My misc restoration ramblings/questions thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm gonna send some of these pics to my wife just in case Chip Foose ever Overhauls my 4Runner and he needs some ideas! What a great resto-mod, you restored and improved it, I love the stance and the look with those wheels, just awesome.

BTW, I have the same FROR front bumper and I love it.

I am surprised the dual stage t-stat did not fix the temperature overshoot problem. After I put in the 22repreformance engine, I had the same issue. Never had it before the new engine. I put in the dual stage and the temperature normalized.

I remember it being worse when the heater was on because the outlet from the heater core dumps the coolant right before the thermostat, thus always keeping it closed. As a quick fix I just never ran the heat until the truck has a heat sink on it, then I would use the heater. By doing this, I knew the thermostat was the issue.

Good looking truck...

WOW. I have always had an aversion to red (maroon more so) Toyotas...but I think your truck might be my new favorite Toyota 4x4. Consider this post a virtual "note under your windshield wiper" telling you to let me know if you ever decide to sell it!

Thanks for the kind words. It was a labor of love, that's for sure. I tell people that I will be buried in this truck, I'm never selling.

The t-stat thing is odd, it does it routinely. I have a mini-heart attack every morning when the temp climbs up and I carefully watch it, goes up to 200, pauses, then shoots down to 170 in seconds. It's like the t-stat is "popping" open. I do need to drain the coolant one more time to pull out the TEFBA coolant filter on the top hose and put the regular hose back on, so maybe I'll get a new t-stat.

I really need a new battery, my Optima is 15 years old (no kidding) and I can tell it's not gonna make it through the winter. I had intended to get a new DieHard Platinum, but the price just went up and I doubt they will be putting it on sale soon as lots of batteries are bought now.

The way you're describing the coolant, sure sounds like you have air in the system still. What are you using to bleed the cooling system? Vacuum is my preferred method but http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B001A4EAV0 I also use this guy when I'm in a pinch.

I hear a lot of hate about Optimas now a day but I've never had mine fail me yet, still need to pick up a pair for the current truck. Like you I also got an extended life out of my last redtop (10 years) and it got sold in my last truck.

Photos that I took for the insurance company...

Engine:
Engine.jpg

Interior:
Interior.jpg

LongFront.jpg

KLF anymore photos of the beauty?

The way you're describing the coolant, sure sounds like you have air in the system still. What are you using to bleed the cooling system? Vacuum is my preferred method but http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B001A4EAV0 I also use this guy when I'm in a pinch.

I have one of those funnels, it works great. Used it to fill the coolant, no air left, left it running at a high idle for 15-20 mins with the heat on full blast. I would be VERY surprised if there was any air left in the system now after almost 1000 miles. The level in the reservoir is not moving.

I hear a lot of hate about Optimas now a day but I've never had mine fail me yet, still need to pick up a pair for the current truck. Like you I also got an extended life out of my last redtop (10 years) and it got sold in my last truck.

Obviously mine is the "old school" battery when they were still focused on quality, I'm not taking any gambles on them though.

Last edited:
KLF anymore photos of the beauty?

I have over a thousand photos. A couple more recent ones:

Tailgate.jpg

Front.jpg

Yes, the frame is reinforced, in several places. There is a big 1/4" plate across the front that stiffen the front crossmember and the bumper mounts, it extends down to the front spring hanger. Then there is a bunch of gussets on the back of the hanger. I also plated where the steering box mounts, this is what it looked like after sandblasting:

Stripped4.jpg

The gas tank has been raised ~1-1/4".

Just beautiful! How did you raise the tank?

-Daniel Kent

Consider this post a virtual "note under your windshield wiper" telling you to let me know if you ever decide to sell it!

Speaking of which, this was under my wiper the other day (censored for the mods):

20141026_164253_Android.jpg

Dunno who KB1QGU is, but I guess he saw my plate and antenna...

Just beautiful! How did you raise the tank?

-Daniel Kent

I cut a section out of the rear hanger, welded it back together with some scrap steel for reinforcement. The front is now on top of the horsecollar with some spacers welded in.

Boy that sure is pretty. Very nice work. It's rare to see this level of work on an early minitruck. Are you using collector car insurance?

Sweet looking truck KLF. it all pays off in the end, enjoy your new ride.
Hope you have it as your daily driver.

I do have a "stated value" policy, although they are requesting an appraisal. I talked to a couple of firms today, they want $450-500 to do a full appraisal. Hmmm....

Working on driveability now, tweaking things here and there. Cold idle is very high (~2000 rpm), which from my research seems to be a faulty Idle Air Control Valve on the bottom of the throttle body (I have a later '89 TB and intake installed). Have to pull the TB to check it out.

CRAP.

Now the insurance company (MMG) says they will only go NADA, which is about $2K. That's not gonna cut it. I spent more than that on the paint.

Looking for another company, may have to park it until I find a solution. I can't use a "Collector" policy because it's not old enough, they have annual mileage limits, and it has to be kept in a garage. No daily drivers allowed.

ARGHHHH!!! :bang:

That sucks. I spoke to my ins. Generally about this when I bought the 80 and started working on it.

If you happen to work out something let us know what company so we can use it as a resource.

State Farm is one that many Cruiser guys with expensive trucks have used...stated value w/appraisal.

I've been with State Farm since I started driving in the 70s. They were no help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom