Clutch Shudder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys i know there is a stack of this title in the search fuction but im just trying to find the first thing i should start looking for, Basically i have a bad clutch shudder in 1st and revers when taking off or feathering the clutch, once its engaged its fine. whats the first thing to look for?

Has it been recently replaced or is the truck new to you?

I would start by pulling the cover and see if there are any contaminants on the flywheel.

New to me Yes, It has not been replaced as far as i know Ill check it out and see what i find.

I'd bleed it. I had the same problem when I first got mine and it was as simple as getting the air out of the system.

To me it sounds like a contaminated clutch disc/pressure plate/flywheel.
Sure as the sun will come up tomorrow, if those parts were new or resurfaced, there would be no judder.
But there is nothing that can be "looked for". All those parts can only be accessed by removing the transmission. If the cruiser has a lot of miles on it (or more importantly has not been driven much)...the clutch parts will be showing their age.

Also, if a brand new clutch, cover and resurfaced flywheel get some grease on them during the installation process, the clutch will judder too.. until eventually the grease gets burned off.

Hmmm, Im looking to pull out the 4 speed and put in a 5 speed im assuming i may as well wait until that happens to go any further with this problem. anyone know if its an easy swap out, i have a 81 hj60 2h i just want to find a 5 speed out of another hj60 and bolt it in?

Find one with a xcase included so you don't have to separate.
A good trolley or two, some stands, a few mates and a case of beer and you'll have it done in a weekend.

Crick are you in perth cause i wanna come over your house with a gearbox in the boot and a carton of beer hahahaha

Sydney, you can't win them all.
I've done more tranny jobs than I care to recall and that's not including the holidays in Thailand....

s***! Sydneys a long way to get a tranny done but Thailand well thats whole nother story haha. Thanks for the info though you have helped on a few of my questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom