FJ45LPB scratchbuild... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Amazing work!

Thanks!

I've actually got quite a few of your body-off photos loaded into my iPad, along with photos from buckroseau's build, for my reference material.

I can see from the photos that it is "simply" a matter of building up multiple layers of plastic sheet. But the results of your craftsmanship is simply amazing!

I can see from the photos that it is "simply" a matter of building up multiple layers of plastic sheet. But the results of your craftsmanship is simply amazing!

Thanks for the high compliment! Its nice sharing this with fellow cruiserheads.

Here's some progress to date.

A very crude mock up of the parts I have for the cab so far. I'm starting to see an FJ45 cab.
124cab.jpg

And here is an early test fit of the shackles and a single leaf. Just getting a feel for the geometry of the springs.
129leaftest.jpg

Before I can get much further I need the body mounted to the frame so I can start locating components of the chassis. I made some body mounts and...
138fullymounted.jpg

I made a jig/stand out of L-brackets to hold the frame in a fixed location relative to the axles (which will be mounted with their own L-brackets). The idea here is to keep everything in a fixed location relative to each other so I can make the leaf springs sit at the ride height that I want.
139stand.jpg

140stand.jpg

I went ahead and started trying to locate the wheels relative to the body.
141wheeltest.jpg

142wheeltest.jpg

143wheeltest.jpg

I'm getting kinda pumped now... can really see the truck starting to come out.

This is amazing! I can't wait for more pictures and to see the final product!

Thats awsome. Have you seen this site http://www.scale4x4rc.org/home/ it is where I go for Rc scalers, crawler related stuff. Keep up the good work :cheers:

Yes, I have a fully detailed build thread on that forum. Lots more in depth photos of the build over there.

This is amazing! I can't wait for more pictures and to see the final product!

Thanks! Glad you guys are enjoying this.

Here's my latest attempt to make this as scale as possible. I really wanted my rims to approximate the 15" OEM steelies as much as possible. RC4WD makes a billet rim that looks the business, but it scales in at 19" which doesn't look right on my truck.

So, after some work in Solidworks and an order sent in to Shapeways we have the following:

144steelie.jpg

145steelie.jpg

146steelie.jpg

I've got some fine tuning to do, but I'm definitely going to have the right wheels on this truck. =)

Cut, threaded, and bent some 2mm steel stock to make ubolts.

171ubolts.jpg

Now for some spring plates.

172springplates.jpg

And now the axles are u-bolted to the springs.

175fronthung.jpg
176rearhung.jpg

And now she can sit on all fours.

177allfours.jpg
178upskirt.jpg

Good work! How did you cut the threads onto the u bolts?

Good work! How did you cut the threads onto the u bolts?

I used an M2 die to thread the steel stock while it was straight... then I bent it into a u-bolt.

I used an M2 die to thread the steel stock while it was straight... then I bent it into a u-bolt.

Amazing. I didn't even know dies were made that small. Very cool!

This is unreal. I am more impressed by this than the full size restorations! So crazy how you can think in miniature like that!

wow awesome build. I can't build one from scratch but I have not scale RC

It's been awhile since I've updated here... over a year... yikes.

Fenders:
203fender.jpg

Hinges:
206hinges.jpg

207hinges.jpg

This hole was scary to cut:
208hole.jpg

Fuel cap recess:
210fuelrecess.jpg

I've been assembling the various pieces of the cab now. Next step really is getting the hood and roof vacuformed.
Where she stands now:
211mockup.jpg

Not yet… I'm planning to do some work on the chassis this week. Going to try to complete it so that I've got it rolling on it's own. I also need to wrap up my carving of the hood buck for vacuforming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom