Early H41 Transmission and alignment ...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Archie 1962 FJ25

Autocrat
Threads
Need information from tech experts. I may have found an early low gear H41 (5.30). As per owner its from a 1972 FJ45 with 10 spline output shaft. Its missing the transfer case so no idea what sort of T-Case it had originally. Its way far from where I live so hard for me to look at in person and verify anything. Since there will be some size difference with non FJ25 bell housing and transmission itself, please help me with following -

1) Is there a way to identify visibly an early low gear H41 tranny?

2) How easy would be to bolt on FJ25 T-Case?

3) Would transmission lever align with the FJ25 transmission tunnel opening?

4) Would drive shafts need alteration?

I am considering this only because my stock transmission is playing up and popping out of 3rd gear, besides it would be nice to have an all synchro box, "ONLY" if this doesn't involve any major modification drama.

if you pull the top plate off, the first gear will stand above the plain of the top of the transmission.

It should take std one piece 3/4 sp cases with right input gear. drive to rear axle will then be on right same as front axle.

i do not think it is like the fj25 trans.

2 - not a bolt on, adapter would be needed, easier to switch transfer too.

3 - yes

4 - later model transfer would require crossmember and driveshaft mods. 25 transfer would as well. This was the stage one of mine was at before returning to stock.

Looks like this has been pretty well answered. As for number 3. It will fit thehole, or at least I think it will. But series doubt it will seal with a square rubber plug like the 25 transmission. The H41/H42 look the same on the outside. This looks different from what I've read. If you can get a picture that would help. A number of years around I tried working a deal to trade a overdrive for one in Costa Rica. Shipping killed it. I would trade a FJ25 four speed for one. Would even include the transfer case and bell housing except from NZ it would cost a fortune To ship.

Thanks Rick, Jim and John for the tips, looks like its time to take apart stock 25 tranny and look into repair options. Other then 3rd gear popping and oil leaks everything else seems just fine. :hmm:

John with my limited involvement in searching for cruiser parts in NZ, I am yet to come across a fairey overdrive unit for 40 series. It seems they are rare here as well. If I find one I will let you know. Are you planning to install this on a 25 or 40?

Looks like this has been pretty well answered. As for number 3. It will fit thehole, or at least I think it will. But series doubt it will seal with a square rubber plug like the 25 transmission. The H41/H42 look the same on the outside. This looks different from what I've read. If you can get a picture that would help. A number of years around I tried working a deal to trade a overdrive for one in Costa Rica. Shipping killed it. I would trade a FJ25 four speed for one. Would even include the transfer case and bell housing except from NZ it would cost a fortune To ship.

Archie I was the one with the overdrive looking to get the early FJ40 four speed. It would have been the four speed used in 73 if the US did get four speed. Not sure of what it's called. Haynes manual referred to it as four speed with F engine. Funny since posting this I received a couple of messages from people interested in the FJ25 T/T.:hmm:

When I was looking to trade for the early four speed I was selling a few overdrives. Have since then sold off the ones I wanted. While a FJ25 four speed mated to a overdrive It would a lot easier to just bolt together the early four speed with a one piece transfer case and overdrive. 5.4 to 1 is not that much more then 5.3 to 1. Not even sure it's worth sourcing the early four speed over the H41 I already have.
0002.JPG
0003.JPG

Archie I was the one with the overdrive looking to get the early FJ40 four speed. It would have been the four speed used in 73 if the US did get four speed. Not sure of what it's called. Haynes manual referred to it as four speed with F engine. Funny since posting this I received a couple of messages from people interested in the FJ25 T/T.:hmm:

When I was looking to trade for the early four speed I was selling a few overdrives. Have since then sold off the ones I wanted. While a FJ25 four speed mated to a overdrive It would a lot easier to just bolt together the early four speed with a one piece transfer case and overdrive. 5.4 to 1 is not that much more then 5.3 to 1. Not even sure it's worth sourcing the early four speed over the H41 I already have.
View attachment 957372 View attachment 957373

Wow John, you surely got some treasures there. I am still waiting for some more information and pictures from the guy who is selling it.

Finally got some pictures of an early H41, I did take the top plate off but didn't notice any tall gear in particular as mentioned by Rick earlier in this thread. Top plate does look a lot different then the other 3 H41 (Later Style) he got in stock, Check last picture the closer one is later style H41

DSC_1477.JPG
DSC_1478.JPG
DSC_1479.JPG
DSC_1480.JPG

DSC_1478.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom