. And I don't see people on mud offering a $6k difference for a lhd......not gonna happen......unless you smoke a lot of hopium.

Ebay + "hopium" + a lot of good karma is gonna bring $20k. Maybe Jim is overdue to cash in on his good karma........I hope so. But I'd prefer to be honest in an assessment of market value vs blow smoke up his ass about how much they are getting in Australia and Texas. (Texas is fairly down under......)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom