USA & Canada 2016 - Pan-Americas: trail suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We're doing our planning for the North American section of our Pan-American highway trip. I want to begin firming up on an overall route and would like to get your suggestions on trails close to our intended outline route.

We plan to bring our expedition prepared LC100 in a shipping container to Halifax NS in April 2016, cross Canada en-route to Alaska, getting there in early Summer (late May). On reaching the border with Alaska then head north to Prudhoe Bay, then south to take in the Alaskan pacific coastline (denali/Kenai,Anchorage etc), Vancouver and into the States. We plan to do a whole bunch of US National Parks including: Mt Rainier, Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Great Basin NP, Arches NP, Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, Vermilion Cliffs, Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, Pinnacles, Sequoia, Joshua Tree and Baja.

And then return to the UK in about October the same year.

Can anyone recommend some off-road trails that will allow us to explore the country and national parks properly. We'll be travelling by ourselves (not in convoy) with a fully loaded LC100 so ultra-technical trails wouldn't be a good idea. The truck has front and rear lockers, 2" lift, winch, fully standalone water and power, 1000 mile (highway) range and roof tent, recovery gear and no trailer. We are happy to wild-camp in back country. We have driven in arctic winters, mountain trails and Sahara desert

If we can get the timing right we also plan to attend some of the major overland meetings too.

Thanks in advance

I don't have coordinates available to send you, but BLM has brochures for several trails/dirt roads in Death Valley which should meet your criteria. If you plan to drive up to Prudhoe Bay, I think you'll need to get a permit from the oil companies that maintain the road.

Thanks for the lead Blade. There seems to be plenty of info on trails in Colorado but not so much in other states.

I'll check the permit situation in Alaska. I know that you can't drive the last few miles to Prudhoe and have to get a tour bus or special permit (unlikely). I'm planning to try and get to hundreds in the hills too if I can get the timing right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom