Duratrac for city driving or? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for new tires for my '99 stock TLC, and see that the goodyear Duratrac get great reviews. I want something that is really good in snow for weekly trips for skiing, Denver front range, but also decent for city driving during the summer months. Do some 4 wheeling, but nothing hardcore. I found them for $190 which seems like a good price for them, but wondering if they are the right tire for my driving conditions or if another less expensive tire will give me what I need. Had Bridgestone Revos (expensive) and really liked them and currently have BFG AT KO's, which are horrible in comparison to the revos in the snow.

Second question, if I just buy 4, new size 285/75/16 and need to put on the spare, 275 stock size, will I have big problems for a short distance drive to get the tire fixed?

Shouldn't have big problems unless you have the all time 4wd 80. What about Michelin M/S? Those a great tire. It's not aggressive looking so it gets good mpgs. Plus it runs 50k and performs excellent in snow. I can't attest to off-road but if you have only minimal light off-road it should be fine. I don't know if they come in the size you want though.

I'm on my 2nd set of GY-DTs on my '99 LC. Very good all around (AT) tire. But, IMO, its weakness is snow and winter performance. Sure a lot of people rave about them in the snow, but, having run bonafide snow tires on both my daily drivers and rally cars for decades, I will warn DTs are not strong winter performers. I pull mine off every fall and run FS winter force snows--with them I get double the braking threshold compared to the DTs.

That said, DTs are better in the snow than BFG KOs and KMs, which so many off road guys run snow rain, mud, hail, locusts.... If your use is more urban and snow, with some light off road, take a close look at the new Cooper A/TW; it will be the next set of tires for my '99 UZJ100. A buddy has a set on his 4rnr and they are simple amazing on snow and ice, as good as Nokian WRs.

And, 285s (33") will fit up in spare well on a UZJ100. A trailer hitch makes it tight.

Get the "new" BFG A/T KO2's every review says tougher then the original KO's and great in the snow. I agree the original BFG A/T KO are not good in the snow had them on a 80 in Missouri. Never got stuck but that was because they were on my 80 Series. I now have the old A/T KO's on my 100 series but it's never been in snow and never will be.

I have had the Duratracs on my 100 for the past 2 years and drive similarly to what you do. I think they are fine in the snow, as well as what you are looking to do. I would recommend getting the spare upgraded as well and rotate your tires every 5,000 miles. If you were to get a flat, I think having a different size spare would cause you a lot more problems than the cost of having a matching tire to your others.

I've run the duratracs on my Tacoma since I bought it 3.5 years ago. The truck had an alignment issue, and the rear tires had plenty of tread left, but the fronts were wearing unevenly. I got an alignment and put new duratracs on it in September. Love the tires and haven't had any difficulties in snow/rain. I would like to find some duratracs in a 37" equivalent to run on my 40 (but need new rims as the DT's aren't available in a 15).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom