80 Series Engine Swap Options (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I've got a 1993 80 Series LC project that I've been working on. I plan to run the original drive train for a bit longer as I work on it (~460,000 miles with no rebuild. I've toyed with the idea of just continuing to run the existing engine and then rebuilding it when the time comes, but suppose I was interested in swapping a "new" engine, what sort of options would I have? The 4BT and 6BT diesel swaps seem like an immense amount of work and I like the idea of sticking with a Toyota engine.

So what drivetrain options would I have? I want to do some research, but I want to see what swaps others have done and what you guys like\suggest. Newer Toyota V8\V6? Toyota Diesel sounds awesome, but super expensive. Or should i just get a low miles\used 4.5L and stick with that?

I'm all ears!

Budget ? Wrenching skills? Goals/use?

Wanna spend 1500?

Find a good used 1fz and refurbish while yours is running and drop in when your ready.

Wanna spend 15000?
Drop off at one of the vendors here for an LS swap

Wanna spend 25k?

Call Duiser for a 6bt or slee for a 4.7 2uz

Want something different?

Atlas i5 swap is documented on here. Two tonic username I believe

If you want to be unique you should swap in a prius drive train....and hey, you get to keep it Toyota.

Any you do is going to cost $$$$$!

My favorites in order of desirability... according to me...
1. Toyota diesel, this can be broken down even further (1HD-FT, 1HZ with or w/o a turbo, 1HD-T)
2. Toyota V8- This one makes the most sense if you want to stick to Toyota. Plus the 4.7 is rock solid, maybe even more the the Toyota diesel... which I have. But to prepared for a wiring nightmare. Slee's fees are actually reasonable considering what it takes.
3. Chevy LS, which every you choose depending how much money you want to through at it.

And as Duiser Offroad said, "research." I think they may know a thing or two!?!

I am an huge fan of the LL8/LLR swap.

Want to be different? Electric diffs with a 3cyl diesel powering a generator. Eliminate driveline loss from trans and transfer case.

If you want to be unique you should swap in a prius drive train....and hey, you get to keep it Toyota.

ಠ_ಠ

I am an huge fan of the LL8/LLR swap.

Want to be different? Electric diffs with a 3cyl diesel powering a generator. Eliminate driveline loss from trans and transfer case.

That sounds awesome, but unbelievably complicated.

As far as my general wrenching skills, I'm not a genius mechanic, but I've never met a project I couldn't beat either. As far as the money invested, I haven't decided really. Whatever I do, I really want to do it myself. I've already decided I'm going to let someone else do the body work (which isn't extensive) but I don't have the patience or all the fancy tools to do it.

The Toyota Diesels are so tempting, but so expensive. The gains from them sound so worthwhile, if I can afford it. Where are good sources to look for toyota diesel engines?

Right now, I'm very much in the planning stages. Just trying to see what others have done! I've seen some really interesting swaps, Vortec V8s, all manner of diesels...even stroker kits for the 4.5L engine. It would be nice to get an engine with improved fuel economy, but that 4.5L I6 has such an outstanding track record for rugged dependability.

The main thing for me is learning what specificaions are needed for the diffs and having the electrical diffs built is the biggest complication. Check on the Oshkosh Light Concept Vehicle.

I think the LL8/LLR swap makes the most sense and probably easiest beyond a rebuild 1FE. Pick up a totaled donor for under 2k and probably make come back parting it out if that's your thing. I haven't told my wife the main reason I'm looking at buying a land cruiser is to do this swap. I am looking at the added expense of trying it with a 6L80E so I can get the really low first gear and not sacrifice highway cruising.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited:
This is actually pretty close the the output of my 3FE... :(

It all depends on how much you want to spend. Any diesel is going to be expensive just to get stuff together.
it would be a lot easier to do like other have suggested and just prep a nicely rebuilt 1FZ for when the time comes. Add a turbo or whatever floats your boat.

If you have $$ burning a hole in your pocket, get a 3UR and build some custom axles. Add a supercharger with whatever $$/sanity you have left. Hell, a 1GR would be good enough for me.

CRCVCk.jpg
L98 6.o litre

The gm ls swap will give you the most bang for the buck. It's well documented on this forum by several of us. A 5.3l is plenty, and the LS1 and bigger are even better.

Uuuh....nooooo. The most bang for your buck is a Cummins 5.9 12v 6BT. The MPG's pay for the conversion, don't you know!!?? :p

I think the $1500 investment to rebuild a 1fz-fe on the side is pretty optimistic. Not impossible, but optimistic.

full gasket kit, full bearing kit, machine work, pistons, rings, etc. Stuff adds up fast. And this is assuming you do all of the wrenching on your own, having the machine shop just do machine shop specialty stuff. If you paid a machine shop to rebuild it, you'd be in at least $3000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom