rear driveshaft question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
am getting the rear driveshaft built, in the mean time will be driving in front wheel drive. a teaspoon of gear oil came out from between the t-case and driveshaft will it continue to leak as I drive? its not leaking now just the teaspoon when I pulled the 2 apart.

The flange shouldn't move more than a hair. If it is tight and still leaks, you may have a bad seal. If that's the case, you should have leaked even with the shaft connected.

... Or your flange has developed a groove where the seal rides. I forgot about that one.

sometimes oil can creep past the splines; Georg recommends using some rtv on the flange splines during assy to help avoid this. if it only leaks a tiny bit, then it is prolly the splines, if it continues to dribble droplets, then it very well could be the seal. most likely splines tho...

I forgot all about the splines leaking. That makes sense though. A bit leaks here and there over time and is pooled in the flange, trapped by the mating surface of the drive shaft. Remove the shaft and the oil is released.

yep...how's it drive in FWD?

lol drove it for 3 days in fwd and was smooth :) next is r/r the diff oils!

... Or your flange has developed a groove where the seal rides. I forgot about that one.

This is more likely IMO. I had replaced the seal on mine several times.. after about 3k miles it would start leaking again. I finally did a ton or diff work, and just ordered a new triple drilled t case flange and a new seal. I wanted to order a marlin eco seal, but went with a cheapo from autozone. It's leak free now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom