1HD-T 93FZJ(professionally converted)…What's the market value? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wouldn't even consider an Fzj80 at this point. I get double the mileage it would. I have the reliability and power of the diesel. I can mod it for more power and still get 18-19mpg and especially the cool factor. Ever since I've been driving diesel Toyota trucks I don't think it makes sense to own a gasser anymore.

@h77im, I don't think you'll have any problems selling it.

first, i know this truck and know Sheldon and the original assembly was top notch.

bugs,
i know both the owner/installer of an early hdt conversion 60 series (1996) and a mechanic (who sometimes posts here) who has done multiple LC diesel conversions since the early 1990s. The reliability of that engine far exceeds a 1FZ if treated equally.

You add a lot of value to lockers, but a front and rear set in constant motion (stock 80) with 250,000 miles- have 250,000 miles on the ring, pinion, bearings and birfields - drivelshafts. Used diffs are EASY to come by so converting a non locked to locked is simple and well under $1K. A new set, or rebuilt set with new gears are a different ballgame and ideally a free hub controlled front axle and newish gear sets could add some value to this or any other 80 series but not the cost to purchase parts and labor ($2,000+)

OP,
maintenance items are just a good sign of ownership but do not add to value- they are expected as are oil changes. I would hope that the timing belt has been done again (6 years, 60,000 MILES spec 100,000klms). Bumper, valve body, lift are used but still have a value added, but the kicker is the hdt transplant that was done and who it was done by. In the US, with US paperwork the lower end of a hdt conversion 80 series is $15,000 with good strong engine. $20,000 would be high end except for the exceptional car. But that being said, paying a shop like TOR, Georg, etc for a swap will be $15,000 in labor (guess) for a drop off turn key plus cost of an engine which in my estimation for a complete running sound hdt to be $7,500 with the engine EPA importation issues today.

Driving a gasser will always be cheaper, but your time to source the $700 engine and your time to swap it out have costs.

....and my diesel wont kill you in an underground mine.

So let's say durability is a wash.....

Why would you pay even $15k for an unlocked 1hdt - when you can get a locked 1fz for $7k ? An extra $7k buys buys a lot of gas and mods.

Popped head just out of curiosity and was sliding a low mi. $700 engine in for the next 330k miles. Try finding a lo mi. 1hdt for $700........

Hopium is a wonderful drug.....

Well, why stop at the diesel 80's..... Do you know that a clean 2003 70 series with a 1HZ with 100K kms is selling for pretty damned near the same price as the brand new v6 gasser 70 series just introduced last month. Go try to wrap your head around that one...

Rick- I don't know what you are smoking.......but no engine I've heard of exceeds the 1fz longevity with oodles of em getting 500k+ km. I know of tons of local ones that have 300k+ kms and have never done anything but plugs. Orig axles- orig rad, fan clutch, starter,alternator. So to say that your avg 1hdt will even get to 530k km......and "far exceed" that is farcical.

On my last trip 1000+ mi. - my 1fz averaged 18.3mpg (37s and 4.88s).

A 1hdt gets "maybe 3-4mpg" better?

Local gas today was $3.09.........diesel was $4.03.

The main point is: assuming longevity and cost per mpg are similar...........one is $18k....while the other can be had for $7k.(with the same miles)

I can go buy two 1fz-80s which will together easily get 1,ooo,ooo km for the cost of your avg 1hdt 80 which would be lucky to reach 6oo,ooo km..........and still have $4000 bucks in my pocket for gas.

Well, why stop at the diesel 80's..... Do you know that a clean 2003 70 series with a 1HZ with 100K kms is selling for pretty damned near the same price as the brand new v6 gasser 70 series just introduced last month. Go try to wrap your head around that one...

Well original post was wondering the value of his diesel 80. At the end of the day it's a hard sell at $15k for a diesel when the alternative for the same vehicle, same longevity,same fuel costs...........to opt for the $15k dollar diesel one vs the $7k gas one. Comparing apple to apple.....

Prius or 70 series comparisons are not apple to apple alternatives quite frankly. A diesel and gas 80 with current fuel costs is severely impacting the diesels "perceived value" IMHO and what you are seeing in the market reflects that. For every ebay 1hdt 80 that gets $18k+........I see dozens NOT selling on Craig's/Kiiji etc for $13-14k.

Last edited:
Argh...!!

So let's say durability is a wash.....

Why would you pay even $15k for an unlocked 1hdt - when you can get a locked 1fz for $7k ?

Desire and ability. Same reason people buy $400 drivers or $5k watches. You can get so-called "better" for less, but so can everybody else. I could have bought a brand new Cruiser, or any number of quality 1fzs on the market at the time, or stuck with my V8 4runner. But I bought this one, and maybe I overpaid for it, and will not get a good return on my investment, and that's ok. I smiled when I bought it, and it still turns heads and starts conversations with interested on-lookers. Maybe the next guy will overpay, or get a screaming deal on my rig…that's up to him/her to decide. I'm glad you enjoy your ride, and I hope you get many more miles out of it.

ya you were smart to register it in the usa prior to pre posting a for sale add. you be extra smart to let it go before long due to the actual availibilaty of hdj rigs for export right or left hand drive now. i know your rig and frankly that conversion is top knotch forsure. might want to add the builder in your title. plus i thought that had the wholesale extreme converter. are you only running lockup in 3-4. i think the next rig i sell i will follow your lead for exposure .

if fuel is your only motivation for a conversion it does not play out for decade(s).

bugs,
the simplicity of the diesel engine is the key. You missed that in lecture class.

I will say one thing, you need ONE WIRE (12 or 24 v) to run the engine and TO STOP IT.

best of luck with a gas engine.

tell me, is the 1FZ in any form still produced? The 1HZ (which is an HDT block and still a diesel) is still made new today. 24 year run of production going on 25 years in a couple months.

...off to smoke super crack.

Again rick- Applauding another engine- 1hz- is off topic. O.P. Was talking about putting a valuation on his 80 which is a 1 hdt.......not a 1hz.

When the OP asked about value.....a simple look at the market means what comparable alternatives are selling for. Unfortunately for diesel owners- the days of fuel at 50% less cost than gas......coupled with a diesel making 25% better mpg has been drastically turned upside down. The cheaper diesel-better mpg equation is looooong gone. The new equation is cheaper rig= more $ in pocket for expensive fuel- diesel or gas. my last low mile 80 cost me $600+$179 for a pic n pull axle.......so when compared to the alternative of purchasing a $15k 1hdt 80......$14,ooo cash in my pocket will buy 5-7 years of gas. For those that want the novelty of a diesel 80- more power to em.

Unfortunately gas and diesel prices have made it just plain expensive to run our beloved cruisers. My answer is finding low mile and cheap versions of either and applying the savings toward years of fuel costs. gas versions are where the great deals are and this is why diesels tend to find less of a premium price in the market these days.

1hz is a 12 valve engine.
1hdt is a 12 valve engine.

they share the same block, they share the same valves and adjustment shims, same gaskets, vacuum pump, bellhousing mounts, starter, heater hoses.....and you can get it all in the US.
eat me.

as I said fuel price payout is not there. take it off the table.

OP, you have a well converted left hand drive hdj80 which looks like it had been well kept for a car its age. For someone to pay another party to convert an 80 it will cost north of $15,000 (unless a vendor/shop owner will chime in). Best of luck with the sale. sorry to drop turds in your requesting thread.

OP, you have a well converted left hand drive hdj80 which looks like it had been well kept for a car its age. For someone to pay another party to convert an 80 it will cost north of $15,000 (unless a vendor/shop owner will chime in). Best of luck with the sale. sorry to drop turds in your requesting thread.

Thanks! It's been informative and surprisingly entertaining.

Find me a 1hz or 1hdt based 80series with 150k miles for $600 ........and I'm all in. I would be first to hop on the diesel bandwagon. Nothing against the rugged oil burners at all.

Rick I get it- diesel owners have had their s*** handed to them with the price of diesel basically rendering cost of ownership thru the roof. I'd be pissed too.

If we go back and look at all the mud threads of people who bought into the " fuel savings with cheap diesel will pay for my expensive conversion costs in 7-8 years" concept..........it's a shame diesel isn't really paying off for them.

Good news is that you can still go out and get $13-15k for what amounts to a novelty item and go reduce your overall cost of ownership by 50% and have yourself a rugged gas 80 series. Or you can hold onto the trusty novelty item - drop an extra $20 at the pump on every fill- and be happy as a clam with your trusty 1hdt. 1hz.

On my last trip 1000+ mi. - my 1fz averaged 18.3mpg (37s and 4.88s).

Not trying to continue the derailment of this thread, but this is amazing. I think most get 10-12 mpg in a gas 80 best case 15 mpg for me, but mine is an old-tired 237K (miles) all original (read poorly maintained) unit. If I could hopeium to get 18 mpg I wouldn't dream about the better range of a diesel. 260 miles per tank vs. 440 miles per tank of a 20 mpg vehicle, (fuel prices aside) sounds great.

Good luck with the sale. Weighing this against a the purchase of a slightly used VW tdi Sportwagen, which run about $20k, I'd much rather have this...

Dan

You know Douglas... I do fully get what he is saying and he isn't wrong by any means..... but ya, every time I fire up my truck it's like "Oh ya baby". I've gotten too old to nickel and dime that satisfaction away.

There's just something special about a 1HD-T 80 series, hard to put a value on that.

You know Douglas... I do fully get what he is saying and he isn't wrong by any means..... but ya, every time I fire up my truck it's like "Oh ya baby". I've gotten too old to nickel and dime that satisfaction away.

I say the same thing when I start the quiet 1fz and throw on my "sound of idling diesel" tape ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom