Can My LC100 (2UZ-FE) Fit A 200Series LC Engine (3UR-FE) Without Major Modifications? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The title is pretty much self-explanatory. My wife & I own a 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser which we love to take off road, and use as a daily driver as well, but if a 5.7L V-8 can give us over 100 + HP, and nearly 100 lb.ft. of extra torque, with an IMPROVEMENT in fuel efficiency, why wouldn't we rather install one of those when it comes time for an overhaul on the current 2UZ-FE engine which has nearly 220K miles? Then I'd overhaul the current engine and either sell it or keep it in reserve for another future 100 series Land Cruiser.

I plan to source the 3UR-FE engine from a self-service junkyard; there are enough 200-series Land Cruisers, Tundras, and Sequoias equipped with that engine I don't see why I wouldn't be able to find one for ~$1K, then I can buy the parts (and the TRD supercharger) to overhaul/upgrade it to better-than-new condition, saving a ton of cash and keeping our first Land Cruiser in the family for several more years (also requiring/justifying a TON of other upgrades due to the new capabilities, of course). Currently we're hoping to be able to do such a thing this coming year long before we hit 250K miles, if this is even possible.

This would also allow me to keep our current LC as a daily driver, thus delaying our first purchase of a 200 series LC, which will help make our planned purchase of a used Highlander Hybrid for the wife that much more affordable. Yes, we have quality wine tastes on a beer budget.

What are your thoughts?

If you have a guy who could actually fabricate the necessary conversions to fit your 3UR-FE into the 2UZ-FE space, then I'm sure you could do it.

The real answer is no: you cannot fit a 3UR-FE into a UZJ100 without major modifications. The dimensions of the engines are different, the transmission mounting points are different, and all the electronics would need to be changed.

Have you driven the 200 series yet? They are excellent for what they are, and while a tad bit larger than the 100, still manageable for daily driving. Just for reference, it IS possible to fit a 2UZ-FE into an 80 series, but it'll cost you somewhere near 25k to do that. Now, translate that over to the 100 series, which has more "technology" than the 80, and you're probably looking at around the same price to do a quality conversion.

If you do decide to go for it, I'd love to hear about it though haha.

Ya fits right in - very common swap :zilla: And I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a 200 series motor for $1k. :rimshot:

I have no idea how much it'll be, but it will certainly cost far less than anybody selling one on the Internet...have you ever pulled one or more parts off of a vehicle at a junkyard? You can buy things incredibly cheap. I have seen a V6 sold for $250 at one such place a few years back (the last time I was at one. I don't spend much time at such places, but when you need it, such a service is incredibly useful and cost-containing). It's not unreasonable to expect to buy such an engine at a junkyard (probably from a wreck) for something around the $1K I guessed.

But if you have never bought a part from a junkyard I can see why you wouldn't think such a thing is possible.

That would be a task. Would be cool though. How about take the 200 and put on top of your 100 series wheels? :)
Seriously though let us know if this gains any speed.

The suspension of the 100 is not designed to carry the extra weight. Also, from what I heard, the suspension of the 200 is far more superior to the 100. Yet I believe the 100 (as is) is more resilient than the 200.

The 3UR-FE engine is still a relatively hot commodity in the salvage yard world. That's not to say you won't be able to find one at a price that meets your budget for this project, but it will be very tough.

As for it fitting, well, the 4.7 also lived in the Tundra and 200 (200 foreign only), so it might be possible to reverse engineer the engine mounts, and many other parts, rather easily (hypothesizing here). The next big hurdle will be the centered rear output on the transfer case.

The suspension of the 100 is not designed to carry the extra weight. Also, from what I heard, the suspension of the 200 is far more superior to the 100. Yet I believe the 100 (as is) is more resilient than the 200.

Um....what? Are you saying that the 100 cannot handle extra weight of front bumpers, sliders, winch, dual battery?

Also is the suspension of the 200 superior but the 100 is more resilient?

Um....what? Are you saying that the 100 cannot handle extra weight of front bumpers, sliders, winch, dual battery?

Also is the suspension of the 200 superior but the 100 is more resilient?

i think we are geeting of topic guys

Ok where should I start
I’m sure this was a great idea at the time when you were in the bar and drinking with buddies , just kidding :beer::):flipoff2:
What you need is:
1. custom made engine mounts.
2. custom made adaptor plate to connect the engine to transmission (unless you use a 200 series transmission which in that case you need custom made mounting points for transmission).
3. You need to find a way to use 200 series ECU if you are using 200 series ECU and tranny. If you are using the 100 series transmission , then you have to make both ECUs work together.
4. lots of miscellaneous bits and pieces that come up
5. your car need to be at a shop for 3-6 months at least
6. do call on junk yard to get a somewhat accurate price estimates for engine/transmission/ECU/ECU harness because your prices are little low
So if you don’t call these items “major modification” it should be a walk in the park for you my friend :banana:
Good luck :cheers:

is the 5.7 in US-made vehicles (tundra; sequoia) diff than the 5.7 in 100% japan made land cruiser? anyone truly know with facts to back it up? Thank u.

5.7 is around $5-6k in a yard. And that's no tranny ($2k), no harness/ECU ($1k). Good luck.
THIS. i haven't come across a 5.7L yet, but I did find a wrecked 100-series and they wouldn't sell me the whole truck, but instead wanted $7k for the 2uz, $2k for 5spd trans, then you had to buy the computer and exhaust separate as well to make it all function. better to buy a up a complete wrecked rig, harvest what you want, then sell the rest. heck, i've even started seeing some local 100's under $8k, very tempting when you look at used prices for individual components. even better is if you know people who can find you specific wrecked rigs for cheap since many people will want to buy up a 100 or 200 just for a heart transplant into their rig when they see it advertised for sale.

for that kind of money, on a used engine with 150k, i'd rather spend a little more and buy up a nice modern diesel engine and end up with a real MPG improvement. was caught at a light, sandwiched between a new Dodge with EcoDiesel and a new FexEx truck with the new Isuzu diesel....couldn't even tell they were running they were so quiet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom